Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a Lil Steak

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Friday,the wife and I decided we needed to celebrate a little bit. We both knocked off work at 2:30 and hit up a bar for a drink or two before picking up the Lil Man from daycare. I really liked this sign.

One reason we are celebrating is this will be the last cook at this crappy rent house. So she went and got The Duke and I swung by David's Meat Market and snagged this Prime Bone in Ribeye. We don't eat a whole lot of steaks, and I don't usually pony up that much for one, but at $17.99 a lb, I wanted to do it right, so a reverse sear it was.

Lotta cooks in this crappy yard, but I'm not going to miss it. Finally gonna get rid of my table made of old pallets and build something nice. Or so the wife has told me.

Searing it off on the Mini. Wish I would have gotten it hotter. 700 didn't give it the sear I wanted, but I wasn't going to overcook it either.

My pictures of steak never seem to come out that good. Probably cuz I was sitting in a room with poor lighting, but you get the point. That was one of the best steaks I've ever cooked. Maybe even eaten. Gonna start doing reverse sears more often.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great. Get you a house? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,117
    Options
    Awesome steak!  Congrats on the move. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great Sinatra quote and great looking ribeye!  Good luck with the move.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,170
    Options
    Oh.....poor lighting (candle light no doubt), and a steak celebration. Bet this has an even better ending. Your steak looks awesome all the way through. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Griffin
    Options
    Yep, @henapple we're getting a house. We were supposed to close on the 13th, but due to hail damage, we have to wait till they put on a new roof and gutters. Fine by me, but now we have to rent the house from them till we close cuz we have to get out of the house we are in. Oh well. Gonna be a busy week. I hate moving but we won't be doing it again for a long time.

Rowlett, Texas

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First off Congratulations on becoming a homeowner. There are certainly +'s & even -'s to it. But, I'll take the positives owning a home over renting. Eggcellent cook. And I'm in the same boat in regards to not shelling out $17.99 per#...well at least not often. Cheers and enjoy the eats and HOME. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Congrats on the house Griff.  That is one great looking fork..er....I mean steak.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Congrats on the house, and fine looking steak!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice steak!  Congratulations on the new home.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,750
    Options
    You did good with that hunka steak.

And congratulations on becoming a homeowner! Whatever else folks may say about owning a home and all that comes with it, there's nothing quite like hanging around in YOUR OWN space with meat on the fire.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great looking steak, and congrats on your new home!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Congrats on buying a house, not easy in the Dallas market right now! 

Does this mean you're moving out of the 'chard?
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That steak looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Congrats on everything, especially the house. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,757
    Options
    Steak looks great. I still get nervous when I shell out for a more expensive cut, but you certainly did justice to that ribeye. Congrats also on the house. Exciting times.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

That is a great looking steak. It was last August since my last steak and with the looks of yours, I'll have it on my short list now.

Congrats on the house. When is the house warming party?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That looks delicious, perfect even doneness just like I'd shoot for - got me looking forward to my next steak cook!

One tip, (I want to qualify due to the fact that I don't own a mini) but for a good sear its suggested to place the meat on a different part of the grate for turns and flips. On a mini I'm guessing its just flipped/turned in the same spot it was in. 

Try removing the plate setter from your large and raise the temp to 600 or so, it doesn't take long and gives the steak time to rest, should give you all the room you need for perfect searing! and as an added bonus, you can serve directly after sear because it already rested while your temp was coming up.

Congrats on the house :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    @Griffin
    Did you go to Dave's because it is closer to you, or because it's more economical?  (I haven't yet been to Dave's, first I'd heard of him actually)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options

@griffin

I guess great minds think a like. I sent Dave's on Saturday and did the same thing. Congrats on getting your own place.

Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • Griffin
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    @Griffin
    Did you go to Dave's because it is closer to you, or because it's more economical?  (I haven't yet been to Dave's, first I'd heard of him actually)

David's. Because it was close to me, though it won't be anymore.

Thank's @Thecoiman How did you like yours, I thought it was a pretty good steak IMHO. Gonna have to find a butcher in Rowlett now...if there is one.

Rowlett, Texas

• Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    @griffin I thought it very good. Dave's is not that far from Rowlett. We live at 190 & 78, behind Home Depot. It's only about 10 min drive. You know everything the MetroPlex is 45 min a away :)
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Steak looks great and congrats on the new house. I hope you enjoy many years of egging there.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Congrats on the home purchase! Meal looks delicious! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD