Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger ideas?

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone have a good idea for Hamburger recipe. Does dizzy make a good rub for it?

Comments

• toomsdpt,
    both dizzy cowlick and redeyeexpress are fantastic on burgers. ... i like to mix in a good dose of worchesteshire sauce or bbq sauce into the ground beef (always go at least 80/20 ground beef, never the leaner, dryer stuff). . ..make up some 1/2 pound patties, then hit them with a good coating of the rub. .. .i've found from others here on the forum that i like doing the burgers rather slowly. ..raised grid direct at around 300 degrees dome temp. ..takes a little longer, but dang the flavor is good. .. . i don't even put them on buns or with cheese anymore. ...call them 'big honkin naked burgers'. ..good stuff. ..

• toomsdpt
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I might try this.. How long do they take at that temp?
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    toomsdpt,
    A while back someone posted a hamburger recipe, I think it was called "butter burger" and it called for mixing cottage cheese to the patties. I made the recipe with a slight variation of some ingredents and used the cottage cheese. We loved them.
    If you want a great tasting pre-formed hamburger pattie, check out Whole Foods Market. They sell a bacon/green onion hamburger pattie that is just awesome.

• aka mr. Earl
    aka mr. Earl Posts: 151
    toomsdpt,[p]When I want to demonstrate to someone the difference between an Egg and a regular grill, or even a gas grill, I cook up a batch of hamburgers the simpler the better. [p]here's what I do. [p]for each pound of hamburger (it doesn't matter which kind, but I like ground chuck if I have that choice) mix in a tablespoon of dried diced onion, a large egg and maybe a tablespoon of Dizzy Pig Cowlick (but almost any of their rubs will do). Form your patties as you like. When you're ready to grill'em, sprinkle some more Dizzy Pig Cowlick on the outside. Not too heavy.[p]Fire the EGG to around any temp over 500 degrees. Place burgers on sizzling hot grill. Close lid but leave off cap and daisywheel at this point. Cook for 3 minutes. Open grill and flip burgers. Place cheese on if desired at this point. Close lid and let cook for another three minutes. [p]Now comes the important part. [p]Close up the bottom slide and close up the daisywheel completely. Let cook for 5 minutes. Temp will fall to 350-400 degrees. [p]Now comes an even more important part. [p]Open the bottom vent all the way. Take off the daisywheel. Wait 30 seconds, then raise the lid about ½ inch to avoid flame-up. (Maybe go the Naked Whiz' website and read up on flame-ups just to be safe)[p]Remove and eat the juiciest burgers imaginable. They will be cooked medium-rare to medium following these directions and depending on the thickness of the burger.[p]BTW, this is a modification of recipe already on the BGE recipe section.[p]When you serve this to folks who have never heard of a BGE, they usually go nuts and start asking questions. Why does it taste so good? What else does it do? Where can I get one? Etc. Just tell'em to chew their food slowly. then ask them if they'd like another hamburger.

• toomsdpt,
    they can take up to a good 15 minutes per side. ..more of roasted burger than a grilled one ...the juice will litterally flow out of it. . ..

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    toomsdpt,
    Here is my favorite recipe. Have been using it for almost 20 years and it has never failed to impress.[p]2 lb. Hamburger (80/20)
    1 tsp. Onion Powder
    1 tsp. Garlic Powder
    ½ Cup BBQ sauce (I use Kraft Hickory flavor)
    ½ Cup bread crumbs[p]Mix well, form burgers and grill!

• I just made some burgers with ground lamb last night, as a bit of variation from the tried and true. Mixed up a rub using cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, and salt/pepper, grilled direct and served in pocket bread with tzatziki sauce, lettuce and tomato. Yum!

Having said that, I usually just use 80/20 chuck, make nice thick patties, season heavily with salt and coars-ground pepper, and serve simply with cheese and perhaps a little mayo. As minimalist as I get (naked might offend my sensibilities, you know).

Egg-burgers rock!

-Jeff
  • Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    toomsdpt,
    I tried the Brisket burger idea that was on the Today Show, I twice ground a flat cut brisket, didn't trim any fat, 2nd grrind I added a 1/2 of a disentegrated Vidallia onion, and some Worchestor sauce, best burgers I've ever had, if you don' have a meat grinder you can have your butcher do it. Good luck Jason

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    toomsdpt,
    ken stones witchy red is the best rub ive had on a burger. brasciole can be made with straight burger and make great sandwiches.

[ul][li]brasciole.[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • toomsdpt
    PICK,
    Yeah i saw the Today show that was on. That guy swore by the briskett. Maybe i should try it

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    PICK,
    What is the reason for grinding it twice? -RP

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    aka Mr. Earl,[p]ditto... this is what i do.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    toomsdpt,[p]I had some left-over mustard paste from ribs. The recipe was approximately[p]1 1/2 C yellow mustard
    3 Tbl kosher salt
    3 Tbl turbinado sugar
    3 Tbl garlic powder
    3 Tbl onion granules
    3 Tbl sweet paprika
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp nutmeg[p]I spread the top of some burgers with it, put them on a raised grill at 300, went away for a few minutes, maybe ten, saw that the mix had merged with the meat, turned them, left them for another 5 min, sliced on to see if they were medium, yep! Plopped 'em on a bun without anything else and they were just as tastey and juicy as I could hope for.[p]gdenby[p]

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    toomsdpt,
    Most of the time I use the method show by aka Mr. Earl which is outstanding. I have also tried the Butter Burgers, but found those to be better fried then egged.[p]By far the best I have had so far is the KOBE burgers. Due to the $$$$ they are not an everyday thing, but worth a try.[p]Next I will try the Brisket burgers.[p][p]Let us know how it works out.

[ul][li]KOBE Beef[/ul]
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    toomsdpt,
    I made the butterburger recipe Sat night and they were excellent.

• Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    toomsdpt,
    Sorry, had to go on a jobsite, work sucks, wish I could just be on the forum all day. I don't know the reason for grinding it twice thats just what they said on the show, They did say to do a fine grind both times. I did a course then a fine grind, worked fine, I'm telling you though were the best burgers in my life, I'm only 26 though. Later Jason

• AZRP,[p]Ground Beef is ground twice and sausage is ground only once. That is why you find larger "chunks" in sausage. I worked in a grocery store in high school and we always ground beef twice.[p]Ray

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    toomsdpt,[p]fwiw... Last night I did some worcestershire cilantro burgers with onion top-hats, that turned out great! Took pics and will be posting my cook details on the board later today. They were easy to prepare and something I will definately do again![p]EggNerd