Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small burn out, but big on temperature

Options
13»

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    IMO, these are not precise instruments with a specific tolerances and correpsonding breaking point. There will be variance from one Egg to the next, and high heat may be compounded by other factors. A clean burn that may be okay for one Egg (in one climate) may be problematic for another. I see no reasons why both approaches cannot be valid. And hey, if you've got the warranty, what does it matter? Live and let live, right?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

Ron, Ron, Ron, I've been trying to explain to you for ten tears that I'm not that kind of electrician. I work with high frequency machinery, induction welders and heaters and such. Although I have been known  to pee my pants on occasion it's usually a result of beer consumption. Ask anyone who knows me. Jeezus, I compliment the living daylight out of you and you respond with disrespect

You are SO correct, Sir! My apologies for bunching you in with electricians! I remember seeking your advice years ago about a motor on my workshop dust collector and your advice was to see an electrician. May the LaBomba gods smash my last jars which you sent me just to smite me for my lost of memory!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    RRP said:
    Just a shameless follow up report. That high temperature burn off did no damage, my fire box and fire ring are white once again and the previously cruddy dome is now medium gray and the layered flakes came off with a putty knife. 
    Any pics? The underside of my platesetter stays white but I've done one high heat clean burn on my large and didn't achieve the white finish that others have mentioned, just curious what it really looks like.
  • RRP
    Options
    feef706 said:
    RRP said:
    Just a shameless follow up report. That high temperature burn off did no damage, my fire box and fire ring are white once again and the previously cruddy dome is now medium gray and the layered flakes came off with a putty knife. 
    Any pics? The underside of my platesetter stays white but I've done one high heat clean burn on my large and didn't achieve the white finish that others have mentioned, just curious what it really looks like.
    Sorry, no pictures, but I have to ask - when you did your burn out was your PS still in place? How about your grill grate? Both of those will hinder the burn off of the crud in your dome. BTW I have never even once achieved the point of a white dome.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Lit said:
    RRP said:
    interesting =) your ok with 1200 degree pizza cooks but 800 degrees is out

Michael, no sense trying to converse with Lit. 
    Ron it's stupid to do high heat clean burns several others have said they are not necessary as well. Do you ever admit you are wrong? You are wrong Ron. Wrong! That means not right. I will never change my opinion to be wrong with you. That you are right on. 

I regularly do high heat clean burns and never had a problem.  (All 3 of my eggs)

Am I stupid? 

When your egg cracks you'll have your answer.
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said: 

I regularly do high heat clean burns and never had a problem.  (All 3 of my eggs)

Am I stupid? 

Ah - the fungus is back among us! Dog gone it - just about when I have to get to bed! I'm sure that @Lit will share all his wisdom with you while bashing me. But I have dealt with his type before.
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said: 

Am I stupid? 

Ah - the fungus is back among us! Dog gone it - just about when I have to get to bed! I'm sure that @Lit will share all his wisdom with you while bashing me. But I have dealt with his type before.
    Do you even have an egg I can't remember you posting any cooks?
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    High temp burns are stupid on its face. I like Ron and @Lit.  They're unnecessary and clearly are related to cracked ceramics.  Define the reason for a high temp burn vs not doing a high temp burn.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    RRP said:
    feef706 said:
    RRP said:
    Sorry, no pictures, but I have to ask - when you did your burn out was your PS still in place? How about your grill grate? Both of those will hinder the burn off of the crud in your dome. BTW I have never even once achieved the point of a white dome.

Well I believe you, I have only done one clean burn, no plate setter in place, but I foil the top of my plate setter for my low and slows, but the low and slows keep the under side stays clean. Was just curious how clean others eggs get. I'm not gonna tell @Lit I'm an RTIC fan....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    @lit to wake up in the morning and think, "hey, I'm gonna be a d!ck today?"

You may have a point with clean burns, but your contribution gets lost in all your posing.

Ron will keep doing high heat clean burns, you will keep doing long burns at 500.

Guess what?  Not everything in life can be distilled down to "right" or "wrong".
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    High temp burns are stupid on its face. I like Ron and @Lit.  They're unnecessary and clearly are related to cracked ceramics.  Define the reason for a high temp burn vs not doing a high temp burn.
      Brent, for me it all points to the way the egg is constructed and its mechanical parts that need to work in harmony with the ceramics for a good cooking experience. I also think the size of the egg has an impact on how I use it.  How many times have you read about someone having alignment issues with a small or mini?  Not many that I've read.  I think that has to do with the weight of the dome in the bands. Who knows.  I will run my smaller eggs hotter than my large. 
      Now to the most common size that we read about, the large.  I refuse to go nuclear to get rid of the crud in my egg when I can do it at a moderate 500-600 burn for a couple of hrs. I don't do a lot of high fat cooks like @fishlessman so maybe my theory only works for me. No scientific notes but I've read about too many bases cracked,gaskets welded shut and so on right after a "clean burn".  No thank you.  If it works fir some and they have the cohoneys to do it more power to them.  Not for me.  My dome is black and I'm proud of it!! Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    So, all this talk about cracked eggs.  Should I not be doing reverse searing?  When I sear, I have my egg at 800+

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    So, all this talk about cracked eggs.  Should I not be doing reverse searing?  When I sear, I have my egg at 800+
    I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you have warranty. I wrap my dome thermometer around doing pizza and sears with my large egg that's over 6 years old. Never had a warranty claim other than my metal fire grate. Does it have a better chance of cracking at higher temps? Could be. I'd be more cautious with a used egg. People have had their egg crack at 250 degrees. All kinds of factors play into it. High temps are just one guess on why they do. Million dollar question otherwise 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    With a sear it pizza you are only approaching thermonuclear meltdown for a few minutes, not a few hours. It can handle that no problem. 

Ive burned out at 1000, 800, and 700 and had damn near the same results. I'll stick with 700!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Lit
    Options

You may have a point with clean burns, but your contribution gets lost in all your posing.

Ron will keep doing high heat clean burns, you will keep doing long burns at 500.

Guess what?  Not everything in life can be distilled down to "right" or "wrong".
    Don't think I'm being a **** at all. If anything Ron is being a **** posting about high heat cleans new guys are gonna join and not know you are risking cracking your egg doing something you don't need to do. This isn't the first time he has done it just like 6 months ago he posted about high heat cleaning and the next day a guy posted he did one on his egg he had for year and it cracked and I tagged Ron so he would see it so he knows and he still posts it again. That is ****. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Lit said:
    maybe i get more grease in mine and heavy black flaky buildup doing low and slows direct all summer long that my egg does need an occasional burn out. grease from one duck low and slow, do others get this =) thats just the grease building up on the daisy which needs burning off. if your style of cooking doesnt build up that tarpaper gunk over time then no need, if it does there is a need. even my old gas grill would build up enough grease that i had a weekly fire =)

100_1113jpg

Running the egg a little longer at a lower temp like 500 will burn all that out also just have to let it run longer. 
    I had tried this...last time I bought a bag of Royal Crap. Cut the bag open, first thing I pulled out was a big hunk of fiberglass matting material. Dumped the bag in the Large. Got it up to 500* and let it burned out...result....just as grungy as before I started....so you are wrong....
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    Lit said:

Don't think I'm being a **** at all. If anything Ron is being a **** posting about high heat cleans new guys are gonna join and not know you are risking cracking your egg doing something you don't need to do. This isn't the first time he has done it just like 6 months ago he posted about high heat cleaning and the next day a guy posted he did one on his egg he had for year and it cracked and I tagged Ron so he would see it so he knows and he still posts it again. That is ****. 
    Just to extrapolate from your argument.....

I was driving yesterday and saw a car wreck on the side of the highway where someone got hurt.  Without any scientific or empirical data, I'm just gonna stop driving.  I will from now on associate cars with getting hurt.

Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Lit
    Options
    Romain said:
    Lit said:

Just to extrapolate from your argument.....

I was driving yesterday and saw a car wreck on the side of the highway where someone got hurt.  Without any scientific or empirical data, I'm just gonna stop driving.  I will from now on associate cars with getting hurt.

But you have to drive you don't have to do high heat burns. It's a unnecessary risk. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Let's all pick sides. Weeeeeee! This is fun!
  • Lit
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Lit said:
    maybe i get more grease in mine and heavy black flaky buildup doing low and slows direct all summer long that my egg does need an occasional burn out. grease from one duck low and slow, do others get this =) thats just the grease building up on the daisy which needs burning off. if your style of cooking doesnt build up that tarpaper gunk over time then no need, if it does there is a need. even my old gas grill would build up enough grease that i had a weekly fire =)

100_1113jpg

Running the egg a little longer at a lower temp like 500 will burn all that out also just have to let it run longer. 
    I had tried this...last time I bought a bag of Royal Crap. Cut the bag open, first thing I pulled out was a big hunk of fiberglass matting material. Dumped the bag in the Large. Got it up to 500* and let it burned out...result....just as grungy as before I started....so you are wrong....
    There are multiple other people in this thread that state it works great. We aren't talking about turning the insides white we are talking about your egg burning clean. I don't have a vagina so I don't really care if my smoker looks used.