Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chasing burgers....

Options
...on a Large thanks to the grate being so deep in the Egg...seen a spatula on a video on some stores site that was bent and had a movable side that grabbed the burger. Several emails, no response. How do you folks deal with this?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I use a quick motion at a 30-45 degree angle to get under the patty to flip. No issues playing burger hockey. Perhaps get a longer-bladed spatula? That may help too.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I just let it hit the side of the inside egg

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    You can do it with practice. Without practice you can use another utensil to keep it from escaping.
  • damnedhooligan
    damnedhooligan Posts: 213
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great suggestions mentioned above. You can also use a fork or spoon on the opposite end of the burger to prevent it from escaping when flipping.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I rarely use the stock grate height
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I do burgers raised direct at felt level.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    That's what your other hand is for. Put your finger on the patty and scoop her up. No problem!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Get a Woo... I cook at grate level 95% of the time now. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I now raise them. Grid level. 

And go a a bit lower than megasear. This lets me get under he burger more easily and minimizes flaring when doing a lot of burgers at once (and the lid is open for a long time as you flip twenty of the damn things)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I now raise them. Grid level. 

And go a a bit lower than megasear. This lets me get under he burger more easily and minimizes flaring when doing a lot of burgers at once (and the lid is open for a long time as you flip twenty of the damn things)
    How do you go about raising them? Megasear?
    What I have been doing is just letting them slide to the side of the Egg. Problem is am having with that is the ground beef I bought, think it was 73-27, flares a lot. What has been happening is when I start pushing the burger it leaks a bit...and I end up with a fireball right under my hand. Have tried cooking over the cast iron platesetter only to end up with the platesetter on fire....

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited April 2016
    Options
    BBQ glove will protect your hand during flare-ups.

To raise the grill, people get a 3 thin bricks or pipe to put on the side and rest the grate on it.  Other people buy a Woo or similar thing that provides multi-level cooking.

I normally do my burgers at or below stock height depending the grill I'm using.  However, if I'm doing a lot of them, I'll do them raised for easier access and allow a wider fire.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.