Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt

Options
Ok, I am finally going to try a turbo pork butt tomorrow.  Anyone mind giving me the low down on how to.  This will be my first.  Thank you in advance. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I do mine indirect about 350 degrees.  I plan on 45 min a pound but it always depends. I don't wrap either.
    Parker, Colorado
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    350 indirect will cut your cooking time to 40 to 45 minutes per pound. Some people foil at 160 internal but I don't as it makes spongy bark. Good luck! I haven't done a butt low & slow for years now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Ok thanks.  I honestly don't want to spend the night tending to a fire.  So 10 pound butt should be done in about 6 or 7 hours? 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • GulfCoastSmoker
    Options
    I'm old school about bbq, and all about the low and slow, but I just can't ignore the turbo method results.  I have pretty much switched to exclusively cooking my ribs turbo style.  I  have cooked a 1/2 pork butt turbo style and it turned out great.  What I have learned about the turbo style, is that I like to start out low temp like 225-250, that way it gives the smoke enough time to absorb some smoke.  But I have read that the meat stops absorbing smoke at around 140.  So that is 140 on the outside of the meat, so once my meat hits 110-120, I crank the heat up to 300-325.  But the amount of time is hard to nail down, so I give myself plenty of time, and bank on the FTC for 2 hours, if nothing else for a little cushion.  Because I hate everyone waiting for dinner, and I won't pull/slice the meat because it's not perfectly cooked/rested
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes 6 to 7 hours. I used to pull my butts off at 196-198, but lately 202 has produced better results. Good luck and post pictures if you can.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I will be sure to post.  This is why this web site is so great.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm sure its just me but if I do a turbo butt with one of the sweeter rubs I get meteor bark and I dont like it. If I do turbo now I make sure to use a low sugar rub. Last one I did I used honey hog and I hated the bark. Just my .02

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Something that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure your rub isn't high in sugars.  The sugars will scorch and give a bad taste when cooking at 350 for the time needed to finish the butt.  

On a side note 7-8lbs are excellent for turbo cooking. I've done a couple of 10lb's and find that it generally will take about 8hrs for the meat to be done.  Don't be surprised if you find a baseball size of meat in the center that won't pull.  I saw that on both the larger butts I did.   Good luck!  

Edit - should have read all the way down before posting about the sugar since @biggreenpharmacist had it covered.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm sure its just me but if I do a turbo butt with one of the sweeter rubs I get meteor bark and I dont like it. If I do turbo now I make sure to use a low sugar rub. Last one I did I used honey hog and I hated the bark. Just my .02
    Very good point!!! Since I'm not in the sweet rub camp this hasn't been an issue for me, but I sure understand high heat and sugar aren't best of friends!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I like sweet rubs and so I wrap @160. Turns out fine. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    And we are off. Hopefully we won't be eating at midnight. Thanks again for the help. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've been cooking turbo butts for a while. usually 6 at a time on XL. I cook 375-400F dome and it pretty much comes out 4.5 hrs every time consistently. If you cook more batches, the cook time quickens. 2nd batches usually take about 4:15 and the third about 4 hrs. Always cook to 205IT.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Man if this works out and is as good as low and slow, call me converted.  Put the hunk o meat on at 10:20 this morning and its now sitting at 194 degrees.  Waiting until 205 or so to pull it and FTC until dinner.  No more overnights for this guy.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Just pulled it at 205 and have it FTC'd.  Can't wait to see what is inside.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Sounds and looks great. Please let us know what the end product turns out like. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Call me converted. I don't think I will ever do another low and slow butt. Put it on at 10:30 this morning and took it off at 4:45 at 205IT.  FTC for about 2 hours. Was some of the best pork I have made to date.  Thank you y'all for the help.  That's what makes this site so great. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    That looks like a home run right there! Turbo is the only way I do pulled pork now. Not quite the same bark but otherwise I can't tell the difference.
    Parker, Colorado
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback which goes to confirm once again that the egg is capable of working its magic using the turbo butt method. Glad you have joined our turbo camp!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nicely done :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    What was the purpose of the foil pan beneath the pork butt?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What was the purpose of the foil pan beneath the pork butt?
    To catch the drippings. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    The only down side that I can see with Turbo is the shortened libation time
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    RRP said:
    350 indirect will cut your cooking time to 40 to 45 minutes per pound. Some people foil at 160 internal but I don't as it makes spongy bark. Good luck! I haven't done a butt low & slow for years now.
    Would peach paper be any better or just muscle through without any wrap due to cooking temp?
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Yes, the paper gives better results than foil (better bark) but there's really no reason to wrap it at all.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Would peach paper be any better or just muscle through without any wrap due to cooking temp?
    While peach paper does allow steam to pass thru, but as @OhioEgger just said you really don't need any wrap anyway. Paper is just an unnecessary crutch IMO. 
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Well i am definitely a turbo convert when it comes to pork butt put on the egg.
    put on egg at 830 checked two hours later,
    Then realized the fat cap was up not down flipped it over. Let it run the course to 192 which was about 6 hours later. FTC then around 4:30 pulled it temp was 172. Have to say i am a believer,