Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 year Egg Maintenance

Options
I have had my egg for about a year wondering what I should start looking for as far as maintenance.

I just did a brisket cook and some ribs for the Superbowl this weekend think I'm due for a clean burn 

Any tips for cleaning out the egg?

Comments

• AVEngineer
    Options
    I have not had mine 1 year yet, but I plan on pulling the fire box and fire ring so a good visual inspection of the base can be done.  Doing this will also force you to clean out all left over ash, which is never a bad thing.   
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have had my egg for about a year wondering what I should start looking for as far as maintenance.

I just did a brisket cook and some ribs for the Superbowl this weekend think I'm due for a clean burn 

Any tips for cleaning out the egg?

We are reluctant to burn out all of our built up seasoning on our smokers, can add to flavoring each future cook.  If you choose to burn out your seasoning...tighten the nuts on your two main band bolts before and after you do your clean burn.  I would be hesitant to go over 500° on the clean burn.  Collateral damage is common on clean burns at temps over that threshold.  JMHO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    It would also be a good idea to check all the nuts/bolts and the bands.  Make sure everything is still tight.  They tend to get loose over time and especially after high temp cooks.

This.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    My clean burn cracked my egg, so good luck 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I have done clean burns, but I wouldn't bother if you don't have gunk built up.

if you want to, full it up with lump, open it wide open, and let it run hott u till it does out. Should get up around 8 to 900. 

But it be prepared to replace your gasket, it will
    Be fried. But I installed a Rutland after my clean burn . So win win
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ^and take out the dome thermometer
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Tighten your bolts. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dirty_denim86
    Options
    I just did a few cooks this weekend low and slow. Notice the outside of the dome getting really dirty anyone know what that might be?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I just did a few cooks this weekend low and slow. Notice the outside of the dome getting really dirty anyone know what that might be?
    You mean like was discussed here?:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191684/prep-for-tomorrow-doing-a-clean-burn-egg-dome-is-sweating-do-i-have-a-problem#latest
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Usually nothing cracks on a low and slow. Just sayin...
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    RRP said:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191684/prep-for-tomorrow-doing-a-clean-burn-egg-dome-is-sweating-do-i-have-a-problem#latest
    That's anything I can do to prevent it from doing that should a clean burn clear that up for now?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's anything I can do to prevent it from doing that should a clean burn clear that up for now?
    Not sure why some eggs do it and others don't, but I imagine it is a matter of usage in direct proportion to the amount of greasy meats cooked. It's not that big of a deal so don't sweat the sweat. =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just plan to cook some pizza for a clean burn.  Let the egg run about 500 for 45 minutes to an hour until it is burning nice and clean, then throw on a pizza or two.  More fun than firing up the egg just to clean it. 

If my plate setter is crusty then I will turn it legs down so that side gets clean.  I usually use foil or drip pans but sometimes some things miss the pan and it gets a bit crusty anyway.  The downside to legs down is I think it fries your gasket quicker but my gasket is already mostly gone anyway.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I would go ahead and get a Rutland gasket.
    See @RRP for the hookup.

This will get the gasket out of the way and ensure many years of cooking bliss.

• dirty_denim86
    Options
    GregW said:
    I would go ahead and get a Rutland gasket.
    See @RRP for the hookup.

This will get the gasket out of the way and ensure many years of cooking bliss.

What is so great about the Rutlant gasket?
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    It is actually designed for high temperature applications such as wood stoves and fire places. The one thing that BGE supplies that is inferior is the crappy felt gasket that melts on high temp cooks or clean burns. They love it when you come back to get another one year after year. Send a P.M. to @RRP and he will hook you up. I think he has supplied most of the replacements to everyone here on the forum.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have never done any maintenance other than add a Rutland and replace the stock charcoal grate for a high que. Pizza cooks are my clean burn. Never had mold or anything in the years I have had it.  My hinge needs replacing but will look into that at some point. I just choose not to overthink it. The more problems you worry about the more you will find IMO
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013