Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna on the Egg

Options
IlliniEgger
IlliniEgger Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a good recipie for lasagna on the BGE along with tips and tricks?[p]Thanks,
IlliniEgger

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    39173a7d.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,[p]Most any oven dishes are easily done on the egg at the same temps. A work of caution, tomato based sauces take smoke easily, they will have a wonderful flavor, just be careful on the amount and quality of smoke. I have better luck with lasagna if I don't make it too deep, other than that about any recipe you like will work.[p]The picture above is my Big Green Eggplant Parmesan, but it will give you the idea on set up.[p]Happy 4th a28000c5.gif
    ~thirdeye~
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    IlliniEgger,[p]How about Dr. BBQ's Alfredo Lasagna with Smoked Chicken, straight from my new book "Barbecue All Year Long. It's really good. The baking calls for the oven but it'll work fine in the egg. Use the plate setter, stabilize at 350 and rotate the pan every 15 minutes.[p]1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese, grated and divided
    1 9-ounce box “no boil” lasagna
    4 cups smoked chicken, chopped coarsely
    2 jars (16-ounce) store-bought alfredo sauce[p]Preheat the oven to 350ú.
    In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, ricotta, eggs, basil and two cups of the pepper jack cheese.
    Grease the bottom and sides of a 13”x 9” baking pan. Pour about a quarter cup of alfredo sauce and spread around the bottom. Lay four pieces of the lasagna in the bottom of the pan, then put 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of one bottle of the sauce on top of the lasagna and spread it around. Repeat this process two more times. Top with the other jar of the sauce spreading it around the sides. Top the whole thing with the last cup of cheese. Put in the oven and cook about 45 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let the whole pan rest for 10 minutes before serving.
    Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGELasagna12in001.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,

BGELasagna12in006.jpg

I like to cook with cast iron. Le Creuset and Lodge cookware have some very nice cast iron skillets and pans. Enameled iron is more expensive but it does a great job. I also use a well seasoned skillet with very good results. Bake indirect with a clean burning fire and your lasagna will cook up great.
    Have fun,
    Clay

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    IMG_1615_1.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,[p]I've adapted this recipe to the egg. I thought it turned out very well. Used just a little bit of guava wood chips to make it distinct.[p]LASAGNA DELICIOUSA[p]10 servings[p]1/2 lb Uncooked Creamette Lasagna
    1 lb Bulk Italian sausage (homemade sausage ask Thirdeye if you want the recipe)
    1/2 lb Ground beef
    1 cup Chopped onion
    2 Cloves garlic, minced
    1 c (28 ounces) tomatoes, Cut up, undrained
    2 cans Tomato paste
    2 ts Sugar
    2 1/2 ts Salt, divided
    1 1/2 ts Dried basil, crushed
    1/2 ts Fennel seeds
    1/4 ts Pepper
    15 oz Ricotta cheese
    1 Egg, beaten
    1 tb Parsley flakes
    1 c Sliced pitted ripe olives (eat 'em from the can, not in the lasagna, much better)
    4 c Shredded mozzarella cheese (3 cups was plenty)
    3/4 c Grated Parmesan cheese[p]Cook sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic in large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and 2 teaspoons of the salt, the basil, fennel seeds and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. (I did this all in a skillet on the egg, you will need a long spatula and welding gloves) Reduce heat to low (slide in a pizza stone under the skillet). Simmer uncovered, for about 20 minutes @ 300 degrees. In small bowl, blend ricotta, egg, parsley and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Spoon 1 cup of meat sauce into Dutch oven. Layer ¼ each of the lasagna (break noodles in half), remaining meat sauce, ricotta mixture, olives if you want them, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese into dish. Repeat layers. I added a ½ cup of water too. Cover with lid. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes using indirect setup (I used some metal spacers to keep the Dutch oven off the stone). Uncover. Bake about 45 minutes more. It’s done when you can slice with a spatula. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy
    If you try this, I’d like to hear how it turned out
    Scott[p]

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    BGEphotos016.jpg
    <p />IlliniEgger,[p]As soon as I saw this thread this morning I knew I'd have to cook some lasagna on the egg.

It is my weakness, in fact if I were on death row, lasagna would be my last meal request:)[p]Here are some pics of my lasagna that I just took off the egg minutes ago. Never tasted it yet I'm letting it cool down.[p]I used Prego Chunky Garden pasta sauce. I browned in onions and garlic a 1/2 lb ground pork and 1/2 lb ground beef added sauce. I mixed two eggs into a 16 ounces of Ricotta cheese and gratted up some mozzaralla[p]Then I layered the pan and spread the mixture per directions on the back of the lasagna pack. I topped it oof with more grated mozzeralla and a little mild cheddar and sprinkled with Parmesan.[p]Cooked at 375 for 1 hour indirect covered with foil. Then I removed the foil and cooked another 20 minutes.[p]Never tasted it yet, but it sure looks good.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Jeesh man! There ought to be at least one spoonfull missing from that picture. Don't tease us, let us know!

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    BGEphotos.jpg
    <p />ronbeaux,[p]You know what? You're RIGHT![p]Gotta have a piece now. My wife and daughter are on the Causeway heading home, can't wait any longer, LOL!
    Just a little appetizer :-)[p][p][p]

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Tiger Tony, dang man, that look terrible. You need to throw that pan away and go out for dinner. But, before you toss it, let me know, cause I want to do the "Thing" thing in your trash can. [p]
    That would be the Adam's family "Thing" thing. Damn that lasagna looks good. T

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Tiger Tony:[p]That is one beautiful meal! Baked dishes are something I want to do more of on the egg. May just have to try the lasagna soon.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    IlliniEgger,[p]Go to the eggsbythebay.com recipe section. Was outstanding.[p]BillT