Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers on cast iron skillet - question then results.

Options
anez
anez Posts: 150
looking to try this for the first time tonight. Do I need to put oil in the pan or no? 

What at temp has worked for you? Gonna do it direct. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    No oil. Depends how much crust you like on a burger and what your internal temp goal is. Lots of crust--M/R--HOT
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I now consider myself a smash burger expert.  I've researched it.  I've watched the videos.  I've experimented with numerous different options.  If you are using an 80/20 ground beef you will NOT need any oil in the pan.  If you are using 90/10 or higher, you will need a small amount of melted butter (much better than oil).  If you are using less than 80/20 you should never consider yourself a cook of any type.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sorry to disagree.  you do need a thin layer of oil, shimmering hot.  Allow a crust to develop, then press down on the burger and pull when you like.  IMHO.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    And a piece of wax paper between the meat and smashing tool makes it much easier.  Love smashburgers - have them at least twice a week.
    Phoenix 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    What I love about them is making the balls smaller than a usual burger patty, for me about 2 ounces and doing double and triple patties to make a burger. So much surface area and of course more melted cheese :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    No oil + high fat + small balls (heehee) = lots of awesome crust. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    No oil + high fat + small balls (heehee) = lots of awesome crust. 
    You lack oil brother!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bgebrent just speaking "smash burgers, how I do it". Maybe I should start a thread...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like to make them schwety style.  It's hard to beet a couple of schwety balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZcjfh4fIXA

Phoenix 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sorry to disagree.  you do need a thin layer of oil, shimmering hot.  Allow a crust to develop, then press down on the burger and pull when you like.  IMHO.
    In diners, I've mostly seen people put the meat on and immediately smash it down.  What's the advantage of starting the crust only in a small spot in the center (i.e., when it's still a ball) instead of immediately getting the crust going over the entire bottom surface of the burger (after it's been smashed)?

Not arguing, just asking.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Theophan said:
    bgebrent said:
    In diners, I've mostly seen people put the meat on and immediately smash it down.  What's the advantage of starting the crust only in a small spot in the center (i.e., when it's still a ball) instead of immediately getting the crust going over the entire bottom surface of the burger (after it's been smashed)?

Not arguing, just asking.
    Appreciate the question my friend!  @theyolksonyou has been my mentor the last 17 years so I must defer to the Wizard of Yolk. @theyolksonyou?  
  • anez
    Options
    Haha thanks for all the info, guys. I picked up two patties from Bristol Farms. One had jalapeños, cilantro in it. One had bacon and cheddar. 

No oil, got egg to 500, let cast iron warm up a bit. Did about 3 min each side. They cooked fast! Prob around 135-140 when I pulled but were plenty pink inside. And the crust was fantastic. I'm gonna do burgers this way more often. 

thanks again, guys! 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Right, "no oil" except the puddle from your burgers.  Exactly my point.
  • anez
    Options
    Yup my burgers produced all the oil I'd need. Damn they were good!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @theophan I'll tell you the same as grasshopper @bgebrent (although he clearly doesn't listen, much like my nine year old baseball team, but I digress) I throw on 2oz balls of 80/20 or preferably 70/30 on a dry griddle and immediately smash as thin as possible. No waiting. Let it stick and turn with a sharp spatula or razor scraper. Maximum crust. Takes less than two minutes total. Stick it, cook 60-90 sec, flip, cheese till soft, pull. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @theophan I'll tell you the same as grasshopper @bgebrent (although he clearly doesn't listen, much like my nine year old baseball team, but I digress) I throw on 2oz balls of 80/20 or preferably 70/30 on a dry griddle and immediately smash as thin as possible. No waiting. Let it stick and turn with a sharp spatula or razor scraper. Maximum crust. Takes less than two minutes total. Stick it, cook 60-90 sec, flip, cheese till soft, pull. 
    Thank you Masta!  So hard to argue with Jason son!  Master baller he is!  When did you decide to show up at the lake?  Michael and I have a bet.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bgebrent I'm pretty sure we're on a very limited schedule after the next three weeks. If we have to leave the youngest, or both both of at home we can. I'll find a sub for coach at 1b. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @bgebrent I'm pretty sure we're on a very limited schedule after the next three weeks. If we have to leave the youngest, or both both of at home we can. I'll find a sub for coach at 1b. 
    I'll pm you you stingy **** B)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... I throw on 2oz balls of 80/20 or preferably 70/30 on a dry griddle and immediately smash as thin as possible. No waiting...
    I always make thick burgers, but I have to say, all of this talk about diner-style, or "smash" burgers is whetting my appetite.  I'm definitely going to have to try this!  thanks!
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I tried the thin "smash" burgers but didn't really care for them. I did a thicker "smash" burger (probably 1/2") and liked it a lot. I did it the same way but used more meat and didn't smash it as flat.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Late to the party, but I've done them 5-6 times now and they have been, by far, the best burgers I've ever cooked, and up there with the best I've ever eaten.   I was a thicker burger fan until I tried this method.   It's crazy how much flavor is packed into a super-thin patty with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper (and a few toppings).

I let my CI heat on the 500-550* grill for 10-15 minutes so that it's scorching.  I may or may not need the oil, but I do use just a tiny bit and then give it a quick wipe around the pan with a bunch of paper-towels.

I use 4 oz patties because I don't think a thick burger is a true "smash" burger. I drop the very loosely formed 4oz balls onto the skillet, wait 10-15 seconds, and then smash as flat as I can to get the ragged edges and have they just barely holding together.   Wait 60 seconds or so (a few times I've waited longer just to get an even stronger crust), then carefully scrape it, flip, another 60 seconds or so (cheese added at this point), done. 

A few pics from several runs at this.

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • anez
    Options
    man, those look fantastic @clemsontyger97! I'm gonna do real smash burgers like that the next time. thanks for posting. 
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Smash Burger convert here.  I bought a large Lodge CI griddle to use on my XL.  I can cook 6 burgers at a time.  My only complaint is that if I'm doing multiple batches, I have to really have my sh|t together because these things cook SUPER fast.  With the griddle at 500º, it's a constant battle to put on the burgers, smash, salt and pepper, flip, add cheese, remove, add more burger balls, etc....  The family now wants them no other way.
       Well, one other related method occasionally. For a little variety, try smashing out thin patties.  Place a folded piece of cheese on top of a patty.  Place another patty on top and seal the edges together and cook on a hot griddle.  Don't smash or you'll have a real mess.  But be prepared when you bite into one.  That melted cheese running down your chin,  um, um, good.  
       Don't forsee any more 1/2 pounders on my Eggs.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies