Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Place to Purchase BGE in Metro Atlanta Area?

Options
Hey Guys & Gals,
My wife gave birth to our first child last month and for my first Father's Day she told me she wanted to upgrade our grill (mainly to motivate me to take over some of the cooking duties). We currently have a little table top Weber that has been cranking out 4 burgers at a time for the last 7-8 years. Definitely past due for an upgrade. I'm pretty much sold on a BGE but it will definitely come down to price. Looking at an L or XL. Can any ATLiens recommend a spot with the best prices? I'd also like to go somewhere with knowledgeable salespeople. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't live in Atlanta, and I don't even really like Atlanta (no offense, people), but just from reading this board, I can tell you to look into Roswell Hardware.

Your best bet for price is to buy a demo (used once) egg from an egg fest (it still has the warranty), but that may or may not be an option for you with timing and location.
    NOLA
  • ahlthe3rd
    ahlthe3rd Posts: 3
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I don't live in Atlanta, and I don't even really like Atlanta (no offense, people), but just from reading this board, I can tell you to look into Roswell Hardware.

Your best bet for price is to buy a demo (used once) egg from an egg fest (it still has the warranty), but that may or may not be an option for you with timing and location.
    I take it from the "NOLA" in your signature you don't like Atlanta for football reasons. Fair enough. Lol. I despise the 'Aints, but I'm very fond of the city.

Funny you mention Roswell Hardware. I got an ad in the mail from them yesterday. I will for sure check them out. Thanks.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    BGE headquarters is in Atlanta. The address is at the top of this page in their into note.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @ahlthe3rd,

Read the reviews for Roswell Hardware. Some have a not so good opinion about the owner. Roswell does have an extensive rub/sauce collection and a variety or after-market accessories all of which you can buy on-line. 

The Mad Hatter is the most expensive and charges $125 for set-up and delivery. Others don't charge to deliver. I suspect BGE HQ is full price too. 

ACE's will be hit and miss in terms of knowledge. Depends on who's in the store at the time. Could be an 18 year old kid that's never cooked on an egg. 

There's a good mom and pop dealer near me (141/McGinnis Ferry) called The Big Grill Shop (Ptree Industrial/Mcginnis Ferry).

Where in Atlanta do you live?

I'd suggest a dealer close to home and  one where you can establish a relationship with the dealer.

You can price shop a bit but I'd be willing to pay a little more for a dealer close to home and most would likely price match. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My xl came from TLC pool and spa in Marietta. They had the best price when the wifey called around. I've seen some good deals at ACE on Holcomb Bridge,Cooks Warehouse, and Roswell Hardware. 

Frankly you don't need a knowledgeable salesperson. Your knowledge base is right here on this forum. 

I don't bother with developing relationships with a dealer in Atlanta. I just go directly to the mothership with any warranty issues and get it squared away. In less than five minutes, I'm out the door with what I need. 
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    I second what @DoubleEgger said.  My wife bought my egg from the mothership and they've been terrific about warranty replacements.
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options

From my experience buying my egg in 2015 most Ace's run the same or similar deals for their new eggs. As mentioned above the best price will be for a slightly used demo at one of these stores or at BGE HQ. I believe I paid $750+/- for a demo large which came with nest, composite shelves, plate setter, tools, firestarters, and a bag 'o lump at BGE HQ. When I called my local Ace (Dunwoody) they told me they couldn't beat that price, I also called Roswell and was told the same. So I would suggest checking with HQ for a demo then if no luck there call around to the local dealer(s) in your area of town. If you live in North ATL there are probably 5 dealers within a short drive from you, maybe more.

Good luck! I hope your wife realizes she has opened Pandora's Box. The purchase of the Egg is just the opening salvo.

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I bought my medium from the mothership with the cypress table. It was a display model that they didn't want to move to the new location. I won't announce the price because it'll just piss everyone off.  ;)
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @ahlthe3rd - Where in Atlanta are you located.  I live on the southside, work at Northside/St.Joes area and am familiar with a lot of the retailers and the BGE HQ.

If driving is not an issue, Contact two people on the southside....  Jackson Heating and Air in Jackson, GA or Southern Lawn Designs in Senoia area.  Both of them are good friends and will have good deals.

If driving to the southside is not an option, GA Spa in Suwanee and Athens are good locations.

I use Roswell HW for my warranty issues.  Replaced a Ring and a Firebox in less than 5 minutes combined on two separate visits.  They are one of the top dealers in the Altanta market if not the southern market.

Shoot me a email: david.m.richardson@icloud.com or text/call at 678-592-0283 and I'll give you any any all info I can.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ahlthe3rd
    ahlthe3rd Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll make a trip to HQ and Roswell Hardware for starters and go from there. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    I live in the Winder area and just got the large deluxe next package from my local Ace that came with the large egg, next, platesetter, eggmates, ash tool, grill gripper, charcoal starters and a bag of lump. I was out the door a little over $1k. I wanna say the same setup from HQ will be around 1200. I did some price shopping but found that everyone was pretty much the same. Get  ready to empty your wallet once you buy it.  
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I just drove back to Titusville, FL from Atlanta so I know the drive.  For what its worth I called a local dealer here that sells more eggs than anyone in FL.  They have a large in the nest for this Weekend sale for $799.

I just thought I would throw this out there to you.  I am not saying that you should make the trip, just giving you the price for comparative purposes.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • castironman
    castironman Posts: 34
    Options
    I was at Roswell Hardware yesterday. If I recall:  $799 Large / $1099 XL . Includes a small setup of "get started" accessories.  Just give them a call - they are so used to folks inquiring that they can rattle off the full package details and comparison in about a 15 second phone call. 

They will also give you 15% off any additional accessories at time of purchase so I recommend you have a short list of desired add-ons or upgrades ready.  

Congratulations on the newborn! ... Purchase this stuff before the diaper budget hits the books.
    It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am going to focus on one piece of the initial OP post, size--- L or XL. Price is not the issue here.
    This is my opinion so it will be wrong--the size of the usable space is the size of the plate setter, or roughly 2-3 inches less in diameter than you think. Here is why. For indirect cooking, the size of the heat deflector is the determining factor in the size of grid space--now with that said, and a little ingenuity you can easily fit four pork butts on a large. Or you can cook multiple racks of ribs on their side like books on a shelf--so only you will know how much elbow room you need. I personally like lots of elbow room for flipping steaks and burgers or wings. plus I want to put the veg or appetizer on as well as the protein, and all of sudden you are out of real estate. Remember also that Eggs are social and feel lonely without companions--just ask. Many folks here have more than one. If it were me, I would buy the XL.  I don't think I have met anyone who thought it too big and sold it to buy a smaller egg. They simply buy another egg---smaller for those weekday cooks or to do veg/beans/corn etc. I personally have a medium and an XL. I bought the XL 2nd. For the simple reason--I hate running out of room.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • EggPerfection
    EggPerfection Posts: 124
    Options
    I bought from the mother ship way back when it was located on Buford Highway.  My experience was perfect.  HQ has is a luxury here in ATL and I think you should take advantage of it.
    Best - Jack
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 146
    Options
    HighCountry outfitters on Roswell Rd is where I bought my large. Extremely nice people there. I got my minimax from the north ga eggfest as a demo.  I would give Highcountry a call. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Workbench Ace Hardware on Holcomb Bridge Road is where mine came from. Great price and great staff who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They have been able to price match on accessories. Good luck! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The Workbench Ace is only a few miles from Roswell HW. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have bought a decent amount of eggs here local and the 2 best prices are Roswell hardware and the work bench ace on Holcomb bridge road. Roswell hardware's daily price is lower than the demos are at eggfests I am pretty sure you won't find a better deal and they have all the accessories you could ever want including most of the aftermarket stuff you read about here. I disagree with @doubleegger about the relationship a good example from just yesterday I was in Roswell Hardware last week trying to buy a couple bottles of blues hog and they were out waiting for the new half gallon bottles to come in. Gary emailed me yesterday they had come in and I never asked him to or anything he had my email from a previous warranty claim.