Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trader Joe's baby back ribs

Options
I picked up some ribs at Trader Joe's on Saturday.  What I found interesting is these ribs were smaller than the loin back ribs I find at Kroger, Sam's, etc.  They were $4.99 a lb so a little on the pricey side for TJ's but they were really good.  I liked the fact that I could easily fit them on the large without cutting them.  These are also not too thick so you get all rib meat instead of excess loin meat.  I would definitely do these again. Cooked them about 250 for around 4.5 hours and then foiled for 45 minutes.  I added sauce to the foil packets for about 10 minutes and then back on the grid another 10-15 to set the sauce. 

After saucing:

I used this sauce and it was pretty good.  For the price ($6.50) I'm not sure I would get it again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I have a friend that swears by Trader Joe's ribs. One of these days I'm going to give them a try. Your cook looks great.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Outstanding. Wish I had a TJ that was easy to get to...as well as a Costco.lol
    I drive past at least 4 Sam's Club stores going to work.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They look delicious brother Pitt!  I'll have to give them a try.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Outstanding. Wish I had a TJ that was easy to get to...as well as a Costco.lol
    I drive past at least 4 Sam's Club stores going to work.
    Living on an outer island must be tough  :o
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Next time in TJ's will pick up. Really like that store. 50 miles from me but so is everything (to Austin). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks all.  TJ's is a little off my beaten path but it is worth a trip.  For things like spices, sauces, salsa, cheese, pickles, mustard, etc. they have some great products and the prices are good.   My kids really like the frozen mac and cheese. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    Not to hijack... but the best pizzas I've made on the Egg have comprised 100% TJ ingredients.

Mainly because all of the other times I've done pizza, I've screwed something up.  :s
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!  I have a TJs very close by but never had considered them for meat.  I'll be sure to give them a try. 
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Not to hijack... but the best pizzas I've made on the Egg have comprised 100% TJ ingredients.

Mainly because all of the other times I've done pizza, I've screwed something up.  :s
    @DeltaNu1142 - no worries on the hijack.  I have tried their dough and sauce and it was really good. 

CharleyR said:
    Thanks for the heads up!  I have a TJs very close by but never had considered them for meat.  I'll be sure to give them a try. 
    @CharleyR - sure thing.  They don't have a huge selection of meat so I was surprised to find ribs there.  They do have some good finds such as tri tip and lamb.  Also during thanksgiving season they have turkeys.  They are pre-brined, fresh never frozen, and a good price.  

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    How cool is this?  I just picked up two racks  a week ago at TJ's while coming back from vacation.  Very anxious to try them.   Thanks for the information as to how you  did em.