Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preliminary plan for my dream kitchen

Options
Been playing with Google Sketchup today. The wife and I are planning an outdoor kitchen and living space - I've cooked in the driveway long enough. It will take us a while to build because we'll do most of the work ourselves and in stages. I just wanted to share an image of what we're planning. 
The slab will be 16 feet by 24 feet. The vertical smoker will be a Lone Star Grillz 24"X24" vertical offset; this pic was the best I could find. Eggs are my large and my mini max. The other space is for using my Dutch ovens or a cast iron Tuscan grill.
I'm reaching an age where I hope my children will get married and give me grandchildren. I also have friends I'd like to entertain more. I think this would be a nice space. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    I could absolutely appreciate a space like this. I'd add a large masonry oven for my breads. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very close to my dream design too but I'd sub in a pizza oven. Looks awesome 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Blackstone griddle? But the space is awesome- you will get years of enjoyment
    Greensboro, NC
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Pizza Oven, Blackstone, TV, Electric for mini fridge, sink you can hook hose up to for fresh cold water...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks WONDERFUL!

The chimney from the stick burner, especially, seems pretty close to the ceiling/roof, though.  Is there a way to have someone who really knows this stuff check the design and tell you whether there is a fire hazard or not?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It's funny how many of you have mentioned a brick oven - I have had to work hard to talk myself out of one. This earlier sketch has one in the corner:

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Looks WONDERFUL!

The chimney from the stick burner, especially, seems pretty close to the ceiling/roof, though.  Is there a way to have someone who really knows this stuff check the design and tell you whether there is a fire hazard or not?
    Great point. We have someone who specializes in outdoor kitchens who is making an actual plan and drawing. This sketch of mine is how I am giving him my vision of the space. As far as the stick burner, I need to contact Lone Star Grillz for the dimensions. What is pictured here is the closest thing I could find that's about the right size.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That looks awesome. Good luck with the project.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks great. Only advice, go as big as you can afford and doesn't look too gaudy. Prolly get one swing at it. Good luck. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @pgprescott I may end up leaving room for a small bread oven to be added at some point down the road.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice plan man. Brick pizza oven for sure.  Flat top whether Blackstone or stainless steel should be there!  Please invite me to the christening!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That really looks great @SciAggie. I have a dream of having something like that one day too. Mine will require some heavy equipment to make it happen though. We have a 3-level retaining wall that will have to be replaced in order to incorporate my design. I will likely be "in the ground" before my OD kitchen becomes a reality. I eagerly await pictures of the finished project. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very nice.  Dreams give our lives direction!  Good luck achieving yours!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just a couple things I would think about: if you are going all out why not have a small sink? I know I always need to run in wash my hands or rinse something really quick. Just a suggestion and also have you thought about lighting at all or some outdoor speakers? Any electrical plugins? 

Looks awesome!!
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Rorschach123
    Options
    Prevailing wind flow, sun path, if you have options to change the arrangement. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Good call on the sun'd path.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Prevailing wind flow, sun path, if you have options to change the arrangement. 
    Nice point - we have that figured out. I had to argue with the wife a bit though :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Go on with your bad self / design. Looking forward to following your build. Is it ok if I ride with @bgebrent  for the christening? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @SciAggieI'd add more horizontal space to the left of the large since you have it.  

Whenever I cook, outside or in,  the first thing I run out of is horizontal space. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Really like that island design. My wife and I are in the preliminary design stages and that looks great. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @SciAggieI'd add more horizontal space to the left of the large since you have it.  

Whenever I cook, outside or in,  the first thing I run out of is horizontal space. 
    The wife and I are talking about that. There is always that budget/wish list/compromise thing that one has to wrestle with, huh? The space that's left is for traffic flow into the space. The cook area is closest to the house so entry will be from that spot most of the time.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looks good.  Have you taken inventory of all the extras that go with your eggs and decided where to keep them?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    If you could add plumbing, a sink would be great  with plenty counterspace. I am a dedicated egger but I use a natural gas grill often for quickies and a dedicated side burner even more.  Just some things to consider. there is no wrong only right and righter.
  • Rorschach123
    Options
    It is a home life changing event, best money spent on the house. We are into the finishing stage of this. The full sink/hot water/disposal to the sewer line was worth it. We CL all the stainless except for the cooker carts. Hindsight I would have done those cheaper as I've seen on this site. We lift out the MM and it goes with us camping. I didn't start BBQ'ing until I discovered these eggs. They are amazing. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Rorschach123 Man, that's a nice butcher block!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    These are great setups I would love to have a setup like this some day!
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @SciAggie
    The space that's left is for traffic flow into the space.
    The cook area is closest to the house so entry will be from that spot most of the time.
    Good point.

If that's the case, NKBA guidelines = that walkway should be at least 36".
    42"  would probably be safer given that walkway will have a lot of hot foods transported,  and at some point someone will be trying to go the other way the exact same time.

simulate width trade-offs by walking through an entryway carrying two plates of food.

If that is the main walkway from the house, that also means that that counterspace could be the most used horizontal space in your entire L shape. Hence,  it needs to be as  wide as possible. 

Too bad you can't bring that counter all the way across and rotate all the appliances clockwise. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Making slow progress on my kitchen. I'll get the slab poured on Tuesday. I also made a change - wood fired oven instead of smoker. I hope to get it installed before the end of summer. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JMJ
    JMJ Posts: 52
    Options
    This makes me both ridiculously jealous and happy for you. Truly a dream!

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    JMJ said:
    This makes me both ridiculously jealous and happy for you. Truly a dream!

+1.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------