Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Paleo Questions

Options
kdink
kdink Posts: 336
For those that have made the change, did you do the Paleo Cleanse? or just changed your diet?

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I did it work about a year.  I just changed my diet.  It was an easy switch for me.  I would still be doing it, however, the wife was not on board and I do all the cooking...  She loves her carbs and cheese too much.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @saluki2007 did you do the cleanse? is that neccessary?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started with a Whole 30 - best way to get your body used to the no sugar experience and to reduce inflammatory processes.  Depending upon how long you have been a carb/sugar fiend it may be very helpful.  Everyone's body adjusts differently - I've had friends who struggled mightily to get off th carbs/sugar/dariy/grain train, it was not a big deal for me.

I'd say if you are asking if you 'have to' do it there is probably something there for you.

I've been doing Paleo for about 1.5 years - lost 55 lbs and have been stable at my fighting weight for about 8 months, don't miss the sugar or carbs overload at all.  i do Crossfit 5-6 days a week at 5 AM and have never had any problem with my energy levels due to low carbs.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    kdink said:
    @saluki2007 did you do the cleanse? is that neccessary?
    No, I just changed my diet.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    I have been on the Whole 30 now for a week, so far its all good.  I am hoping to lose 50 lbs.  I do not think I could do it without my BGE.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Jellyworm said:
    I have been on the Whole 30 now for a week, so far its all good.  I am hoping to lose 50 lbs.  I do not think I could do it without my BGE.
    I do Whole 30 every March or April and it is amazing how good I feel when it's over. Of course, some of the bad habits creep back in...but not all of them. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My sense of it is that low carb and Paleo can be healthy for many people, but FWIW, if any of you have kidney stones, ASK YOUR DOCTOR about it first.  I have recurrent calcium oxalate stones, and I did low carb for a while and my urologist said that was probably why I had a sudden recurrence of excruciating kidney stones.  Never, ever going to do that again!  <shudder>
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    I've been low carb high fat for about 4 1/2 years now.  I just cut the carbs out of my diet - no wheat, no potatoes, no other grains.  Most of my carbs come in the form of green veg and nuts (thank goodness for Trader Joe's almonds).  Oh, and wine, too ;)  Fortunately SWMBO is on board too, so I have good support there.

I have lost over 120#.  I have had some relapses (I am VERY sensitive to carbs and will pack on #s if I go over my 50 gm/day target for very many days) and a number of stalls, but the long term trend is always down.  In the last year I've also started regular exercise - going to the Y for some cardio and strength training 3x week and walking 2 - 3 mi 3x week.

Everyone's metabolism is different, so YMMV.  But it is clear to me that people who say weight loss is a simple energy balance are dead wrong.  Human metabolism is much more complex and hormones play a huge part.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    edited May 2016
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    I've been low carb high fat for about 4 1/2 years now.  I just cut the carbs out of my diet - no wheat, no potatoes, no other grains.  Most of my carbs come in the form of green veg and nuts (thank goodness for Trader Joe's almonds).  Oh, and wine, too ;)  Fortunately SWMBO is on board too, so I have good support there.

I have lost over 120#.  I have had some relapses (I am VERY sensitive to carbs and will pack on #s if I go over my 50 gm/day target for very many days) and a number of stalls, but the long term trend is always down.  In the last year I've also started regular exercise - going to the Y for some cardio and strength training 3x week and walking 2 - 3 mi 3x week.

Everyone's metabolism is different, so YMMV.  But it is clear to me that people who say weight loss is a simple energy balance are dead wrong.  Human metabolism is much more complex and hormones play a huge part.

I've lost 115 lbs all recorded and tracked by weighted moving average. The only thing that really seems to matter is that calories in < calories out.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

LBGE in PHX