Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the egg?

do people clean the insides? I would assume its just tasty wonderful seasoning....but i wont about the convEGGtor that got dripped on by the turkey.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    fill up the firebox, light and open it up all the way (even remove the DFMT). let it go to 6-700+ for a couple of hours. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome aboard! Foil on your plate setter is your friend! Too bad you had not been told. As for your egg itself I hope you know that pristine white interior is history! The interior will get solid black, brown and shiney the longer you use it. Eventually you will want to do a burn out but we can tell you about that later. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cindysue
    Cindysue Posts: 22
    edited November 2015
    I just pull everything out and run a duster through it to get all the ash out.... 
    Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
    Lg. BGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    No need to clean, just cook and share.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thanks! done a chicken, a salmon, and 2 turkeys....in less than a week.  ribs thawing now!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    No reason to waste lump in clean burns if Pizza cooks are in the regular cooking rotation. This is sufficient in keeping the crustys at bay. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • on more question, the instructions said dont go super hot until you break it in...how many cooks is enough? because i love pizza...
  • Let her rip. When your gasket goes either run without it order a Rutland from @RRP
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    +1 on the Rutland from @RRP .   Except don't wait until your gasket burns up.  Order one now to have on hand when you need it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    I'm not in the clean burn camp.  Look up clean burn and you'll see all sorts of tales of woe from folks who were afraid of a little black.  When mine gets really bad, I take a balled up piece of HD aluminum foil and scrape the flakes off.  I need to do that at least once a year.  Of course I only cook on the eggs 3-4 times a week.  YMMV.  Don't worry about a little black - when it starts to flake you can address it.  The aluminum foil will work on the plate setter too. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    @claphamsa - A 3-4 hours is probably enuf.  The function of the "break-in" is to set the glue that holds the gasket.  The newer gaskets are much better than those from several years ago, and if not abused (read: clean burns) will last a long time. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Sweet Thanks all!!!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Get it good and hot, return the next day amd sweep out the ashes and you are good to go
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Cindysue, I use a shop vac with a filter to suck out all the ash after I pill my Kick Ash Basket out. Works like a charm.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • 400-500 burn for a few hours is more than enough to clean any evil that might be in the egg.  Clean burns can be done, but if you get too out of control, you could do some damage - cracking fire ring or firebox.

If your egg has boogers hanging inside, the balled-up foil works great.  Or use a stiff-bristled brush and scrap the hangers off.  Then I'd go with the burn to clean.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• what is the most efficient way to get the ash out?  ive done a number of long cooks now, and its kind of a mess. i have been stirring it and the scrapping the ash out the bottom....i almost want to take a leaf blower to it.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    claphamsa said:
    do people clean the insides? I would assume its just tasty wonderful seasoning....but i wont about the convEGGtor that got dripped on by the turkey.

I would assume its just tasty wonderful seasoning! NOT!!!! It's not tasty seasoning at all just dust and grease from cooking, if it was tasty wouldn't we rub our steaks and other meats on it before we cook? You will need to do a clean burn someday though.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I do a clean burn every ten cooks or so.  After each clean burn i remove fire ring and firebox and use a little dustpan and mini broom to sweep out the ash and then blow then whole thing out with electric leaf blower.   Maybe a little inefficient but a clean egg and factory designed airflow are guaranteed
  • I ended up pulling all the charcoal out by hand running it through a grate then pulled the bottom grate out and  sweeping it...what a mess...but good i did it, I was  maybe 75% blocked.

still think the leaf blower is the way to go.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Leaf blower will get the ash out. It will however put it all over everything near the egg - inside of the dome, outside of the egg, on the edge table or nest, on every tool and accessory near the egg and over everything on any nearby deck.  Shop vac will do the job but keep the ash contained.  The vac will satisfy the desire to use a big noisy tool!!  =)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• My egg is about 5 years old. Anybody get "egg sweat" where fat oozes out of the pours of the ceramic when you get the temps up?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited February 2016
    My egg is about 5 years old. Anybody get "egg sweat" where fat oozes out of the pours of the ceramic when you get the temps up?
    Yes, my small was sweating up a storm tonight when I grilled burgers. Its normal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Yeah, mine has done it for about a year. Wondering if at some point it will stop. Seems to happen when I have a long break between cooks.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    My egg is about 5 years old. Anybody get "egg sweat" where fat oozes out of the pours of the ceramic when you get the temps up?
    That is absolutely crazy!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts