Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humphrey's or Rockwood Lump Charcoal

Options
GASGUY
GASGUY Posts: 111
If you have used either lump can I get a thumbs up or thumbs down on either Humphrey's or Rockwood lump sold by Firecraft?

Comments

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They both get good reviews (Rockwood #1), why not get one of each?
    Take a look at: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm
    and http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thumbs up on Rockwood.  Lots of threads here with lots of opinions. Rockwood uniformly gets good reviews.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Never used Rockwood, but I've burned a few bags of Humphrey's and really liked it...then it disappeared locally.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Rockwood has been very consistent thru the years for me. Always very neutral smoke so you can use your smoking by woods to meet your flavor profile. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Give both a try and see what you think. I tried a couple bags of Humphrey a couple years ago and it was the same as Royal Oak/BGE lump. Didn't really care for it. Others here have given it good reviews so maybe I just got a couple of bags that weren't very good. Rockwood is my favorite. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just received my 2nd shipment of 6 bags of Rockwood.  Good stuff! Never heard of Humphrey's..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Which ever one you can buy local, shipping can play hell on charcoal.
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Dealer no longer gets Kamado Joe or Wicked Good which I love. All they have is BGE lump. I can get RO at HD, but I won't start that argument again. I have 4 friends with BGE's or Kamado Joe. Was thinking of all of us ordering together.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I like the Humphreys.  It is stocked locally and I can get it for $14/bag.
    I also had Rockwood.  I think it is a little more neutral than Humphreys but not much.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • mindfulwanderer
    Options
    I have been pleased with Rockwood. Burns well and the bags I have purchased seem to have more larger pieces than BGE charcoal. I have done several 15 hours plus low and slow cooking with no disappointment.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Check out the following link:  
    http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal  You can buy several of each and go from there.  BTW-Basque's Sugar Maple is top notch as well.  Anyhow, buy in increments of 3 bags-as it ships (free after $99) 3 bags to a box and firecraft has made major improvements in the boxes.  No worries with the handling. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FireInst12
    FireInst12 Posts: 9
    Options
    Living close to Brockville, Humphrey's corporate home, I can get a 40 lb bag of lump for $22.95. I use it almost exclusively. 
    "Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience!"
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    @pescadorzih, where can you find Humphrey's for that price?  I would stock up for that price.  
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle