Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, so I got me the Anova thing

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum

I received my Anova a couple days ago and then opportunity knocked on my door and through work I got a stupid deal on some whole striploins which I cut into 10 oz steaks. About 28 in total and 2 lbs of trim for stir fry.

I want to package all the steaks in 2's and season then vacuum seal then freeze. Pull from the freezer on steak day, put into the water, attach Anova, and leave for work. Start my cook from work in the afternoon, and come home to a ready to be crusted up steak.

Has anyone done this style of prep? Anything work better over another? I have a selection of rubs to use so I will just label them accordingly prior to freezing.

I am going to do some with rosemary, thyme, garlic too.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't think I would season them before freezing, other than maybe with some aromatics. 
    NOLA
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Striploins would fall into the "tender" beef category so I think 10 hours sous vide is too long.  At 1 inch thick the recommended max time is 4 hours.  At 2 inches thick the recommended is 6 hours.  Now if you are starting from frozen you really just add about 45 minutes to that time.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/learn/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm

I have never tried it, but I wonder if you could plug the Annova into a good automatic timer and dump some ice in with your frozen steak before you leave... have the timer kick on about 1 in the afternoon and have perfectly SV steak by dinner time. (edit - I don't believe this will work because when the Annova is powered up it starts with the menu screen and you need to physically touch start - at least that is how my older model works).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• buzd504
    Options
    With the wifi model, you can start it up remotely.  The biggest issue is making sure the steaks are at "safe" temps until that happens.
    NOLA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    BigWader said:
    Striploins would fall into the "tender" beef category so I think 10 hours sous vide is too long.  At 1 inch thick the recommended max time is 4 hours.  At 2 inches thick the recommended is 6 hours.  Now if you are starting from frozen you really just add about 45 minutes to that time.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/learn/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm

I have never tried it, but I wonder if you could plug the Annova into a good automatic timer and dump some ice in with your frozen steak before you leave... have the timer kick on about 1 in the afternoon and have perfectly SV steak by dinner time. (edit - I don't believe this will work because when the Annova is powered up it starts with the menu screen and you need to physically touch start - at least that is how my older model works).

Im not starting the cook in the morning. I will start it remotely from work in the afternoon.
    buzd504 said:
    With the wifi model, you can start it up remotely.  The biggest issue is making sure the steaks are at "safe" temps until that happens.

That's why I want to freeze them first. Putting them into cold water in the morning would give them the time to thaw slowly so they are thawed in the afternoon for cooking.

I vacuum all my meats that I buy. I have pulled from the freezer in the morning and left them on the counter till I have come home and made dinner. They are in cryo and there is no oxygen for bacteria to grow. that's my thought process anyway. I have been doing this for a couple years with no illness to report.

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Putting a ice bath (not much water)  in your cooking pot and remote start should work. Practice by loading up the pot with ice and see how long the pot stays below 40 * F. That will give you an idea of thaw time for food safety. The adding of an hour or so to your cook time because the pot is going to take time to go from 40* F to 118* F.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• buzd504
    Options
    I think your thaw strategy will work.

I also agree with @Billy Grill Eggster  - leave extra time for preheating.  The Anova takes a while to get to temp.  If I'm at home, I usually supplement the preheat with the burner.
    NOLA