Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which size?

Options
2»

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Not sure how you are going to decide, but large gets my vote, plenty big for a family and too big for quick cooks, the Mini Max is my go to now for weeknight cooks. Let us know what you decide!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yup, XL.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Hard choice - both are very capable.  I started out with the idea that I would only have one egg.  I chose the XL, and have been extremely happy with that choice.  I mostly cook for 2 also.  Having the capability to easily put on veggies at the same time as meat is valuable.  Also, when you want to do a large cook, the XL is perfect.  Can you do it on a large? Yes.  It's much easier on an XL.  I've never had any problem with maintaining a low temp with the XL - it's easy once you get the hang of it, and figure out the vent settings.  There isn't much difference between the time it takes for either a Large or XL to get up to temp.  After 2 years I decided to get a Medium.  I love the medium, and use it more than the XL.  But when I need the space, the XL is the go-to cooker.  Last night I did a fairly large tri tip, some corn and Brussel Sprouts.  Easy on the XL, it would have been more difficult on the Medium.  To summarize though, if you are only going to have one Egg, buy the largest you can afford.  Virtually no one with an XL regrets that they didn't buy a smaller Egg.  Whatever you get, you will have a great time, and cook some great meals.  Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @Rad5   I think either would be fine for your described use.  However, you answered your own question "but with everything I buy, I regret not getting the next size up".  No reason not to get the XL, especially since "but with everything I buy, I regret not getting the next size up".  Buy the bigger one and never worry about having any regrets.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Regarding when to buy, if you can get to an eggfest you will get a very good deal; full warranty, discounted pricing and the BGE has only been cooked on once (at the fest) if that.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    Aside from just having more room with an XL, how does it perform compared to a large? Does it take longer to heat up? Is it too big for week night use? I like to do slow and low BBQ and I have read its hard to maintain low temps in an XL. This is a big purchase for me and I want to make the right decision.
    Performs the same.

Bigger volume = longer time, however we are talking a few minutes difference. If you factor in a good burn to get rid of VOC's and have a clean fire yeah they are about the same.

I use my XL 4-5 times a week, it's not too big for a weeknight. It might get frustrating in the beginning because of the learning curve.

You read wrong. Never had an issue, just be consistent with your lump load on a low and slow. Fill it up to the top of the fire ring or bottom of the PS and you are golden.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    Aside from just having more room with an XL, how does it perform compared to a large? Does it take longer to heat up? Is it too big for week night use? I like to do slow and low BBQ and I have read its hard to maintain low temps in an XL. This is a big purchase for me and I want to make the right decision.

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but what (if any) are you cooking on now?
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    I have the L and when I have company wish I had the XL
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    Rad5 said:

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but what (if any) are you cooking on now?
    I have nice gas grill that I will keep. I also have a 22" Weber Kettle and a propane smoker that is ready for the scrap pile. I was thinking the BGE could replace the smoker and Weber. We don't use the weber that often because its hard to maintain temperature and takes some time to get going... even with a chimney starter. We do like the flavor of charcoal grilling but don't ever do any during the week. I am hoping the BGE is something we'll use on week nights.
    Orlando, FL 
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm pretty confident that whatever size you buy, at some point you'll wish you bought the other size. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Rad5 said:
    I have nice gas grill that I will keep. I also have a 22" Weber Kettle and a propane smoker that is ready for the scrap pile. I was thinking the BGE could replace the smoker and Weber. We don't use the weber that often because its hard to maintain temperature and takes some time to get going... even with a chimney starter. We do like the flavor of charcoal grilling but don't ever do any during the week. I am hoping the BGE is something we'll use on week nights.
    I have an XL and it's just my wife and I. It's my only grill/smoker and have no need for any other. How many people you're cooking for really makes no difference.  For me, the XL is about using a lump reducer and having direct (in the center of the XL) and "indirect" around the outside ring for potato wedges, corn and other things I don't want blasted with heat when I'm grilling.  I use a $8 electric starter and I have food on the grill in 16 minutes from the time I first open the lid (8 minutes with the electric starter in the lump, stir coals, then 8 minutes with the lid down to get everything going good).  I found the XL extremely easy to use right from the beginning, the key is to pay attention when you're firing it up and don't overshoot your desired temp.  It's easy to bring the temp up, not nearly as easy to bring it down once you've overshot your desired temperature.
    Get the XL and enjoy yourself!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Muddyrover
    Options
    XL no question. Asked myself the same questions a few months ago.  Couldn't see using anything less if you only intend to have one. 
    War Eagle
    XL Egg / AR Rig / Woo