Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you do indirect low and slow in a gasser?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brother wants me to do pulled pork for 100 ppl this weekend. I have a xl and figure I can do aprox25 pounds at one time. He wants to know if he can do any in his gas grill? Im thinking turning off burner at one side and cooking on the other. Will a 20lb propane tank last the required time say 10-12 hours at 250? And can you even do this on a gasser?

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    Well, you can do a lot more than 25 pounds on an XL. See WessBs site for a 30 pound cook he did on his new XL. There was room enough for way more than that.[p]It would be tricky on a gasser. You'd want to have liquid in the drip pan, and perhaps inject the meat and baste every so often to keep it from drying out. Also, if it's real windy the gasser temp may be hard to keep stable.
    Not impossible though! You should be able to get 10 hours from a new tank.
    The meat from the egg will be so much better it might convince him to get an egg...

[ul][li]WessBs Pork on an XL[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    My 2 cents... I have a 2 burner gasser (which I haven't
    used in a while) and have never able to get the temp down
    to the 250 range even with 1 burner off and the other as
    low as it would go. If you have an XL, you should look at
    setting up multiple cooking levels - stacking grids - in
    order to increase your capacity. I have no experience with
    the XL, but with the acerage on the thing, you should be
    able to get lots more than 25 lbs. in it at one time.[p]You could also smoke some of the butts for a few hours, then
    transfer them to an oven to finish cooking. While they're
    in the oven, start your next batch in the Egg.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hayhonker,
    i used to try to do ribs on a gasser.
    not worth it.[p]the bottle will last because you aren't using a lot to hold the temp.[p]you have to baste/mop like crazy, because it will dry out (the hot metal radiates heat, and needs to replenish it from somewhere, and that somewhere's the meat...).[p]they want you to do them because they love how yours turn out. yours turn out the way they do because you do them in the egg.[p]his request is a bit like someone admiring your mercedes because it rides so nice, then asking you to take them for a ride in their car, hoping you can do just a good a job.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    you can do nearly 50# in a large, i hope you can do more than 25 in the XL!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    i would do some to take off the egg during the festivities and cook some tonight or tomorrow night to reheat

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BGEJeff
    BGEJeff Posts: 54
    Options
    stike,
    OK Stike how many have you had, He's asking about pulled pork and you're talking about ribs and cars. LOL
    1hr and 22 mins to beer thirty for me.[p]Jeff

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    As "Hayhonker" said..and you can see in my pics...I could have easily gotten 4 more butts on the xl without adding a second grid. You should be able to get a good 60# on there with no problems, and I would say 80# + with a second raised grid....I would certainly give it a try before I would resolve to using a gasser for pulled pork....[p]Wess

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    I did 36 lbs on my large last week. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger, I read a post one time by someone who cooks briskets and butts on a 2-burner gas grill, cooking indirect of course. To get his temp down to 225* at the grid level, he said he uses a small chunk of wood to prop the lid up a bit.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    My wife owns a catering company....and we do get calls for pulled pork sammiches....2 - 3 times per month...Obviously we would like to do all we can in our 2 LB BGEs....But sometimes....we get orders on very SHORT notice....and have don't have 16 hours lead time to low-n-slow.....So what we do....we've found...is a workable plan.....[p]In a pinch....We use an old-fashioned electric counter top oven roaster.....And we get very good results....At 300 degrees it takes 7 - 8 hours....The butts essentially steam in that kind of cooker....We put a a cup of water in the bottom and a few dashes of liquid smoke and away we go......And then we pull the pork....sauce....and serve....[p]Again...We regularly low-n-slow Butts for the catering company on the BGE...But we do get orders for BBQ samiches on VERY short notice....And we get good results from this method....OBVIOUSLY this wouldn't work at a BBQ Competition...Nor would we do this recreationally.....But it works in a pinch....[p]Ed McLean.....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    Funny you should ask... Michael Chiarello just oven-roasted a shoulder. At the lowest setting on your gasser, lid propped as needed, you should be able to hold the 275 degrees he calls for.[p]Here's a link.[p]By the way, I'm of the opinion that you can get plenty of pork on your XL - I once got 40 pounds on one level in my large.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Chiarello's "Forever Roasted" Pork[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    eddiemac,
    Does that 300 temp get the colegen broken down like the low and slow does? I went to a party that was catered with pulled pork and it had chunks of fat and gristle in it. -RP

• stike
    Options
    BGEJeff,
    goof[p]ribs are the same dang cook as PP, just takes less time cuz they weigh less.[p]Q is Q.
    smoker don't know what's in it, nor how long it's been there.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    as i rwcall the law specifically requires the use of solid wood derived fuel or a crock pot.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    The instruction/cook book that came with our SS gasser says it can cook food at low temperature for long periods, but what I noticed is that their definition of low and slow is considerably different than cooking on the Egg. Where we Eggheads may consider a 20-hour cook at 225° pretty normal they say cook on "Low" for 4-hours. They do mention putting some soaked wood chips in their optional smoker accessory. I suppose that makes theirs a "smoker."[p]I think Egg'n is the way to go and "Gas'n" is the way to keep it warm (but only for a few minutes).[p]Spring "Got Gas" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA