Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time butt need help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered a plate setter(mid-june) and it hasnt arrived and now the fourth has arrived I have a rib rack and drip pan can I cook on just these or should I raise the grid? I have some fire bricks out back and a new bag of bge lump thanks ph

Comments

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Parrotthead111,[p]I have done a butt on my large without the plate setter. First is that you must keep the temperatures down and try to keep the butt off the main source of the heat. If you can build a fire in the front of the egg and put the butt in the back you will do fine. If you wanted to make a aluminum foil "plate" (several thicknesses) and put it under the butt this will help. There is no question that a plate setter is preferred, but when you have to cook then do so.[p]I frequently violate all the rules and finish my butt in the oven. Reasoning has it that once the meat temperature is in the 150 range that somke and flavor absorbtion is reduced. Therefore, what I have done regularly (even with the plate setter) is to cook low and slow, and REALLY SMOKEY, until the meat gets to 160 or so. Then I wrap the butt in foil with a little apple cider in the foil and put in the oven, on a cookie sheet, at 350 until meat temperature is 210. This works well for me. Another tip is to use your Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook to pull the butt. Remove bones and all remaining fatty deposits and put in mixer on its lowest speed until pulled.[p]Good luck and enjoy the plate setter when it arrives.[p]BillT
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Parrotthead111,
    Use some of the fire bricks to raise the grid. Use the rest to form a mass on the lower grid as a barrier from the direct heat. Use a shallow drip pan on top of the bricks to catch the grease. Fill youe lump all the way up to the top of the fire ring. Cook at about 240 dome temp till you reach an internal temp of 200 in your pork. You will plateau for a few hours at 155/165. Good luck, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    Parrotthead111,
    You could also use a pizza stone on the lower grid to provide for a heat shield. Good luck, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    BajTom,
    ordered it with the plate setter :(

• Unknown
    Options
    BajTom,[p]here is what I am thinking I only have 1 grid so I am going to put it on ring then place 2 fire bricks on the grid put the drip pan down and then the roasting rack with the butt do you tink that will work?

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    parrotthead111,
    That sounds like it will work just fine. Good luck with your cook. If your going to cook one butt then 2 or 3 is even better. Leftovers work well for BBQ beans, ABTs, and chili. I'm doing 3 butts starting at midnight tonight. Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    BajaTom,
    thanks for your help I think I am going to start with 1

• Unknown
    Options
    BajaTom,
    thanks for your help. the butt took about 12 hours (6 lbs) I think it was the best piece of meat i have ever cooked again thanks for your help ph