Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do you prepare your lobster

Trying to find out an easier way to prepare lobster. Right now I'm cutting into the underbelly where are the little feet are, I use scissors and cut through the underbelly and then try to break the little feet off as much as possible and then grill it. Trouble is once it is plated it is difficult to pull the meat out of the shell this way. Seen a few videos where the top of the shell is broken with a meat cleaver and cut through the meat till the knife meets the inside of the underbelly. What do you do. Can you enlighten me please. TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Split the top of the shell with a strong pair of scissors or a sharp knife. pull the meat out onto the top of the shell but still leave it attached to the base of the end of tail. Baste with some lemon butter and cook direct/indirect until it is white, just after it stops the opaque stage, basting along the way. remove to plate and eggjoy!!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    First, i tell it what question opposing counsel id gonna ask, then i advise it to stay calm, keep its answers as brief as possible and to not volunteer any extra information.   Then i tell it to take a drink amd relax.....
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @Richard Fl  thanks for the info
    @westernbbq what ya drinking there ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Been hanging around too many attorneys this week....
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I use a butcher knife down the under side not quite all the way through..you want the top shell to act as a hinge so to speak. I then clean them out, add a little S&P and throw them on the Egg for about 7-8min @ 450.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    I steam them. With buttah

I think that was three pounds. Christmas eve with the kids
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I too am a fan of steaming them.  It's quick & easy, the meat is moist & succulent, and the savory flavor doesn't get boiled away~~
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if its a maine lobster steam it, they are lousy off the grill. then get a splitting mall to break the shell. you want hard shell lobsters and big is better

looks like i use tiny plates =) oh, and theres meat in those tiny legs

974e229djpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokesniffer
    @TFols looking good.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @Darby_Crenshaw can I invite myself over,,,looks like a filet in the background too.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @fishlessman whoa those are monsters. what did they weigh?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Another nicety of steaming is that it gradually puts the lobster to sleep, vs. the shocking death of being immersed head first into boiling water~~
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Take the elastics off fish!

Sure, if you steam them it's ok to leave them on, but boiling will make the water bitter

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I've only cooked tails on the egg.  I used good shears to cut out the bottom of the tail (cut along hard shell, both sides and remove). Added a little butter and seasoning and they cook in the shell.  Flipped for a quick char, they pull out easily.
  • fishlessman
    Take the elastics off fish!

Sure, if you steam them it's ok to leave them on, but boiling will make the water bitter

my godson spent hours finding small river stones for the bottom of the steamer pot, it was his cook. i thought it better he didnt play with an active lobster that size =) but then again he was walking around last summer with a small watersnake hanging off his thumb and ive watched him catch bees by hand and put them in a cage
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    @fishlessman whoa those are monsters. what did they weigh?
    i think those were 5 poundahs
    fukahwee maine

• ffdoug
    ffdoug Posts: 3
    Best resource would be the University of Maine - Lobster Institute! http://umaine.edu/lobsterinstitute/education/cooking-eating-a-lobster/
  • Cremaster
    Cremaster Posts: 34
    Break it to him gently.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited March 2016
    If possible, boil them in ocean water (just be sure that if you're pulling the water on a beach to let the sand settle in the bucket for a few minutes before you transfer the sea water to your cooking pot. You're looking for as little sand in the actual cooking pot as possible). If you're not close enough to the shore to get clean ocean water for cooking, then steam them.

I'm not a huge fan of grilled lobster. That's not to say that I'd turn down a grilled tail if I was offered one; but I do think that there are other methods of cooking that compliment the flavor of lobster much better than grilling. 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Split the top of the shell with a strong pair of scissors or a sharp knife. pull the meat out onto the top of the shell but still leave it attached to the base of the end of tail. Baste with some lemon butter and cook direct/indirect until it is white, just after it stops the opaque stage, basting along the way. remove to plate and eggjoy!!

I've done it this way and thought they came out well. Cooked a couple of thin ribeyes at the same time for a surf and turf.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.