Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is you favorite rub?

Options
I'm keenly interested in broadening my flavors and horizons. .what is your favorite rub for pork and then for beef?  Looking forward to reading the responses! 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    For me it is Meat Church Honey Hog for pork and Meat Church Holy Cow for beef.. But in saying that I go through phases, but I am loving these two..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    I'm keenly interested in broadening my flavors and horizons. .what is your favorite rub for pork and then for beef?  Looking forward to reading the responses! 
    Meat church is great,but I wonder sometimes why I use rub at all considering the fact that I drench everything in bbq sauce 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm anxoius to try Meat Church rubs, but my favorite right now are from Central BBQ in Memphis. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Depends on the beef application. Overall, I'd have to say my favorite beef rub is simple salt and pepper. 

I don't really have a favorite on pork, but my go to is Dizzy Dust by Dizzy Pig.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Commercial side, I like oakridge bbq rubs- secret weapon and habenaro death dust are great.   
    Brisket - I use a home-made concoction of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, some bourbon smoked paprika and garlic.  Ratios vary every time I mix it up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Commercial side, I like oakridge bbq rubs- secret weapon and habenaro death dust are great.   
    Brisket - I use a home-made concoction of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, some bourbon smoked paprika and garlic.  Ratios vary every time I mix it up.  
    Where do you get bourbon smoked paprika?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I get bourbon smoked regularly!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Here's a link to a local source,  http://bourbonbarrelfoods.com I have also seen woodford reserve branded seasonings.  Hope this helps-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I really like John Henry Mojave Garlic on beef, bust mostly I use some blend of s&p, garlic, onion and smoked paprika on beef.

I'm all over the place with pork, really don't have a favorite that stands out to me.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    This is almost like asking what's your favorite lump. Everybody is different. Personally, I don't see the fascination with Meat Church rubs. I used Holy Cow once and tossed the rest in the trash. Same with Honey Hog. More times than not, the rubs recommended are collecting dust in the cabinet. You just have to make the rounds enough to find the ones strike your fancy. Of the 40+ rubs I have now, I use maybe five regularly and none are nationally recognized brands. It's a painful and expensive process, but it's worthwhile when you find those killer rubs that not everyone is using. Just my .02
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Too many solid choices to say. And quite frankly if I broaden my in-house rub choices much more I'll have to add-on to our house. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 45Fan
    45Fan Posts: 24
    Options
    I really like Plowboys Yardbird, I am not sure how regional it is but it is awesome on pork and chicken!  Not too shabby on brisket either...
    The two loudest sounds in the world is a click that should have went bang and a bang that should have went click.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Albukirky Casa Seasoning is wonderful! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's my list:
    Brisket - Sam's BBQ1 Brisket Rub
    Butt&Ribs- Sam's BBQ1 Butt Rub
    Pork Chops- Cookies Flavor Enhancer
    Pork Tenderloin&Fish- St John Spice Co. Cruz Bay Grill Rub
    Burgers- Chaisson's Rub It
    Yardbird - (tie) Mickeys Rub, IPA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DoubleEgger No Lie! The Sam's BBQ -1 Brisket Rub is legit!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Wow...what a loaded question.  I am a whore when it comes to rubs.  I have so many that I like and rotate them frequently.  Im a fan of the Dizzy Pig line up, but just too many to list.  Hope that helps....lol =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Back
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishindoc
    Options
    Thanks everyone...looks like I'll be broadening my credit card and doing some sampling! I'm good with that!
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I do like to make my own but the dizzy pig pineapple head is a good for fruit
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    There are a lot of good commercial rubs out there.  Dizzy Pig is my favorite brand, but Lanes is growing on me a lot.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    One my favorites for pork is Texas BBQ rub grand champion. Beef I like meat church holy cow or Montreal type seasoning. 
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, nothing else touches my meat!
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Where do you get the sams 1bbq?
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I've tried a gazillion rubs and none of them are as good as Aunt Cora's Soulful Seasoning.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Where do you get the sams 1bbq?
    PM me your address and I'll stop by and pick you up some. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Going back more and more to Salt & Pepper. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Right now I'm liking John Henry Carolina Butt Rub. Also use Dizzy Dust a lot. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub is awesome, if you haven't tried that yet go find some. This weekend I cooked a brisket with Smokin' Guns Hot rub and REALLY enjoyed it. This was the first time I'd used that one but it will NOT be the last. I like some of the John Henry rubs quite a bit, especially the Mojave Garlic. For sweeter/dessert applications I really like Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. I can also strongly recommend Head Country rub; it's good stuff.

There are a LOT of good rubs out there. Have fun checking them out.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love rubs and definitely go through phases. I've used Lane's BBQ Q-Nami on Mahi, Vermillion Snapper and asparagus in the last couple of days and it was phenomenal on all three. Highly recommended it! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    brisket - SPG w. some montreal steak mixed in
    butts - my own concoction
    wings - yardbird or swamp venhem or dizzy dust
    spatch - yardbird or montreal chicken or dizzy dust
    pork ribs - oakridge dominator
    veggies - shakin' the tree
    Phoenix