Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Wings

Options

I did wings last week indirect at 275 for an hour, the wife and kids thought they were to juicy (watery). Going to attempt to do them again tonight.

Any suggestions on how to do them right?

Comments

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Unless you are trying to do slow smoked wings, i would go hotter and if you have the means, raise them up in the dome. I usually do mine somewhere in the ballpark of 375-425 raised indirect and pull them when they look good (roughly an hour). You can also do them direct, but i would keep an eye on them so they don't get burnt. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • CraftBeernBBQ
    Options
    Thanks - have a raised 3 tier SS grill, I'll use that and try 400 for and hour or so than take the PS off for a final char
  • ReverePlaceGrillin
    Options
    Couple of things to try out:

1. Be sure to pat the wings dry before putting them on. Putting wet wings on will yield wet wings. 

2. A good trick is to let the refrigerator do the work for you. Put them in pan unsauced and patted dry for about an hour or two before you put them on. 

3. Finishing with some direct heat to give it some good charring. This also will help crisp up the outsides. 

4. Cornstarch - If you want a fryer like crispy skin you can add a little cornstarch to the outside and it will give you that exterior you are looking for. 

Play around with it and you'll find what you and your family like. Good luck! 
    LBGE 
    Dallas, TX
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    I've had good luck with no platesetter at all.  Either way will work by the way, I think the skin is better with no platesetter at all.  YMMV.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Yeah like @ReverePlaceGrillin mentioned, if you have the time to let them air dry in the fridge that's always a bonus then adding a light dusting of cornstarch will help with crispy skin
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you want them drier its just a matter of cooking to a higher internal temp, i go 185 up into the 190's with wings for the dryer wing style
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CraftBeernBBQ
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys!!!! Warming the egg up now
  • CraftBeernBBQ
    Options
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Buy cast iron dutch oven with a lid.  Fill it 2/3 way with peanut oil.  Heat the oil to 365.  Add your wings.  Cook small wings for 10 minutes and large wings for 12 minutes.  Put the wings in a large bowl and add a liberal amount of Frank's Wing Sauce.  The end result will be some of the best wings you will ever eat in your life.

The egg is an amazing cooking machine, but I promise you that the dutch oven with peanut oil will produce wings that no grill or smoker can.  You can't beat the ribs, brisket, or pulled pork on my egg ... but my wings go into the cast iron dutch oven.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I've had great results with this recipe.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    I marinated some in the Allegro hot and spicy for 24 hours. (Someone posted a while back but can't remember who to give credit to) I cooked indirect @ 350 for 45 minutes. Best wings I've ever had!!!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Agree.  I just cooked 60 wings Monday night.  Indirect at 375-400 about 55 minutes.   Perfect.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • CraftBeernBBQ
    Options

Finished Product - 375 for 30min - Perfect

Thanks again everyone, I love this place!!!!!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like raised direct 400.  Wings out overnight in the fridge.  Rub of choice with sauce after pulling off.  40-45 minutes flipping once.  One other option.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga