Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what the heck happened??

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just cooked my first pizza(on a large bge), and turned out great, but... first off my gasket burnt! Then as I was taking the pizza off, I noticed all the lump burnt like a funnel to the middle of the grate! What the heck did I do wrong. I got to 550 dome, and then had to hold it there for 10 min. cause I forgot to put the freaking pizza stone in, so i put it in the oven for 10 min. as not to shock it. I then put it on the platesetter(using little green ceramic feet) and cooked pizza for 10 minutes(thick crust, know now to go a little thinner). During that time I could smell something burning and sure enough my gasket got fried!
I was cooking with used lump(maple leaf), 1 cook, and didn't add any more, but gave it a good stir.could that have anything to do with it?? And why would the gasket burn, I have had it hotter than that and nothing.
Any help?

[ul][li]http://I[/ul]

Comments

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    smokn gramma G,[p]I burned a couple of them before I realized that I had a gap between the lid and base. Wasn't very big, but it was there. This caused heat to escape, and when your fire is that hot it will try to escape through the gap, burning your gasket. I had to undo the band and align the lid, and tighten very thing back up. Since then, I have had no problems. [p]You should not be able to slide a dollar bill, piece of paper easily between the lid and base. If you can, you need to realign the lid and band.

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    locolongball,
    I did not know that! will try it. till then can i still use my egg as is or do i have to replace the gasket?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokn gramma G,
    you can use it just fine with a crispified gasket...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    stike,
    thanks, and while I am on the subject... how often does one replace these things??

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    smokn gramma G,

Hi I am probaly the wrong guy to answer you. but I just can't resist. My Gasket burnt completely up about 5 years ago. I just readjusted the lid to sit as snuggly as possible. It leaked smoke for about 6 months or a year. Then all the grease created its on seal. I have had no problems since. Oh just one thing You need to be extra careful when lowering the lid. My personal opinion is the gaskets mainly serves as a shock absorber. With the added benefit of seal off smoke.
    Elder Ward

• Unknown
    Options
    smokn gramma G, the replacement gasket kit comes with instructions on how to replace it

• Unknown
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]So is your gasket flat as a pancake with gunk all over it? That is how mine is, appears to be working was considering replacing it but didn't want to fix something that isn't broken. Thanks for the confirmation it isn't[p]Howard

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Howard,
    I fried mine a year ago and bought new one. Someday I might even install it. -RP

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Howard,
    GASKETS We don't need no sticking GASKETS.
    Seriously, nothing, nada I aint got NOOOOOOOOO gasket we are talking zip.
    That is plain lazy but true.
    Carl Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    AZRP,
    I for one, am so proud to see you on the 12 step program.
    Hi my name is Carl and I am here to tell you I don't got no gasket. Thats right I have been gasket free for 7 years,can I get a witness...... We need to spread the word that man does not live on felt alone. Now maybe it is just me but I notice a real change in the flavor of my BBq when the last of that nasty FELT amd Glue was lifted off my shoulders, can I get a AMEN. Listen Sisters and Brothers you too can be gasket free there aint no reason to be a felt junkie. Pass the can I am sitting down. Thank you very much I'll be here all week.[p]On the path to recovery
    Elder Ward a dues paying CARD CARRYING member of FFEA (FELT FREE EGGERS ANONIMOUS)

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Elder Ward ,[p]You're a Damn Outlaw, that's what you are.[p]Breaking all the rules. LOL[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Elder Ward ,
    How do you say this, Oh yeah, ROTFLMAO![p]I can't wait to burn up my gasket so I can see how long I can cook, and adjust, and fiddle, and re-adjust, in order to accomplish my task.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    I wanted to say something religious sounding like "Thank you (Believer, Child, Dude, whatever) as YOU will inherit the (BGE) earth!"
    But...I can't...since "some" (MANY) other of us BGE owners were not so lucky to have purchased eggs with perfectly matched edges that they don't need any gaskets. Please don't knock us "gasket needing" dudes and dudettes. OK?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    RRP,
    Naaaaaa just a little tongue in cheek. If you don't know me stand by for heavy rolls and high seas. If on the other hand you are never sure if I am just having fun or serious assume the first and ask. Don't worry I'll let you know which. B)
    If you got em I anit sure how you can keep from smoking em,
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    Rules?????????? I aint trying to sell nothing. Wait you using the K word? Never did! Bad language???????? NO nO nO. Slap my face and call me korn pone, I have no clue what you might be inferring, SSSSSirr;))

• Elder Ward
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Now wait just a minute here, Master Smitty, done accused me of some sort of malisous act, aint sure what just yet but I will get back to you on that one. In the mean time I refuse to get in addition trouble by leading young folks like yourself astray. I am an old Salt and thats a fact so enjoy the sea stories but don't you go living a wayward life because of me. NOpe just to much of a burden even for me to handle.
    EW

• QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    Elder Ward,
    I did the same with one of my cookers. Worked fine for years. I would have never replaced it if not for the fact that I had to replace the entire dome.