Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New house

Options
I am closing on my first house in a couple of weeks and looking for some feedback on how I should put my egg on my back porch. The porch has a somewhat of a low ceiling (8'), but I didn't want to smoke it up - especially since it's white. Any suggestions are welcome. I'd love to do an outdoor kitchen/entertaining area but don't think there's enough room for that. 
Opelika, AL

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am real good at spending your money! I would pour some concrete adjacent or around the porch and save the porch area for furniture. Place the egg on the new patio. Never have too much deck/patio IMO. Nice looking egg spot I must say. 
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can get free pavers/wall block (or almost free), so I may extend it out the back. 
    Opelika, AL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I agree with Pete on this one. That could be a cool egg area with a nice dinning table under the covered area. Lay down a concrete slab and go from there. Remember you don't have to mow concrete.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Congrats on the new house.. It looks great. Agree with @pgprescott. Looks like you have an empty pallet to work with around your porch.. You should be able to create a great cooking area, and looks like you have lots of great shade. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.. Good luck..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Congratulations!  I agree with the above.  Be sure the new slab is big enough to accommodate several more eggs!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    I agree with @pgprescott, hardscape around the porch and put the egg out there. Maybe even consider screening the porch. It will extend your living area. We spend a lot of time on our screened porch. The pollen is almost done so now I can get the pressure washer out and get it cleaned up. Then the Mrs does her thing with cushions, plants, and throw rug. We eat many meals out there...
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I would offer that you give the current set-up a trial run unless you want to spend the $$ now.  I egg on a covered but open porch with a 9' ceiling and about 5' clearance from the LBGE (nested) exhaust.  Have not had a smoke build-up of notice.  Ceiling is siding material and off-white.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    My advise?  Take your time. I would not do anything for a year. Rig something temporary up, and then pay close attention to the prevailing wind direction, sun exposure, and views through all four seasons.

However, If you really want to get to that job right away, and  since you asked, you already have one immediate fantastic option depending on how handy and gutsy you are. Rip that white ceiling off. Expose the rafters. Stain the pine trusses dark and buy a few new thin boards to cover the lambeam headers (assuming that is what they used) to make them look nice.  Spray the underside of the roof sheeting with a darker stain as well.  Get a good 12 volt transformer and rig up dimable led lights that can do any color. Running wire on top of the beams is quick, easy and will never be seen. Put the LEDs on the top side of the rafter so they reflect off the roof, and you will never see them.  Use the electric from the roof fan and put a vented roof up top so you can use a "exhaust fan" at the top to expel smoke. Disguise any nails by distressing the wood beforehand so the stain is uneven.  You will never see them.  2-3 dedicated weekends with a buddy, and you could be done.  

But personally I would wait a year and see what YOU really want. Pouring concrete is cheap and easy. Tearing it out to make changes is a different story. Make sure you get what you want and your needs are met. 

Congratulations on the house!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    My advise?  Take your time. I would not do anything for a year. Rig something temporary up, and then pay close attention to the prevailing wind direction, sun exposure, and views through all four seasons.

However, If you really want to get to that job right away, and  since you asked, you already have one immediate fantastic option depending on how handy and gutsy you are. Rip that white ceiling off. Expose the rafters. Stain the pine trusses dark and buy a few new thin boards to cover the lambeam headers (assuming that is what they used) to make them look nice.  Spray the underside of the roof sheeting with a darker stain as well.  Get a good 12 volt transformer and rig up dimable led lights that can do any color. Running wire on top of the beams is quick, easy and will never be seen. Put the LEDs on the top side of the rafter so they reflect off the roof, and you will never see them.  Use the electric from the roof fan and put a vented roof up top so you can use a "exhaust fan" at the top to expel smoke. Disguise any nails by distressing the wood beforehand so the stain is uneven.  You will never see them.  2-3 dedicated weekends with a buddy, and you could be done.  

But personally I would wait a year and see what YOU really want. Pouring concrete is cheap and easy. Tearing it out to make changes is a different story. Make sure you get what you want and your needs are met. 

Congratulations on the house!  
    Thanks. Great advice! 
    Opelika, AL
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I agree with the wait and see idea. I am new to the egg thing (8 months) and I still bring my egg out of the garage for each cook until I figure out a final system.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My friend/neighbor had a covered back porch with an egg under it.  The egg was at the edge, and he used a simple pedestal fan pointed at the top of the egg to blow the smoke out of the porch.  It will be nice to have the egg under cover if it is raining out. 

Lasko Cyclone 18 in Adjustable Pedestal Fan

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ya lost me at "pouring concrete is cheap and easy".  lmfao
    Tell that one to the "crete" guys.
    Somebody has watched too many fast set pour into the mailbox hole, add water, and stick mailbox post in commercials.  

Finishing with a bull float alone, is a damn art. 

Even just loading thousands of the 80lb bags of Quikrete in the lumber dept for 5 years through school sucked.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Agree with many on being patient and waiting to do anything drastic. I would also add that I prefer having a roof over the egg.
    Stillwater, MN