Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing my Butt

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Looking to serve (2) 7# butts at 1pm on Sunday, in time for the Daytona 500 start.  Should I run it Saturday during the day, foil and chill, then rewarm and pull Sunday?  Or run them overnight Saturday night, with plans to have them done in time to FTC by 11am Sunday?  I'm leaning toward the Saturday day cook.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• hoofaloos
    Options
    I am a huge fan of overnight cooks.  My butts are almost always 18 hour cooks to 205* when cooking at 225*.  They are usually in the 8lb range too.  That said, you can put em on saturday evening and they will be done in time for the race.  or if you wanna watch something better, college basketball will be on too
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• CSH
    CSH Posts: 11
    Options
    Personally, I would cook on Saturday and reheat, then pull on Sunday. Much less stressful and you'll be able to get a good night's sleep. You'll enjoy the party more. Pork butt reheats very nicely. Just add a little apple juice when you reheat.
    BGE XL, Visions Grill, Multiple Webers, ABS Pit Boss
    Options
    The college basketball game I'm going to watch starts at 7pm tonight on ESPN2; VCU vs.Richmond.  Let's Go Rams!!
    Member since 2009
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    500 said:
    The college basketball game I'm going to watch starts at 7pm tonight on ESPN2; VCU vs.Richmond.  Let's Go Rams!!
    I'll cheer on the Rams.  We took your coach.  Thank you
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    As long as you have a remote thermometer to let you know if the temps veer off course I don't see any reason to not go overnight. Holding at 250 has not been an issue for me, but like clockwork I will usually get an alarm wake-up in the middle of the night (usually with the meat between 160-170 degrees, I assume related to the stall, but have no idea) and the temp will drop, but I've never had a fire go out. I crawl out of bed stumble to the egg and make an extremely minor adjustment and that carries me through to the next day. It sucks that you have to get up, but totally worth it. Your guests will thank you.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I will ALWAYS avoid reheating pulled pork if there is any possible way to do so.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I'm with @Carolina_Q here.  If you go early, when the butts are finished that's when I would pull them then reheat when ready to serve.  But your cook-and you can't miss with pulled pork.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I have yet to try this, but should you decide to cook ahead of time and reheat, I remember reading on here that using Coca-Cola to rehydrate is the way to go.  Not Diet-Coke, Pepsi, or anything else, only Coca-Cola.  If you want to read the discussion, here is the link.
     http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186819/add-drippings-to-pork-after-it-is-pulled#latest

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @500 - sounds like a really good opportunity for an early morning "Nitro" cook. Lol.  No jokin I think I'd do an overnighter @250ish and bump temp the next morning if needed. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm with @Carolina_Q here.  If you go early, when the butts are finished that's when I would pull them then reheat when ready to serve.  But your cook-and you can't miss with pulled pork.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. :) What I meant was, reheated pulled pork is never as good as fresh pulled. If he can time it so the meat comes off the egg when it's time to eat, great; pull and serve. If he's a few hours early, FTC will also do nicely.

Pulling now and reheating later is a distant third.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Do the manly thing and smoke overnight.  I really think it adds to the experience and the story.  One Christmas eve years ago, pre BGE, I had an offset horizontal smoker. It was a 200 dollar char griller. I was determined to serve brisket for Christmas lunch.  I knew how to control that smoker. . . Set my alarm for every 45 minutes to add wood and charcoal.  I was tired but my cook was a success.  First brisket attempt went pretty well. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    For me, it's always overnight,  always at least two at a time.
    Phoenix 
    Options
    OK.  You talked me into it.  I'll run it overnight. Don't want to loose my Egg Cred.  It's my birthday party Sunday, so why not.  Haven't done an ovenighter in awhile.  My only technical advantage is my old Maverick RediCheck dual probe wireless therm.  I will have to call on my Egg knowledge to get me through. I'll post some pics of the experience.
    Member since 2009