Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost fire

Options
Real time help...for the first time, I lost my fire. Last time I checked around 4 am I had a dome temp of 230. I placed 2 butts and a large brisket in around 9:15. Got up around 7:30 and had no fire, egg temp down to 125 or so. Internal meat temp on the butts is reading 135-140. I could've sworn they were in the 150's when I checked at 4am. I know there is no way to truly tell but think it's still safe to roll forward?  (I plan on keeping the brisket going either way)

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At 135-140, I would keep rolling. You can finish them in the oven if you want to. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • BigGreek
    Options
    Thanks SmokingPiney. I have reasoned in my mind now that the internal temps had to have crossed that safe line before they fell after the fire died. I had already been cooking for over 7 hours when I last checked. At this point I foiled everything and relit the egg. I have everything back on and rolling. I just hope everything turns out ok! 
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    I think you should be good to roll forward. Crank her back up or finish in the oven. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Nothing to add, but I feel for you.  I've lost my first two fires this winter.  One was at 3 am in the middle of an unexpected snow storm.  Thankfully, with my training and experience I reacted appropriately: I panicked and swore a lot.  Both times I neglected to let some of that nastier smoke burn off before I put my butts back on.

On a side note, good for you for doing two butts and a brisket!  I like it, a man's man!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great audible right there.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wonder if the loss of fire could have been caused by the amount of meat on the Egg? More food requires more heat and may have caused the lump to burn faster to maintain dome temp since the food needs to absorb more heat. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• BigGreek
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. It's just disappointing to have a fire go out. In the 10 years I've had mine, this is the first time I can recall a fire burning out. I have no idea what I did wrong, but I'm hoping it all turns out ok.  I'll let y'all know how it goes
  • Robo2015
    Options
    BigGreek, did all the lump burn out or did the fire burn a hole straight down (leaving good lump around the sides)?

• Grillnugget
    Options
    Great question @Robo2015 , what causes that straight down burn through anyway?
  • BigGreek
    Options
    I have a ring spacer in my egg I removed so I could fit all the meat for this cook. I guess I didn't add enough fuel. However, I've never had a fire burn out this quick. I've done 22hr cooks no problem before. I guess it got hot and did the straight down burn. I'd say 5% charcoal was left
  • Robo2015
    Options
    Ha! Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what causes that straight down burn.  I noticed that's what happened to me and did some research on this forum.  I believe it is called the Blackhole effect.  I have since tried to over come it by lighting my lump in several locations around the pit, instead of just one right in the middle.

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I put 2 11lb Packers on last night.  About 10degrees in MD.  The party q batteries must have froze because I needed to change them out three times.  Egg is burning way more lump than usual and is struggling to stay in the 250 range.  Lump is burning correctly though
    Chester, MD
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    DIAD said:
    I put 2 11lb Packers on last night.  About 10degrees in MD.  The party q batteries must have froze because I needed to change them out three times.  Egg is burning way more lump than usual and is struggling to stay in the 250 range.  Lump is burning correctly though
    Cold weather is a battery killer.
    It's hard to beat a temp control on an egg on a long cook.
    As other's have pointed out, the draft characteristics of the egg change as the lump burns down. This is what causes the need to readjust the dampers on the egg.
    The temp controller solves this problem by adjusting the air to the fire instead of having to adjust the dampers. 

An experienced egger can lay the lump in the egg to overcome the changing draft characteristics without the need of a temp control.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GregW said:
    An experienced egger can lay the lump in the egg to overcome the changing draft characteristics without the need of a temp control.
    And walk on water without getting their feet wet among other attributes ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GregW said:
    And walk on water without getting their feet wet among other attributes ;)

It felt like Moses was parting the Red Sea with an east wind around here last night.  Believe you could have walked right through that water.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I possess neither the skill or the patience to build a self sustaining fire.
    All the magic in what I do on long cooks I owe to my trusty Stoker.
  • BigGreek
    Options
    well, everything turned out GREAT.  I left everything foiled and when they reached the done temps, toweled and rested in a cooler for 4 hours (butts got about 2.5 hours rest).  Actually, this ended up being one of my better cooks.  Thanks for all the help when i needed it, that's what makes this such a good site.  I hope i can pay it forward one day!