Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke leaking from under daisy wheel "Dual Function Metal" top

Options
Abter
Abter Posts: 125
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
When I got my egg in December, I spent a good part of the holidays (a) smoking anything I could get my hands on (no worries...my cats were spared although my wife and I did discuss the possibilities and  likely spice rubs  B) ) , and (b) discovering and reading this marvelous forum.  Now I only partly recall much of what I read then, and have discovered the weaknesses of the search function here.  I apologize for starting a new thread about a topic I  know I saw mentioned in my "big read" period, and expect has been discussed to death here already.

My daisy wheel top leaks smoke from underneath it.  Of course this is most noticable when the egg is just getting going (and the smoke is not yet thin and blue), but it happens all the time, regardless of temp, vent setting, etc. When I am shutting down and put the ceramic top on the same thing happens.

Questions
(a) is this normal for all eggs,
(b) does it matter at all, and
(c) do people do something about it, such as putting a gasket either on the lip of egg dome's chimney or inside the tops?
Stay Calm and Egg On
1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD

Comments

• HighSierraEgg
    Options
    I put some of the dome gasket around the opening where the daisy wheel sits. Nice snug fit now.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I think mine does the same thing but it means nothing to me and effects nothing as far as I can tell.  

Welcome to the forum.......nice to have you around!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You said: "My daisy wheel top leaks smoke from underneath it.".
    IMO you do not need the daisy wheel at all. Have 4 Eggs and all daisy wheels are somewhere in the garage for years. 
    All my control is done from the bottom vent for years.
    Now i am in a small camp on this, but i have no leaks from my daisy wheel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Bought my large in January this year and it came with a gasket already around the top. My Daisy wheel fits snug.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Bought my large in January this year and it came with a gasket already around the top. My Daisy wheel fits snug.
    interesting.  My family gave me a Medium, and it does not have a gasket, either in the top or on the dome.  The same daisy wheel top fits all models from Medium up through XXL.  So we have similar time frame purchases, and different size eggs which should make no difference, yet do not have the same top.  Did your local distributor set yours up for you?  Mine came still in the boxes so it could be given as a present.  Maybe that makes the difference?
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Abter said:
    NonaScott said:
    interesting.  My family gave me a Medium, and it does not have a gasket, either in the top or on the dome.  The same daisy wheel top fits all models from Medium up through XXL.  So we have similar time frame purchases, and different size eggs which should make no difference, yet do not have the same top.  Did your local distributor set yours up for you?  Mine came still in the boxes so it could be given as a present.  Maybe that makes the difference?
    I bought mine in the box also and assembled myself. All gaskets were already in place including the top at the Daisy wheel. Another piece of gasket the same length as the one on the top was also in the parts box.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Mine did it a lot when it was new.  Once it seasons a bit it both of mine stopped.  It leaked under the moveable part of the daisy wheel.  Not actually down by the gasket though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Old style no gasket. It leaks until becoming sufficiently crudded up. After which, it may eventually need to be heated hot to remove it. The gunk makes a great seal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use my dfmt only for the occasional low and slo pork butt. No idea if it leaks or not, and don't care. No gasket on it, btw. For all other cooks, I go with the top wide open. 

As long as the fire goes out when you close the bottom vent and add the ceramic cap, you're good. Mine always has.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I don't use the daisy wheel to much either, you will find a method that works for you. Good Luck
    Large, small, and a mini