Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rotisserie Spin on the Joetisserie!

Options

Earlier this week I was perusing through my Instagram feed and I came across the Kamado Joe Joetisserie. Now I know what you are thinking, “You’re an EGG head, what’s this hogwash about a Kamado Joe.”

Well let me tell you about Joetisserie. The Joetisserie is a rotisserie for the an 18 inch ceramic grill, either the or in my case, the large Big Green Egg.

After watching a quick video or three, I became hooked on the Joetisserie. After striking out at one of my local retailers, I called up one of my go-to retailers, Kitchen Window, and lo-and-behold not only did they have one in stock, they had six in stock!

So less than 24 hours after watching my first Joetisserie video, I was the proud new owner of my very own Joetisserie. And less than 24 hours after being a proud new owner of my very own Joetisserie, I had already completed my first “spin” by making a Joetisserie chicken.

Once I unpacked the Joetisserie, it was very easy to set up on my large Big Green Egg. The Joetisserie comes in four parts: the tapered, cast aluminum frame, motor, and a 3/8″ square stainless steel spit rod and two stainless steel forks to hold your meat.

One of the cool things about the Joetisserie is the tapered, cast aluminum frame, which is wedge-shaped. After the frame is placed on top of the gasket of the Big Green Egg, once you close the lid, the unique tapered shape allows the lid to create a very good seal, which helps to keep heat and smoke used during the rotisserie.

As for the setup of the charcoal in my Big Green Egg, you will only need to use enough charcoal to reach about 1/2 the way up to the firebox. I saw one video where the charcoal was pushed towards the back of the ceramic grill, but I opted to just fill up enough for half of the firebox.

I started my charcoal is a brand new Electro Light from Home Right, which in less than three minutes my charcoal was lit, which was much faster than my electric charcoal starter (hint – I’ll write a review about this new accessory too).

Electro Light Torch

For my first spin, I decided to go with a rotisserie chicken. For the rotisserie chicken, you will want to have the pit temperature at about 280 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wasn’t feeling too ambitious about creating my rub, so instead I opted for some Kansas City Cowtown All Purpose barbecue seasoning.

To apply my rub, I applied a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil than then liberally applied my rub across all the chicken. I also made sure that I applied rub underneath the skin of the chicken breasts.

Once I applied my rub, I then took kitchen twine to secure the wings and legs to the chicken, because there is nothing like seeing the wings and legs flop around while the chicken spins on the rotisserie.

After about 15 minutes of heating up the charcoal in my Big Green Egg, I placed my chicken on to the spit rod and secured with the steel forks. Make sure that you place your chicken on to the center of the spit rod. For this spin, I also placed three to four chunks of apple wood in to the charcoal.

Once my smoked had tamed down a bit, my safely secured chicken was ready to start spinning. All I had to do was place the spit rod into the Joetisserie motor, press start and voilà, my chicken was now spinning. Not that it would affect the final cooking outcome, but by turning off the motor and turning it back on, the spin of the rotisserie will change directions.

Kamado Joe Joetisserie chicken

Just like doing a low and slow cook, once your have set the temperature, you just need to forget about it, grab a beverage and wait about 1 1/2 hours. At 1 1/2 hours, this is where I used my Thermoworks Thermapen to check the internal temperature of the chicken breasts.

After 1 1/2 hours, the internal temperature of the chicken breasts was about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. I then cranked up my temperature to about 325 degrees Fahrenheit. I then checked the temperature every 15 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reached 165 degrees.

After a total spin time of 2 hours and 15 minutes, the internal temperature of the chicken breasts on my rotisserie chicken was at 165 degrees. Once I removed my chicken from the Joetisserie, I tented my chicken for about 10 minutes while we finished our dinner preparations.

Once the Joetisserie chicken had rested for ten minutes, I removed the legs, wings and chicken breasts and dinner began. Now I’ve tried beer can chicken in the past in my Big Green Egg by using the Sitting Chicken, but I have to tell you, by using the Joetisserie, this was the moistest chicken that I’ve made in the Big Green Egg.

Lastly, now you may be thinking is it really worth it to spend $249.99 for a Joetisserie when I can go to the grocery store and pick up a rotisserie chicken for about $6.00. I’ll leave that up to you to decide, but for me I am looking forward to using my rotisserie for pork shoulder, homemade gyro meat and tonight we are making rotisserie shish kabobs.

If my next spin on the Joetisserie was just as great as my first spin, I know that is me, my family and my friends will be smiling.

I also posted a full will YouTube video of my entire Joetisserie experience. So without a doubt, please check it out.

I EGG, therefore I am.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Website
YouTube

Comments