Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you guys cook your rib tips

Options
I typically throw mine away after I do my st. louis cut, but wanted to try it this time.  Is there a general rule of thumb when looking at these to know when their ready to eat?  

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    I toss them on with the St Louis ribs.  Use the toothpick test for doneness-probes easy and you are there.  At least it works for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    they felt good in my hands so I just pulled them... Spot on great. Don't know why I haven't cooked them more. I always felt because of the breast bone I wasn't able to get much meat and didn't know how to cut them

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    I generally munch on some during the cook.  Also great additions to any pot of beans recipe.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I typically throw mine away after I do my st. louis cut, but wanted to try it this time.  Is there a general rule of thumb when looking at these to know when their ready to eat?  
    Throw away!? Where I live, the commercial pits sell more tips than ribs, as far as I can tell.

Yes, the boney section has little meat on it. Not bad to gnaw on once cooked, but maybe better for stews and soups.

The rest of the tip section is really good. The meat is the same as the ribs. Being thinner, it cooks faster. Depending how they get sliced into parts, tips can be tender at 4 hrs, certainly 5 hours, as 6 hours for spares.

Typically, I separate the the chine bone portion and the soft rib bits. Save them till I have enough for a full meal of either. 4 pieces w. the big bone in, but just 2 of the soft ribs and flap meat.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I generally munch on some during the cook.  Also great additions to any pot of beans recipe.  
    +1 chef's nosh!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    There is a braise recipe that is amazing here on the board. Search for it. 
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I either just smoke them with the ribs or I add them to my bakedbeans/red beans and rice.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum