Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sous Vide / BGE

Options
Just received my Anova Sous Vide yesterday.  Easy set up, simple to use.  My first attempt ...boneless chicken breast, Dizzy Dust, Butter, 2hrs at 140 degrees.  Chicken was perfect.   Finished on BGE to brown.   Have to admit, some of the best I've ever had.  I think this is going to be fun!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have been holding off. I have to pull the trigger soon. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I got mine about a week ago. I did some chicken breasts last night and they were amazing also. I did a slice of lemmon, garlic, fresh dill, capers, and S&P at 145 for 2 hrs. The only change I would make would be a lower temp next time. It is a lot of fun to play with!
    Parker, Colorado
  • coomdaddy
    Options
    Did my first two cooks last week with the Deal of the Day Anova.  First, three chicken breasts.  They were cooked perfectly but lacking on flavor.  I was rushing and just did salt a pepper.  Needed something more.  Finished on the grill for a bit. 

The second cook turned out much better.  Country style ribs rubbed with Bad Byron's at 161 deg for 23-24 hours.  They were falling apart and delicious.  We tried to finish one piece on the grill for looks and it wasn't necessary.  They were good enough right out of the ziploc bag.  May do steak tomorrow night.
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    coomdaddy said:
    Did my first two cooks last week with the Deal of the Day Anova.  First, three chicken breasts.  They were cooked perfectly but lacking on flavor.  I was rushing and just did salt a pepper.  Needed something more.  Finished on the grill for a bit. 

The second cook turned out much better.  Country style ribs rubbed with Bad Byron's at 161 deg for 23-24 hours.  They were falling apart and delicious.  We tried to finish one piece on the grill for looks and it wasn't necessary.  They were good enough right out of the ziploc bag.  May do steak tomorrow night.
    for chicken try searing it in cast iron with butter, same for pork chops.  my first chicken came out like yours, then i used butter and it changed the game.

give some 1" - 1.5" pork chops a try!
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    I did my first sous vide a couple of days ago.  Also have the Anova, which by the way was extremely simple to set up to use with my iphone.  Boneless chicken breasts, 140 for 2 hrs, s&p and various spices/herbs.  I left them in the vac bag and put in fridge overnight and then removed next day for a monster salad.  They came out of the bag with a moist surface, a little white fat that I just patted dry with paper towel.  We sliced and ate cold on the salad with a simple EVO vinaigrette.  I have to say the Anova did an incredible job, probably the most tender, moist, and flavorful chicken I've ever had - and it was cold on a bed of lettuce!

Tonight is Costco filet mignon... which I will finish on the egg along with some asparagus.  I had a steak cooked on the Anova last weekend that was soooo delicious - I went out and bought an Anova for myself.

Strongsville, OH

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    I am all in on the Anova SV, thing of beauty some of the food it turns out - I have only tried filet, chicken breast, pork tenderloin...looking forward to some short ribs as well.. I have a top round (labeled London Broil) steak that I am planning on cooking this weekend - I wonder if I should do this in the SV and for how long etc, anyone have experience?

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • stonedog03
    Options
    I did some Ribeye steaks last weekend.  Anova set to 124 degrees, 1:30 time.  I vacuum sealed the stakes with sea salt, pepper and a crushed garlic clove.  Seared at 650 degrees for 30 seconds per side x 2 (so a total of 2 minutes searing).  This was a RARE steak, super tender and tasty.  This was my second attempt with the Anova as the first time I made a few mistakes and the results where not optimal.  The second try was much better.  Wife's comment:  This is the best steak I have ever had.  I can live with that.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm breaking mine out tomorrow for the first use. So excited. My wife gave me the side eye look when I bought my Anova. Can't wait to make her a true believer!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    ...the first time I made a few mistakes and the results where not optimal. 
    I'm literally a newbie with this thing... care to elaborate?  I'd love to learn what not to do before I end up doing it myself.

Strongsville, OH

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I'm literally a newbie with this thing... care to elaborate?  I'd love to learn what not to do before I end up doing it myself.
     I may be too new at this to comment but it almost seems pretty fail proof.  I bought the Modernist Cooking book which looks pretty good.  I've also googled quite a bit and found it pretty helpful.  You can also download a cooking chart which should come in handy.  I picked up a couple of NY strips at my favorite market this afternoon for tomorrow's cook.  Will know more Sat. afternoon.  FWIW, my wife thinks this is a little weird too.  Somehow, she doesn't see a future in boiled steak!  Between the SV and BGE I plan to make the best steak she's ever had.  She still calls it the sudafed cooker, so I gusss that term is here to stay...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    victor1 said:
      I bought the Modernist Cooking book which looks pretty good. 
    Save yourself some grief - last night I tried the recipe on page 163 for salmon at 122º for 60 minutes, even though the author touted only 30 minutes. While it was flaky it was cold as soon as I plated it! Next time I'm going 140º! BTW I started with 121º water.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pork Chops!! You gotta do some pork chops! 3 hours at 137.5-141 depending on your pleasure, and BAM! Finished them off on the egg and they were perfection (doneness and texture)  I just did some soft boiled eggs for breakfast as well, holy hell this thing turns anyone into a pro, at least in the eyes of your family and friends lol.  Im honestly just trying everything I can to see what it can do.
  • victor1
    Options

Saturday afternoon follow up...I mentioned last night that I was going to SV a couple of NY Strips today.  Just finished about an hour ago and they were excellent.  I used Dales seasoning, about two hours at 140 degrees.  We like them a little more done but next time would do at about 135 degrees.  I seared them on the BGE for a couple of minutes.  Steaks were juicy, tender and done perfectly even through the whole cut.  FWIW...While this is an excellent way to do a steak, I have to admit it BGE only still has the edge.  I also think I convinced my wife that this is not as crazy as she thinks.  She still calls it the sudafed cooker however.  SV cooking might be a cure for allergies.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    I picked one up during the deal of the day.  Did two boneless/skinless chicken breasts at 150F for about 2 hours, salt and pepper for both, and one had some added herbs.  I thought they were good, tender and moist, not super flavorful though, but my wife didn't care for the texture and said they were too wet.  She was pretty pissed I spent that much on it and I ended up packing it up to return.  Although it is still in the shipping box in the garage.  I can't seem to part with it just yet.

From some additional reading, 150F is sort of a bad spot for chicken and supposedly weird stuff starts to happen at that point.  Will try 145 instead and then sear in a pan with butter as mentioned above.  

Does anyone else have someone that is just about nearly impossible to please with their cooking?  I try, but my wife loved the food at the Eggfest we went to, but now doesn't like the majority of stuff I make on the Egg.  Guess there is a reason we have a nearly put together Brinkmann gas grill in the garage.  

Anyway I digressed, great thread and hopefully something will turn out a little better next time.

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options

I did 5 Costco filets last Friday night.  If you get yours at Costco you know they are 3+ inches thick.  Seasoned with a splash of Dales and some thyme.  It was my first steak, and it came out amazing at 136F for 2 hours.  I got the egg cranked super high with my dragon and when I seard them crisscross I got a good sear but not a lot of crust, which we like.  The tenderness and flavor was out of this world.

I hear people say "not a lot of flavor" quite often.  Maybe I don't see this since I season heavily and use salt in my vac bag???  I dunno, at this point I am very pleased with this little device.  It's fun too and clearly a novelty, but even if I only use it for a thick steak I say it's worth it.

Strongsville, OH

• stonedog03
    Options
    Sure.....I made the following mistakes:  1) I put the steaks in the water before the water was at temp.  2) I did not season the steaks before vacuum sealing, only right before searing.  3)  I over seared them which resulted in them being over cooked (full medium instead of the rare to medium-rare I wanted. and finally 4) cheap cut of meat.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Used the Anova for the first time tonight. A light dust of rub and 2 hours at 145°. Brushed lightly with butter and seared on the Egg. Broc/cauli on side. Really good. Moist, tender and done all the way through. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • victor1
    Options
    Pork Chops!! You gotta do some pork chops! 3 hours at 137.5-141 depending on your pleasure, and BAM! Finished them off on the egg and they were perfection (doneness and texture)  I just did some soft boiled eggs for breakfast as well, holy hell this thing turns anyone into a pro, at least in the eyes of your family and friends lol.  Im honestly just trying everything I can to see what it can do.  thanks for the pork chop info... picked up 6 today for sometime this week.  they look great

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    Sure.....I made the following mistakes:  1) I put the steaks in the water before the water was at temp.  
    this is not a mistake, ive done the same meats both ways and there was no difference
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    ^  How long do the eggs take? Thanks!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I made a couple of sous vide burgers tonight. The flavor and moistness were great. We did not like the texture of the meat however. Meat mush.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I made a couple of sous vide burgers tonight. The flavor and moistness were great. We did not like the texture of the meat however. Meat mush.
    You never know till you try it...at least you made the effort.
    What temp and time did you try?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bettysnephew
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They were cooked at 127° for 1 1/2 hours then CI seared. These were ground chuck from Fresh Market BTW. Maybe if I ground my own meat they would be better but it was time to get this cooked and I thought "Why not try it?" If I cooked for a shorter time may have helped but it was packaged ground so I preferred it was cooked longer to be safe. 1 hour was recommended for home ground. They were nicely pink inside.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Try a flat iron steak at (131-132 = safe temp) for 24 hours. You will love it. fyi- I find on long baths the exterior of meat looks a little brown/weird, (I think it is maybe fat that hasn't broken down), I scrape this off, season and then sear. Came out as tender as a sirloin. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN