Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Round 2!

Options
First I want to thank everyone that chimed in on my first post ( http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191430/first-brisket-on-the-egg-questions#latest ) and specifically SmyrnaGA for the idea of putting a pizza stone over the gap in the platesetter to get direct heat off of the flat.

On to the cook!

Picked up a 16 lb packer at RD, found a good bendy one with plenty of soft fat.  Trimmed it down to around 11 pounds. picture is pretrimmed.

Got a good setup with the pizza stone, totally forgot to wrap it in foil so thats going to be a pain to clean.  Cooked it at between 250-275. This was about 3 hours in wasn't really getting enough smoke so I added some more hickory chunks and got a good color.I opened it and sprayed down any parts that were starting to crust with water and beer.  Wrapped after it got through the stall at 180, didn't hit the second stall like the first time and it just trucked right up to about 200 in a few parts of the flat.  Total cook time was about 9 hours and then I rested it for about 3.5 hours in a towel and cooler until it was ready to serve.  Overall the point was a little behind the flat temp wise, I think the deepest part was about 185 when I pulled it but I think it did some crossover cooking while it rested because it came out just about perfect, probably could have cooked an extra 5 degrees to really melt in your mouth but it was still awesome.

Can't wait for round 3!

Comments