Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg owners living in apartments

Options
2»

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    But the taste of food on an egg...i cant let it go, i just cant

I get it, & there’s also a enjoyment factor cooking on the egg, but cooking food on a metal cooker using the same fuel & smoking woods you use on the egg will yield the same tasting food so really you’re not giving anything up; ceramics certainly have their advantages over metal & most involve stability, efficiency/longevity of cook & so forth, but flavor, uh uh, that’s a myth.  If, and I realize this is a big if, you know how to operate a metal cooker it will perform flawlessly in the flavor department.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • VANcouverEGG
    VANcouverEGG Posts: 173
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I live on the top floor of an apartment with room for exhaust. I try to get egg going as quickly as i can. Once it gets to 350, no problems. 

Had some people say "it smells like a campfire", but i thought that was a good thing. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think our local fire department has us penciled in as the "house that cried wolf", insofar as the smoke we generate.  Not an apartment, but close quarter hood. 

Feed your neighbors and they won't (less likely) rat you out.  If you let stuff get into the passive-agressive stage, nothing good will come out of it.
    Options
    1move said:
    I lived in a condo and got onto the regulating condo board. They were against all charcoal grills at one meeting and I was for it. I held the next meeting at my place and cooked for all of them, and educated them a bit more about the egg and Kamados in general. Needless to say the board now approves Kamado grills, and it was written into the Condo bylaws.

Fight the 'system' from the inside, that's the way to do it!!
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Uh oh...
    But look at the neighboring complex haha

Austin, Tx