Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on my BGE

Options
nhk19
nhk19 Posts: 151
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
Well, the first cook is in the book. Got some good knowledge while doing but also learned I've got a lot to learn. Nothing like a gas grill. 

I did two 5.5 lb-ish whole chickens.  Stuffed with onions, garlic & seasoning. Then coated the outside w/ EVOO & a liberal coating of seasoning.  Cooked at 275-ish (last hr I got the hang of regulating the heat) for 4 hrs.  All in all....it was very tasty.  My wife, daughters & friends who were over said it was delicious.  "Very moist".  It cooked quicker than anticipated and the skin was darker than I wanted.  Pulled off when thermapen showed 181.  Sorry... Pics are horrible.  Forgot to take some when I pulled them off before slicing.  It was truly a learning experience that turned out ok. 
XLBGE
Lewisburg, PA

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I assure you there have been bigger first-egg cook disasters than this. Probably not perfect, but doesn't look bad at all to me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • rockymountaineggster
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think we all are our own worst critics but that looks like a solid first cook, hell solid cook period!
    Parker, Colorado
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Looks good to me! Keep on posting. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    They look good. Was the 181 in the breast or thigh? When I do this I usually keep the seasoning pretty simple, salt, onion and garlic powder. The darker color spices tend to turn even darker. My wife doesn't eat the skin anyway so it doesn't really matter to us. One thing I've learned about this kind of cooking is you really need to allow for one hour on either side of your desired finish time. Also what kind of wood did you use? Cherry and pecan tend to be darker than others in my experience. if they tasted good that's all that counts.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • nhk19
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    They look good. Was the 181 in the breast or thigh? When I do this I usually keep the seasoning pretty simple, salt, onion and garlic powder. The darker color spices tend to turn even darker. My wife doesn't eat the skin anyway so it doesn't really matter to us. One thing I've learned about this kind of cooking is you really need to allow for one hour on either side of your desired finish time. Also what kind of wood did you use? Cherry and pecan tend to be darker than others in my experience. if they tasted good that's all that counts.
    I used Apple wood as you recommended.  The temp was in the breast.  The seasoning was killerhogs all purpose rub & then a light coating of their bbq rub.  Thus, the paprika in it probably caused the skin to umm ..blacken.  I don't eat the skin either.  My wife does though. Loves it.  Thanks for your recipe.  The end result was good.  I'll get better.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options

I think we all are our own worst critics but that looks like a solid first cook, hell solid cook period!
    Thanks!  I'm learning a lot from reading all your postings.  Spending a lot of time on this forum.  Lol.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options

I assure you there have been bigger first-egg cook disasters than this. Probably not perfect, but doesn't look bad at all to me.
    Sorta like it was one step back and two steps forward. I learned.  I guess the other positive was, it turned out to be a pretty good meal. Our 4 dogs got a very little amount of scraps added to their bowl for breakfast.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • nhk19
    Options
    Thanks!  I will.  Next weekend either ribs or a shoulder.
    XLBGE
    Lewisburg, PA
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    nhk19 said:
    Well, the first cook is in the book. Got some good knowledge while doing but also learned I've got a lot to learn. Nothing like a gas grill. 

I did two 5.5 lb-ish whole chickens.  Stuffed with onions, garlic & seasoning. Then coated the outside w/ EVOO & a liberal coating of seasoning.  Cooked at 275-ish (last hr I got the hang of regulating the heat) for 4 hrs.  All in all....it was very tasty.  My wife, daughters & friends who were over said it was delicious.  "Very moist".  It cooked quicker than anticipated and the skin was darker than I wanted.  Pulled off when thermapen showed 181.  Sorry... Pics are horrible.  Forgot to take some when I pulled them off before slicing.  It was truly a learning experience that turned out ok. 

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Actually looks pretty darned good.  BGE is a real learning experience to say the least.  It won't take long and you'll feel pretty comfortable with what you are doing.  This forum is great, lots of friendly folks and recipes.  Congrats and good luck with your new BGE.   We love ours.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    I threw out an entire duck on one of my first cooks....Packers lost in playoffs same night.  Really bad day!
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    There is a learning curve.  Great start brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    You'll get there.  Be patient and egg on.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA