Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer - Harrisburg, PA

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
Hi all,

I have a co-worker who is interested in getting an egg.  I could give him a couple of dealer recommendations around the Baltimore area, but he lives just outside of Harrisburg, PA and would probably prefer a dealer closer to home.  Do any PA Eggheads have a dealer in that general area that they like or recommend?

Thanks!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Sending a PM now.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I purchased a couple of eggs from AES Hearth & Patio only because I had gift certificates. Basically a full MSRP dealer with very little accessories. The bright side is they were very easy to work with when getting a firebox replaced under warranty. They do include assembly and delivery (within a certain distance); which is nice for the larger/heavier eggs.

• StoneSmoker
    Options
    May not be as close as he's hoping but Stone BBQ supply, off route 30 in Lancaster, is a nice place with great owners. Also it's connected to Lancaster Homebrew if he's into that. 
  • stompbox
    Options
    Mikee said:

I purchased a couple of eggs from AES Hearth & Patio only because I had gift certificates. Basically a full MSRP dealer with very little accessories. The bright side is they were very easy to work with when getting a firebox replaced under warranty. They do include assembly and delivery (within a certain distance); which is nice for the larger/heavier eggs.

That is where I wanted to go originally.  But, the people (when I went in there) didn't know anything about the egg.  Couldn't answer questions and only had a few eggs out for display.

I have nothing against them, maybe it was a bad day to go in and look at eggs, but they did not impress me. 

I also looked them up later and saw they are like a bronze star egg-dealer? 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fred's BBQ and Music (now called Tasty Licks BBQ after his line of rubs and sauces) in Shillington. Fantastic service. They have just about anything you would want. Extremely knowledgeable. I make the trip from Center City Philadelphia twice a year for charcoal. Can't say enough good things about these folks. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mikee
    Options

As far as recommending AES, I would be neutral about it. For someone who has their mind already made up about buying an egg, I don't think the salesperson's knowledge about the egg is important. Three things that would persuade me to buy from one dealer vs another are: price, warranty service, and location.

Accessories, lump, rubs, etc... can be purchased anywhere. There are many more dealers in the area, Harrisburg/York/Lancaster, over the past 10 years since I bought my first egg and my guess is most of them are MSRP and will throw in some items like a platesetter, ash tool, grill gripper, and a bag of lump.

I stopped a Stauffers Of Kissel Hill in Mechanicsburg a couple of times. They have all the eggs on display along with some of the carts.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    While AES Hearthplace in Mechanicsburg may not be expert on BGE, their service is fantastic.  I bought my LBGE there, 3 years later had a major crack.  A few pictures and 10 minutes in the store and I had a replacement within 72 hours.  "Sweet Deals" Harrisburg (Similar to Groupon) recently had a coupon worth $500 for $250, good towards anything.  Nice savings.  Last I checked there were 3 coupons left.
    Stauffers of Kissel Hill has an expert on staff.  They have a big selection, and a couple times a year run a small Eggfest, with discounted Demo Eggs.  Should be a spring one coming up.
    Good luck and happy egging.
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's another vote for Tasty Licks in Shillington, or as I call it, The Mothership.

The store is a bbq'er's dream, Fred gives demos several times a year, and his rubs are excellent. He also has a wide assortment of Egg videos, everything for making burgers to replacing the gasket. And I love the store's motto: "More is better, and too much is just right."

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com

And a video of a tour of the store. Don't let the attitude put you off, the guy has some serious food chops. He knows his stuff.

http://youtu.be/-sx2XD4UP-M
  • Mikee
    Options

@Tjcoley Here is my warranty experience with AES. Called them and was told to send a picture with my information; no sale receipt needed. Then two days later they called me back to let me know the item was at their store.

I've been at Fred's on several occasions as I do travel in that area for work. Good selection on hand. They are not listed on the BGE site; not sure why (maybe because he sells other ceramic cookers). He typically runs ads on Craigslist: large for $699 and XL for $999. From Harrisburg its 50 miles or so. I got the impression the OP was looking at a dealer in the Harrisburg area.

While I never been at Weaver ACE Hardware which is even a further drive, they do have good pricing. http://www.weavershardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GREENEGG.pdf

Pricing is just the initial cost. Driving 50+ miles for a warranty claim offsets that somewhat. Sure, any dealer can fulfill the warranty claim but in my book its not fair to buy somewhere else (for cheaper) and then have the local dealer provide warranty claim(s). 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    A few years ago we visited friends that live across the river from Harrisburg and made the trip to Fred's and I thought it was worthwhile.  Had lots of stuff I had never seen before.

Gerhard
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Fred's in Shillington is great as is Meadow Creek BBQ in New Holland. Both are knowledgeable and provide great customer service.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Stauffers of Kissel Hill in Mechanicsburg (also in Lancaster) is where I bought mine. Good people and great service. Both stores hold a small egg fest twice a year and give a nice discount off the demo eggs. I also like Stone BBQ in Lancaster its run by a really nice couple who are also a great BBQ team. I hear nothing but good things about Meadow Creek. I don't think you can go wrong buying from any of these three dealers. All are owned by great people with a passion for BBQ. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Sounds like he has a bunch of options!  Thanks for everyone's feedback.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stompbox
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    While AES Hearthplace in Mechanicsburg may not be expert on BGE, their service is fantastic.  I bought my LBGE there, 3 years later had a major crack.  A few pictures and 10 minutes in the store and I had a replacement within 72 hours.  "Sweet Deals" Harrisburg (Similar to Groupon) recently had a coupon worth $500 for $250, good towards anything.  Nice savings.  Last I checked there were 3 coupons left.
    Stauffers of Kissel Hill has an expert on staff.  They have a big selection, and a couple times a year run a small Eggfest, with discounted Demo Eggs.  Should be a spring one coming up.
    Good luck and happy egging.

Stauffers is who I recommended as well. They are a great team and the eggfests are fun.  They are my go to.

I have wanted a smaller egg and thanks to @Tjcoley I will have a new one soon!  $250 off is a sweet deal.

I wanted a mini max but prices around here are kind of crazy at full price. I called around to 3 places and am getting $650 quotes and a medium is only $20 more. $700 after taxes for a small portable grill?! I was leaning towards a Joe jr for that reason.

So, even though the prices are high it will be $400 plus tax out of pocket for a minimax using the deal noted above.  The bonus is that I get to give them my first business. Thanks @Tjcoley !  Still need to decide if I should just get the medium for $20 more.

Stauffers could not touch that price.  So, if the OP friend is looking for price, this is likely the best deal in the harrisburg area at the moment.

I also noted Carlisle Kitchen Shoppe.  Great store and great staff.  They carry a lot of high end kitchen stuff and cool gadgets. Worth the stop IMO. They also carry Wicked Good lump.  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If New Holland isn't too far, Meadow Creek BBQ Supply 140 W Main St, New Holland, PA 17557 is a great dealer. Handles warranty claims without a question and extremely helpful. They have all kinds of BBQ and outdoor cooking stuff. Also have a fridge and freezer with meat for sale.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker