Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast Spinning On The Egg

Options
13»

Comments

• miniegghead
    Options

Joetisserie Ghost Chili Pork Butt

Started by bbqboss84601, Feb 18 2016 09:45 PM

• willymcnilly
    Options
    @chrisc133:  What temperature did you cook your roast at and to what internal?  

My interest in a rotisserie for the BGE is the ability of the BGE to hold stable temperatures.  The kettle I find easier to just cook at huge hot temperatures with a lot of charcoal.  But if a rotisserie on the BGE can produce a non-fat-aerosolized cook with a good sear at perhaps 350 degrees then I am all in. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @willymcnilly...... Zzzzzzzzz

dont like don't buy. Why come rain on @Dredger and the enjoyment she seems to be getting from this. 
    People really crack me up and forums give you the whole spectrum. 

Seattle, WA
  • miniegghead
    Options

My interest in a rotisserie for the BGE is the ability of the BGE to hold stable temperatures.  The kettle I find easier to just cook at huge hot temperatures with a lot of charcoal.  But if a rotisserie on the BGE can produce a non-fat-aerosolized cook with a good sear at perhaps 350 degrees then I am all in. 
    Started by bbqboss84601Feb 18 2016 09:45 PM

Bone is still in it. The pork butt weighed in at 7.44 lbs uncooked. The beauty of this cook was that the temp locked in at 250 and stayed there. Eight hours on the button and I checked the internal temp. 197. The difference between a 197 indirect and a 197 direct rotisserie style pork butt is that the rotisserie style butt at that temp was like butter everywhere I probed. The entire butt was glistening in juices when I pulled it off and stayed that way up until I foiled it. To get this large of a butt to fit I put a slice in the middle of the butt halfway down. Then went right to left about two inches each way to be able to fold the butt a little better to fit in the tumble basket. Meanwhile I slathered mustard and seasoned inside and out. Yummy! 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @chrisc133 absolutely perfect. Was thinking about pulling it and increasing temp to sear, but ran out of time. When we got it in the kitchen, decided to go with what we had.

Thanks @jbreed, we think it turned out good for our first standing rib roast using the Joetisserie. We have only done two chickens prior to this, so it's a learning curve.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • willymcnilly
    Options
    @SkinnyV - What the heck is the matter with you.  I'm not trying to rain on anybody.  I'm absolutely glad and overwhelmed with joy that Dredger enjoys the Joetisserie.  I enjoy rotisserieing too.  I'm just trying to figure out if this is for me or not - if I had already figured out that this definitely wasn't for me then I wouldn't post other than to say that Dredger's cook looks great - although I like a sear. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Skinny,

If you still have it, can you please measure the length and the width of the box? I'm working on buying a Joetisserie and a storage cabinet, and I want to make sure it fits.  I would much appreciate it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Dredger
    Options
    @SkinnyV, I couldn't agree more. I just went to check to see if it was a full moon, lol.

@miniegghead, impressive cook. I see more toys in my future. Nice basket. Any plated shots?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hub said:
    Skinny,

If you still have it, can you please measure the length and the width of the box? I'm working on buying a Joetisserie and a storage cabinet, and I want to make sure it fits.  I would much appreciate it.
    23" 3/4 L 21 1/2 W Approx. I'm keeping the box it packs up and stores easy from cooking.
    Seattle, WA
  • willymcnilly
    Options
    Look I don't post here very often.  Can somebody explain how my posts were offensive?  I simply want to understand if the Joetisserie is for me.  Should I have started another thread simply because I wasn't showering Dredger with praise?  It seems to me like people are becoming excited for excitement's sake rather than over the product producing amazing results that can't be duplicated elsewhere. 

It seems like I'm simply going to have to shell out the $ and try myself. 
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Not offensive just a whole lot of thought and opinion over a little $250 toy. Its a toy, no need to over analyze and beat to death. Believe me I laughed at the length and content more than took offense don't worry about it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks again, @SkinnyV. @willymcnilly, first of all, I am not trying to "sell" anyone on the Joetisserie. A lot of questions have been asked on many other threads about this product before I even took the plunge and bought mine. Heck, I've only done three cooks with it so far, but we're having a lot of fun with it. We're still learning as, I am sure, anyone else that now owns one will need to do and I am eagerly awaiting posts of their cooks so I can learn from them too. This forum is all about helping each other, not about soliciting praise. I really appreciate the knowledge about eggcessories shared here and I'm just trying to help. These guys and gals have helped me spend lots of money. I'm just trying to return the favor. =) Now working on rotisserie basket research.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Skinny, thank you for the measurements.  I appreciate it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • chrisc133
    Options

The rib roast was cooked at 350. I pulled it at 128. My company for dinner that night doesn't like it as medium rare as I do...but the center pieces were absolutely perfect for me. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Kudos to @Dredger for this earlier post....

Last night I did a 2 rib 3.5 lbs 45 day aged dry grass fed standing rib roast on the large...  Used FB400 to maintain temp of 300 (top vent totally shut with the Joetisserie providing plenty of "leakage") .  Pulled at 123 and rested 15 minutes before carving.  Rubbed only with coarse sea salt (spousal unit cannot have pepper)

It was VERY GOOD!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Kudos to @Dredger for this earlier post....

Last night I did a 2 rib 3.5 lbs 45 day aged dry grass fed standing rib roast on the large...  Used FB400 to maintain temp of 300 (top vent totally shut with the Joetisserie providing plenty of "leakage") .  Pulled at 123 and rested 15 minutes before carving.  Rubbed only with coarse sea salt (spousal unit cannot have pepper)

It was VERY GOOD!!!

Nice job right there.....and I miss @Dredger. Last we herd from her she was having some health issues. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Thanks Robin!  Looks like last posting was in November.  I hope she is doing well and back to egging and the forum!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks Robin!  Looks like last posting was in November.  I hope she is doing well and back to egging and the forum!!!
    Rick....she was off for quite a while before the November post. Hoping for the best for her. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow