Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asparagus on the egg.... Wasn't good...

Options
2»

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Uggh, can't get the taste out of muh mouth...
    I say it was VOC at an Eggfest one time I ate something that was very acrid tasting and I could not get rid of the taste for hours. I spray veggies with Olive oil and never had a problem. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited March 2016
    Options
     Rockwood's VOCs burned off in about 30 seconds. Or that is magically had none at all.
    The best charcoal is always the flavor-of-the-month. You are an old timer here, and have seen the drill: 

everyone starts hating lump-X. Someone stumbles on lump-Y. Much cheer and joy and praise in eggville. Mentions of former favorite, lump-X, receive much jeering and derision, usually loudest from those who "tried it once" and found a rock or something. 

Eventually, though, someone has a bad bag of Lump-Y. Hmmm. "Can't be so!" And replies of  "call them and they will make it right". Another report of "bad smoke" [subjective, unquantified] comes along and the tide begins to turn. Ominously

"maybe they are sourcing it from somewhere new?!?!?" Or "must be a bad batch". Fans are frantic. Will the crisis pass?

soon, sadly, and with no fanfare, brand of lump-Y is kicked to the curb. "Not as good as it used to be". "Too bad"

then. A guy knows a guy whose buddy found some lump (Lump-Z) that the "first premier grand best of show people's choice first in pork, second in chicken" used at a competition and swears by. 

Guy finds a bag, uses it and proclaims (with pics) "awesome". And we are off. Repeating the cycle

this has happened to damn near every brand, saear to god, over the life of these forums. Every. Frigging. Brand. 

Meanwhile, a few old men, instead of chasing the next charcoal/cooler/grill-size/chiminea/pizza-oven/knife-brand craze just buy a bag of whatever is local and cheap, and cook just fine with that

eventually you realize the beefs are two sides of the same coin

it takes to long to start=burns a long time

takes too long to start=burns a long time

burns too quick=fast start, less VOC burn-off

i found a rock in the bag=they all have a rock in the bag at some point

etc

it's carbon, made from a natural and varying source, by humans, as cheaply as possible. Deal with it. Learn to use it's supposed weaknesses as strengths. 

I have had one truly bad cook affected by a horrendous bag of royal oak. But knowing what i know now, i should have yanked the rip cord and bailed in the cook and Cooked inside. And that doesn't mean all royal oak is bad. Just the suspiciously cheap crap i bought last-minute at a convenience store which was labeled 'south american'. Live and learn (and shuck and jive when needed)

[soap box dismounted]

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I cook asparagus on the grill probably once a week. I coat it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I only made the mistake of trying it once at a temperature around 250 after smoking something. The meat I smoked was delicious but the asparagus was terrible. Asparagus doesn't like low heat and smoke. I always cook asparagus at higher temps now and usually direct. Everyone loves it!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Olive oil, S&P over high heat in a vegetable basket. The asparagus comes out great every time.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Bet that was an interesting pee smell..... 

I use canola oil, salt, pepper, garlic.  I normally keep the asparagus off to the side while cooking the protein.  Helps cook the veggies, but in a somewhat indirect manner, then move them to the middle after the meat is off.  

EVOO can burn too also, if it was dripping in EVOO or any oil, can get a bad smell.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    I say it was VOC at an Eggfest one time I ate something that was very acrid tasting and I could not get rid of the taste for hours. I spray veggies with Olive oil and never had a problem. 
    I also think it had nothing to do with the lump, I think the fire did not have enough time to burn off all the VOC.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have not had any problems cooking asparagus or any vegetables on the egg, but I am always doing it after I have finished the proteins.  I don't add any other wood to it just the flavor that comes from the lump.

Did this a few weeks ago at 400 direct and it was great as always.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    There's an old joke, goes something like:

A guy walks into a bar, asks the bartender for 12 shots of peppermint schnapps, proceeds to drink them quickly....still has a frown on his face.

I'll stop there, it's not Friday night. Yet.

And I was going to link off to another site for tips on "health". But I won't, it's not Friday night. Yet.

I can recommend this though, off the Weber recipe site. Always goes over big with guests.

http://www.weber.com/recipes/veggies/asparagus-and-tomato-salad-with-feta

Real easy to prepare too. Comes together quickly. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I LOVE grilled asparagus on the egg.  I throw it on right when my steaks ect. are pulled off.  I'll cook them anywhere from 400-600 degrees.  Coat in oil, top with some type of rub.  Close lid for about 30 seconds, roll asparagus, close lid for another 30 sec - 1 min.  Comes out good every time.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have not had any problems cooking asparagus or any vegetables on the egg, but I am always doing it after I have finished the proteins.  I don't add any other wood to it just the flavor that comes from the lump.

Did this a few weeks ago at 400 direct and it was great as always.

This is exactly how I cook asparagus - right down to the basket.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If you've ever had some wood in the egg when cooking a burger, you know that some foods soak up smoke like a sponge soaks up water.

I imagine asparagus is like that.

I always steam them to bright green first, then onto a very hot egg after the protein comes off. Leave it open, roll the asparagus around like hot dogs to get some cast iron char on them, couple of minutes max.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    A little OO and some seasoning, and wouldn't worry bout "smoking" it w/ wood....the lump coal is enough.  My ole lady wraps it in bacon and brown sugar its!!!  Turns out great!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!