Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish help

Wife is going to the Publix while I am at work to pick up some fish to be egged tonight. She knows very little about fish and I have just recently began branching out into trying different varieties.

So I called Publix to ask the fish monger what they had today that was good; the girl rattled off they had Pollack, cobia, tuna, salmon, and trout. I asked her what Pollack was like, and she replied, "I'll have to look it up in the book", which immediately disappointed me. So I politely hung up and am hoping to lean on you guys.

Thoughts from the group

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    I cook salmon and trout on a regular basis......and the Egg does great work on them. I'm cooking trout tonight.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Salmon and trout is probably your best bet for the egg especially if it is your first cook for fish. Tuna is also good but easy to overcook so I would be careful.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • I've done salmon a handful of different ways. Any trout recommendations?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • SmokingPiney
    edited March 2016

Easy and quick whole trout: coat the cavity and outside lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle your rub of choice in the cavity.

I grill mine 400 raised direct for about 6 minutes a side.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    I usually just do simple seasoning or a mayo rub if it's being cooked on a cast iron griddle or pan.

Combine mayo, garlic, lemon juice, herbs and pepper in bowl, mix well. Cover the trout with the mayo mixture and cook it on a high temperature (450°-500°)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SmokingPiney
    That sounds delicious, @1move.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Pollock is a light white fish and is kinda considered a "trash fish".  It's what is used to make surimi, or imitation crab.  I'm sure it can be cooked well, despite it's old label, but I'd go with salmon over anything.  Trout would be my #2. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Cobia, also called Ling, is a firmer white fish, with mild taste. It can be grilled w/o fear of it falling apart.
    Fun fish to catch in the Gulf.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when just off the boat pollack is very similar to fresh cod or haddock. the next day its quality goes down hill compared to cod and haddock,, 2 days later and its not good for anything except chowder. go with the tuna, its a hard sear, pink to red middle when cooked(dont cook til it flakes) very non fishy tasting. trout from tanks are no good ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

agree with @photo_egg

if you're tired of salmon the cobia would be a good next choice.  it's firm, and easy to take a filet, brush with a little olive oil and throw it right on the grill direct with the dome around 300-350.  lemon/salt/pepper to finish.  or throw it in a CI pan with butter or ghee to give it a bit of a crust.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Fresh? ....Cobia or Tuna all day!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited March 2016
    Cobia is the way to go. Squeeze a fresh lime over it, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with old bay or zatarains and grill over high heat until il flakes. About 5 minutes a side for 1 inch thick fillets.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Plus whatever on the cobia.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I've only done salmon on the egg. It was great. I've had red snapper from hook to egg in 5 minutes or less and it was great too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Pollock is fine for frying and as an ingredient in fish pies and the like. On it's own it doesn't have a strong flavour but on the egg you could put it in foil with some herbs and butter to infuse more flavour. It's a cheap fish so no harm in experimenting.  Or like everyone else has said, go for tuna or salmon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Tuna steaks. Just scare them with fire, cool center. Yum
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    my favorite fish to egg is redfish.  i cook it on the "half shell".  don't scale the fish.  just cut the fillets.  put what ever seasoning you want on it & cook it at 350 for about 12 minutes, scale side down.  DO NOT FLIP IT!  the fish scoops out of the scales/skin easy as pie.  it's the best fish i've ever had.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    All of those fish will serve you well when treated properly.  All work well on the egg.  Research their recipes and it's one of the easiest egg cooks.  @DMW speaks truth if you get good quality tuna.  Tell the tuna you'll show it the egg immediately before eating.  No need to light the egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited April 2016
    As info, went with the trout. Chopped up some garlic in melted butter to coat inside and out, S&P, and lemon/rosemary inside the cavity. I thought it turned out great, but Mrs. BGBG likes her fish like her eggs and steak; dry and tough
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)