Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban mojo pork

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went ahead and made the cuban mojo pork recipe from the last Cooks Illustrated issue. I have to admit I wasn't very encouraged after reading the responses to my post on Friday and considered trying another recipe. Since I had all the ingredients I figured what the heck and went ahead and brined/marinaded a 7 lb. pork shoulder on Saturday. Sunday morning I made the paste and slathered it all over the pork and stuck it on the egg at 8:30. Figured I would kind of do a hybrid cook--part Cooks Illustrated, part Dr. BBQ mojo pork. The result way exceeded my expectations. I cooked to about 185 degrees(7 1/2 hours) at 275 degrees indirect. Let it sit in a cooler foiled and towel wrapped for a couple of hours. The finished product was incredibly moist throughout and the flavor was very, very good. I have never had authentic cuban pork so I can't compare it to that. This had a very strong garlic/citrus taste. The whole family agreed this recipe is a keeper.

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Houndog,[p]I am glad you liked it. My family agrees with yours, It is a keeper! My wife says if it's good then Lime makes it better. So I have started adding more lime juice in my marinade.[p]E
  • Eggecutioner,[p]I will try more lime next time also. If anything I thought more citrus flavor would improve the pork the most.
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Houndog, we love the Mojo Pork. Follow the link for my recipe and method.[p]mojobutt9a.jpg
    [ul][li]Rum's Mojo Pork[/ul]
  • Rumrunner,[p]I will look for the mojo marinade at the store. Have you tried it on anything other than butt? I also like the idea of bumping the temp up and finishing direct to get that crispiness. I did end up going at a higher temp the last 30 minutes due to the fact I had to go out but because it was indirect I didn't get the same effect.

• Rumrunner
    Houndog,yes I did. I did a Mojo Beef Brisket...follow the link....but prefer the pork butt :)[p]I've got a brisket point that needs a home, I think I'll try something with that similar to 'burnt ends'.

[ul][li]Beef Mojo[/ul]
  • Topo Gigio
    Topo Gigio Posts: 98
    Rumrunner, because you are only cooking for a few hours, does the fat and connective tissue breakdown enough? Do the smaller pieces still go through the plateau?[p]
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Houndog,
    I saw your post earlier today at work, but I usually don't correspond from there. But let me tell you, I've been shouting this one from the rooftops for the past 3 New Years Eve's. Not many responses either...seems to be a lot of meat and potatoes pallets out there. The Spanish name is Lechon Asado and it is a huge thing in Cuba and the Miami area (the second largest Cuban population outside of Habana)on X-mas Eve. Works real good at my house here in northern Wisconsin on New Years' Eve![p]My biggest variable is the orange/lemon/lime ratios as I don't have ready access to sour oranges. But yes, a culinary experience not soon forgotten and a delicious break from "plain old" pulled pork (if someone actually really needs that as an excuse).

• Rumrunner
    Topo Gigio, it's still tender, if that's what you are aksing?

• WDAN,[p]Glad to hear someone else out there enjoys this style of cooking. Curious if you have a formula for your citrus ratio-- does it depend on the meat, the cooking method, or simply the mood? I definitely will try refining the recipe I use. That's where a lot of the fun lies in using the egg in my opinion.[p]By the way-- have you used any store bought marinades or always homemade?