Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Mojo Pork Roast - how to cook on BGE

Options
lhousesoccer
lhousesoccer Posts: 21
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum

So, I have a fantastic recipe I've done a ton of times in our regular oven for Cuban Pork Roast with homemade Mojo marinate. It's juicy, tender, explosive flavor .... just awesome.  Takes about 3 hours in the oven at 325-F.  I have an 8-lb Butt-end pork roast marinating in my homemade Mojo sauce right now, that will be for dinner tomorrow night.  Since I'm actually going to be home all day, I'm thinking of "popping my cherry" on the Big Green Egg for slow roasted meats.  Got my first BGE - a Large - last summer. We've done pizza, burgers, chicken (not whole roasted), but never slow-roasted a hunk of meat. 

I'd like to give it a whirl tomorrow, but I'm a little nervous.  Not sure I'll be able to figure out the whole "keeping a stable temperature" thing.  So, any tips?  How hot?  How long?  How do I hold the temp stable?  How long should I start it BEFORE I put the meat on?  Direct or Indirect?  Straight on the grill or in a pan?  Drip pan underneath or not? 

So sorry for all the questions.  I've any one is interested I can post the recipe I use for the MOJO marinade, and the oven cooking instructions.  My wife and son won't eat pork any other way now.  I want to blow them away again by doing it on the BGE.

Thanks!

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Post the mojo marinade please. 

Little Rock, AR

• lhousesoccer
    Options

Cuban Mojo Marinated Pork Roast

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

• 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

• ½ - 3/4 cup fresh aqueezed lime juice

• 1 tablespoon orange zest (I did 2 or 3 tbsp)

• 1 tablespoon lime zest (not part of original recipe)

• 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped

• 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves (I put in whole package, stemmed)

• 8 garlic cloves

• 2 teaspoons ground cumin

• Kosher salt and pepper

• 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder (butt end)

• Instructions

1.      In a blender add all the ingredients except the zest, and pulse until everything is finely chopped.

2.      After blending, add the zest.

3.      Take the pork shoulder and make about a dozen deep punctures, and place in a ziplock bag.

4.      Add the marinade and seal.  Rub it around and work the marinade into the crevices and punctures.

5.      Place the zipped up bag in a baking dish, and put it in the fridge overnight, or several hours at least.

6.      When ready to cook, preheat oven to 325°F. Take roast out of fridge and let warm to room temperature.

7.      Take pork out of marinade and discard marinade.

8.      Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet, set the pork on the rack and cover in double layer of foil, or place on a rack in a roasting pan with a lid.

9.      Roast the pork for 2 hours 30 minutes.

10.  Take foil off or remove roasting pan lid and return to oven for another 30 minutes or so to brown the outside.  It should develop a nice crust.

11.  A meat thermometer should read around 160°F.

12.  When done, transfer to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let rest at least 20 minutes.

13.  Carve against the grain and serve.

Note: This roasting method doesn’t actually require a meat thermometer if you don’t have one.  It produces a tender juicy pork because it is roasted, covered, at a low temperature for a long period.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  No offerings on your questions other than treat the BGE like your oven..stable at around 325*F (as posted above) and go from there.  You have run this rig before-go forth and do do great things.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna have to see what I can do with that. That shouldnt be a problem to convert to a low and slow on the egg. 

Little Rock, AR

• lhousesoccer
    Options

One note on the recipe above. I tend to "over do" the quantities of different things to my liking.  I'm more "by eye" than by measuring cup.  For the juices, I freshly squeezed 3 large oranges and 3 limes.  How much juice that ended up being, but I used it all.  It was definitely more than what it called for, but man did the roast taste good!

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    You would do a low and slow cook like any other pork butt.  Cook to 195 to 200 internal temp and it will "pull" rather than slice.  Try nakedwhiz.com site for recipe on low and slow indirect cooks--here is the link to Elder Ward method which has good info:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm   There is also a mojo pork recipe on that site.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    285 or so till tender.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    If you will be able to then definitely do it on the egg. You can follow your oven time/temp or go lower and cook longer for pulled pork. 

I would load charcoal to the top of the fire ring, light in 2 or 3 places and after 5 min or so put the place setter in and start adjusting vents when you are 50 degrees below your target. If you overshoot too high it takes a while to cool back down but you will be putting a big hunk of meat in so it can help sink some temp. I would like 45-60 min before you want to cook so your smoke will be nice and clean. 

Don't go crazy adjusting vents as each change will take a while to have full effect. Even when you add the meat it might dip but hold off on changing vents since it will come back on its own. 

Good of luck and post pics

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    BigWader said:

Don't go crazy adjusting vents as each change will take a while to have full effect. Even when you add the meat it might dip but hold off on changing vents since it will come back on its own. 

This was my biggest problem. I'd see it heading in a direction and try and head it off. Just make sure you give any adjustments plenty of time to settle out.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You would do a low and slow cook like any other pork butt.  Cook to 195 to 200 internal temp and it will "pull" rather than slice.  Try nakedwhiz.com site for recipe on low and slow indirect cooks--here is the link to Elder Ward method which has good info:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm   There is also a mojo pork recipe on that site.
    Except this is not a pulled pork cook. His oven recipe cooks to 160° and takes only 3 hours for a 3-4 lb butt. Then it is SLICED.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Carolina. I thought the question was how to cook that butt lo and slo on the egg?    So that is what I was answering
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Carolina. I thought the question was how to cook that butt lo and slo on the egg?    So that is what I was answering
    @SmokinTiger81, the way I read it, he wants to duplicate what his family likes, but do it on the egg so it's even better. If he cooks to your stated temp, he will be turning it into pulled pork, a completely different cook.

But I could be wrong. =)

I found this pic online (an oven cook). I think I'll go buy some oranges and hunk o' meat!

Pic credit... http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/04/09/cuban-mojo-marinated-pork-recipe/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Oh, Okay, assuming he just wants to do same cook in the egg instead of the oven, then he can just use same temps and time in the egg as the oven..  If he wants slow cooked but still sliced off the egg, then I guess pull it off egg at 175 to 180 internal?   If he wants pulled pork, just cook to 195 to 200 internal.
  • lhousesoccer
    Options

Carolina and SmokinTiger - you're both right, in a way.  I may have confused people with my original post.  I do want to replicate the pork roast I make in the kitchen, but by doing it on the Egg.  I understand I can use it just like an oven, and pretty much cook it at the same time and temp and probably get the same results.  I was hoping the BGE would make it taste better than the oven, I suppose because it's cooked over a fire, instead of in my gas-oven.  So, I don't know if just by doing so on the BGE, but with more or less the same time and temp, that it will taste any better.  Or, if to get that real fire-cooked hunk of meat flavor I need to do a low-and-slow.  At this point in the day, I'm running behind, so the low-and-slow may have to wait for another day.  I might do a "lower-and-slower"  :-)  and see what happens.

SnokinTiger - funny you found that recipe.  That's the recipe I use, though not from that site, though I did see that site.  As the site you found says, the recipe is actually from the movie CHEF (see it if you haven't already).  There's been a number of food blogs that have published the Mojo Pork recipe from that movie.  The photo you inserted from the food blog is exactly how my roast looks when it comes out of the oven.  And yes, it's awesome.  It's now a monthly meal in our house!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Doing it at the same times, roughly, and temps will impart a different flavor.  A better flavor if you ask me.  I have done several side by side cooks, same cut of meat with the same rubs/marinade.  One in the egg, the other the oven.  Def a different flavor profile whether you add smoking wood or not, IMO.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I use that mojo pork recipe when I do butts for Cuban sandwiches, which I will be serving at upcoming Georgia Mountain Eggfest.   I think the low and slow will give you more bark and flavor, but you will have to try it and see.  And I do cook it to 195 internal and pull it rather than slice.  At 250 dome temp I allow at least 1 1/2 hour per pound of raw butt, and often plan on 2 hours.  And when done, wrap in foil, towels and in a cooler for 2 + hours for very moist butt.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @lhousesoccer, If you do everything exactly the same, the egg cook will most definitely be better. I have done many cooks in both oven and egg and the egg is ALWAYS better. Pulled pork, for example. I have done it in my mom's oven when visiting and while it's not bad, it's sure not as good as my egged version.

If you cook this Cuban pork to 195-200°, it won't slice, it will fall apart, oven or egg. If that's what you want to try, fine. But if you like the sliced original and want to improve it by cooking on the egg, just do the same thing, to the same temp.

I found that food charlatan recipe by searching for Cuban Mojo Pork Roast just to check a few other recipes for comparison. I saw 2 or 3 places where they referred to the movie. Apparently, the movie producers hired a chef to come up with a recipe just for the movie. This charlatan link had the prettiest photos! =)

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. With pics of course! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.                                                                            Woody Allen
    I prefer my oyster fried.
    Then I'm sure my oyster's died.
    Roy Blount, Jr.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh heck, let me post the whole poem.  Roy Blount, Jr. is a writer and comedian, and wrote a book of poems about food, some of which are hysterical. I heard him on the radio, and his Southern accent really helps the words come across.

The first part of this needs to be understood as ironic -- he doesn't mean it!  Read "nothing's slicker, nothing's moister...," "to dischorge," and especially, "if your mind dwells on an oyster..." as if you're turning green and about to hurl.  (I actually like raw oysters, but I love those last lines anyway.)

Song to Oysters
    I like to eat an uncooked oyster.
    Nothing's slicker, nothing's moister.
    Nothing's easier on your gorge
    Or, when the time comes, to dischorge.
    But not to let it too long rest
    Within your mouth is always best.
    For if your mind dwells on an oyster...
    Nothing's slicker. Nothing's moister.

Roy Blount, Jr.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.                                                                            Woody Allen
    Roy Blount, Jr.
    Hahaha! A slight improvement... but it's still an oyster!  :sick:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Forgot to mention this... Flay has a recipe that might be good with this pork...

Mojo Dipping Sauce

8 cloves garlic
    1 serrano chile, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/mojo-marinated-pork-recipe.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lhousesoccer
    lhousesoccer Posts: 21
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey Everyone - just wanted to say thanks for the tips on cooking my Cuban pork roast.  I did an indirect heat cook pretty much like a regular kitchen over.  About 3 hours at 325-F.  The roast came out perfectly crispy on the outside and wicked juicy on the inside, and full of Cuban flavored goodness.  I'm sorry to whoever asked for pics.  I completely forgot.  I was cooking with my brother who I hadn't seen in a year .... and we got distracted.  There may have been beer involved.

Anyways, I'm doing venison steak tips marinated in Worchestershire, garlic, balsamic, olive oil and Montreal steak spice right now, we BBQ'd veggies and sweet potatoes. Here's a pic of that.