Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket temperature issues

Options
As I keep adding more charcoal to the what remained from previous cooks it would eventually get to the point where the pile ends up being a bunch of small chibbles that would prevent good air flow.  When it got to point where the small pieces are the vast majority I let it burn off and clean everything out and start with an empty firebox.

I started using the Kick Ash Basket because I had heard so many good things about it and I thought it would prevent the small chunk accumulation.

I've been using it for a week and I am having no luck in getting the dome temperature above 400 degrees.

I'm using a Smokeware SS chimney cap, so adequate air flow is not an issue.  I've tried all kinds of combinations on the top and bottom vents between wide open and very small openings and the results are the same.  All i get is a small amount of coals in the very center that are burning, but not producing any flame and just seem to be barely going.

I am not using the original grate underneath the basket.  It's wide open underneath.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Is your fire box aligned to the opening vent on the front? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    1) Make sure your egg is cleaned out completely ... pull the fire-ring and fire-bowl to clean behind them.  Make sure the opening in the fire-bowl and the door are aligned.

2) Fill to the top of the fire-bowl ... or slightly above.  If you are only filling to the top of the KAB, that's not always enough.

3) Light the lump however you want. For 400+ degrees it really doesn't matter, 'cuz all of the lump will be on fire.  It might affect the length of time to temp, but that's it.

4) Take the top of the Smokeware Cap off.  A fully opened SW cap has the same draft area as a fully opened daisy wheel ... well, the original SW cap did, the new one has a little less.  Once your fire is up to temp, then you can put the cap back on, and it will restrict the temp to around 600 degrees.  If you leave the cap on, it will come up to the 600 degree mark, but will take longer to get there.

5) Open the bottom vent completely.  Open the screen complete, if it's not dangerous ... the screen restricts airflow quite a bit, especially if it's gunked up a little.

Now sit down and have a beer. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
     I pulled the fire bowl and ring and cleaned everything out before using the Kick Ash basket.   The firebox and vent opening are lined up.   I am starting the charcoal like I always have; with an electronic starter with the bottom vent wide open and no cap on the chimney.   I put the cap on when I pull the lighter and it is about 275 degrees.  What I had to watch for before was getting too much air flow and hitting 600 degrees when I didn't want to.  Now the issue is not being able to get it over 400.   I have the sit down and have a beer part covered. :-)

Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LesMo said:
    ...so adequate air flow is not an issue.  
    It is THE issue. Figure out why you're not getting it and you'll be set.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hello from nearby Dunlap. Are you shaking your KAB before adding new lump? Doing so then the ash and fines will slip through the wire basket. Also have you calibrated your thermometer lately?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you keep adding new lump on top of the shaken lump in your kick ash you will block the air needed for high temp cooks.
    I normally shake the kick ash, then dump into a container.
    I add new lump then add the old lump to the top. The used lump starts easy and does not spark as much lighting with mapp torch.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    This sentence is confusing: I put the cap on when I pull the lighter and it is about 275 degrees.  Pulling the lighter when it's at 275 degrees is the confusing part.  You call it an electronic starter ... it's just a electrical resistant starter ... yes?  Don't roll your eyes now, but you're sticking it down into the lump, not in through the bottom vent ... yes?

If going to 400+ degrees, I pull the cap and open the bottom vent fully.  Then insert the lighter ... pull it as soon as there are small flames coming up from the lit lump.  Leave the lid open a few more minutes for the fire to grow - that is if going above low-n-slow temps - then close the lid.  Once close to the target temp, then the cap is reinstalled - fully open - and the bottom vent is used to bring the egg smoothly up to target temp.

You might try experimenting by leaving the SW cap off and only using the bottom vent to control the temp.  Several forum members don't do low-n-slows, so they never use their daisy wheel to control temps.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    I have either done or have been doing everything suggested here except allowing the egg to get up to the desired temperature before placing the Smokeware cap.  I'm pretty sure that will solve the problem.  In fact, it is the method I always used before but forgot that is how I did it after not grilling for several months and having the memory of a legitimate senior citizen.   Many thanks for all who are willing to try and help.  Special  Kudos to Jeepster for nailing it.  By, the way it is so windy here today I will not be grilling tonight.  Steady winds at about 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.  Now, time for some whiskey and Final Four basketball. 
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    Yes. I keep the cap off until it's 50 degrees from my goal temp!!!!! Otherwise, it takes forever to get there. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg