Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old vs New?

Options
clifkincaid
clifkincaid Posts: 572
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
My buddy is looking at a LBGE and I was wondering if there is anything to identify an older version then say how mine is built. Mines new. Going to look at it tomorrow with him. Thanks in advance for info.

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I beleive the front handle is bigger on the newer ones, not sure when they started that though.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    quickest and easiest way are the letters on the dome which read Big Green Egg. Older eggs the letters are indented - newer they are raised! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    This is the one he's looking at. $525
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It's a newer one. Just remember to check very carefully for cracks. Take it out of the table If they will let you.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    Options
    well, the letters are raised so that at least means it's newer . Does that table come with it? what other eggcessories? $525 is a tad high since there is no warranty. Be sure to inspect it inside and outside for cracks. I'd start the offer lower and maybe settle at $475 - otherwise walk - that lifetime warranty is significant!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would never ever buy a used egg. At $525 one cracked base and you have more in it than a new demo large. 
  • Lit
    Options
    And eggs do crack and the internals crack fairly often. I just got new fire rings for my XL and MM in the last couple months and I happen to have my Cracked XL and Mini bases out here where I am sitting because we are going to use them for a herb garden. 
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    This is the only accessory, besides the table. Yes the table comes it. It does have a small handle. Mines twice that size.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    RRP said:
    well, the letters are raised so that at least means it's newer . Does that table come with it? what other eggcessories? $525 is a tad high since there is no warranty. Be sure to inspect it inside and outside for cracks. I'd start the offer lower and maybe settle at $475 - otherwise walk - that lifetime warranty is significant!

I guess the price started at 600...down to 525. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I guess the price started at 600...down to 525. 
    walk away - it's not worth $525 used.
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    New ones here on the west coast with P.S., nest and Large, tax...1350-1400.
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    Options
    i just bought mine  last week and handles is much bigger and made of wood
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    They said its a year old. I think the handles have been big for more than a year. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bought a used large from an ad in the local classifieds for $300 with a table.  

Firebox is cracked, firering is cracked.  Still going strong.  Ceramic charcoal grid disintegrated and was replaced with a High-Que anyways.  Bands were upgraded from yellow handled locking hinge to current design for $90.  Installed nomex, which is seasoned and holding up just fine. Black rusty draft door was replaced with a free parted out warranty claim SS door from one of my eggas.  Upgraded DFDW to Smokeware Cap.  Junked table(personal choice) and bought a nest.   

NO REGRETS
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I agree with Ron. Its not worth 525 bucks. Its sitting on the green feet. If they say it came with them you know its old. I think if they are telling you its a year old they are liars. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    When did the casting go from the squiglies to the round dimples? 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    My handle is much larger than that. I guess newer is a relative term. It is definitely more than a year old.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A couple of easy things you could use to spot a newer egg:
    1) Notches in the fire ring for the plate setter legs to sit in. 
    2) Stainless cooking grates instead of porcelain coated black ones. 

I think both of these started around 2012-13.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• clifkincaid
    Options
    The fire ring notches are definitely different than mine.  And the grate (2 cross supports are closer together). Just observation at this point. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Save your money, save some more and put with it and buy a new one. Hell I would buy an Akorn before I would buy that one for 525 bucks. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jeremiah
    Options
    RRP said:
    quickest and easiest way are the letters on the dome which read Big Green Egg. Older eggs the letters are indented - newer they are raised! 
    Looks like what I was asking corresponds to what Ron said. Found this on the googles. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Just a thought and I bet that the Mother Ship already has this information, but I wonder if they would ever share it. Surely there is some historical record of when BGE switched to this and that. Some changes are minor, but others are significant. I know that I alone have seen 4 changes in dome thermometers for instance. Then the "innie" letters vs. "outie" lettering on the dome that I mentioned earlier. Then there are all the band styles, and the handle styles, sizes and even that period that handles were plastic! Then the changes in grills and grates, vent doors and then no green ceramic feet let alone the changes to the fire box and now slots in the fire ring! Man, I'm getting dizzy thinking of all the changes I have seen in just 16 years! 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Unless you are going to save 70% just ain't worth it. These things are nothing but fancy Mexican Pottery....if you think you will not develop a crack or two your sadly mistaken, in my opinion.  The reason they cost what they do is,the warranty....which BGE stands behind. In less than a year I have had a XL base replaced, of which the warranty one cracked after 3 low temp cooks. Had the firebox warranted on the XL...the warranty one cracked after 5-6 lonslo cooks. In less than a month I had the base crack on my Large, when I removed the dome to swap the base observed a chip in the gasket surface. Contacted Bruce at BGE about my over (under?) bite on my Large...he is sending a new band/hinge kit. The $$ you save buying a used one would be best being put in a coffee can and hid in the yard...for when the inevitable happens. 
    Keep in mind this is just my opinion....and I have a gremlin of some sorts riding on my coat tails....my miserable luck does not end with the Eggs....
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    The one you are looking at appears exactly like mine, down to the feet, etc.  Mine is about 6 years old now.  The handle, vent, everything.  If no cracks, I might offer the guy 250-300 max, but no more than that
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Thanks guys....he's passing.  I offered to get him a MBGE for 633 with nest and platesetter tax out the door. Maybe he should save a couple more bucks.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Well Ron I guess I was wrong. Here's one with the inverted letters and uniform dimples. 
  • Lit
    Options
    I believe the first egg I ever saw with the larger handle was at the 2011 Eggtoberfest so that thing is atleast 5 years old. They made that same model with very little change for atleast 5 years so it could easily be 10 yrs old. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hinges have changed over the years - I have the old suitcase style (no springs). I also have the single function metal top, not the dual function daisy wheel like the newer ones.  My base is also a different dimension than the newer ones.  It would be interesting to see the chronology of all the changes.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    Options
    Hinges have changed over the years - I have the old suitcase style (no springs). I also have the single function metal top, not the dual function daisy wheel like the newer ones.  My base is also a different dimension than the newer ones.  It would be interesting to see the chronology of all the changes.
    that history was what I was trying to say with my post earlier.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    To me, I dont care about small handle, raised letters or dimple shape.
    yes it makes it older but a new Egg can crack just as easily as a newer one.
    it does have the stainless grate. Thats a plus.
    check the dome temp guage. If its the newer style it will say Tel Tru as the brand. This would be a plus. Hell, the feet are selling for big money on Ebay.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas