Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for HUGE Steaks - Superbowl 50!

Options
So, every year my buddies and I get together and cook/eat T-bones the size of whatever the Superbowl number is.  So this year it's a 50oz T-bone.  By the way, this year is the last year of the big steaks since they are getting way to big. 

We always cook them on my gas grill mainly because all 9 steaks fit at once, but this year I want to use my Large Egg just for 3 of the steaks.  The rest can go on the gas grill.  My question is, what time per side should I be looking at for these huge steaks.  I was thinking on getting the Egg to 500 degrees and putting them on, only turning them once. 

For reference the steaks are a 2.5-3 inches thick.  Here is a pic from a few years ago at I think 47oz.

Thanks for any tips.

Sherriff
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Sherriff
    Options
    Good idea.  Thanks, I'll try that. 
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Trying to sear such a thick steak at high temp would result in a very rare cook. That is true on a gas grill or an egg. Reverse sear is the way to go. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    You may want to consider hot tubbing to around 110-115*F then going caveman to get them to the finish temp.  Something about tossing high $$ steak right on the burning lump that leads to great looks and comments.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    How can you not go all Caveman on those? They are perfect for the occasion and the thickness. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just a thought but perhaps you could reverse sear them all using a combination of the egg and your gasser.  As big as they are I imagine you could stand them up vertically like a roast.  If you are doing 9 it still might be a tight squeeze but maybe a row of 4 and 5 with a gap in between each one.  If needed you could use skewers to help hold them in place.  After they reach the desired temp let them rest a bit while the gasser heats up and finish them off on the gasser. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    anything huge, cook in two parts, one for internal temp, the other for exterior color/crust

basically, it's really a roast.  you can roast slowly to temp and then sear over high heat.  or sear, then roast over lower heat.

or hot tub, then sear.

if you try to direct sear it to an internal temp, you will overcook the outer portion of meat and end up with a small core of your 'ideal' temp

but if you roast it or bring it to the desired internal temp slowly, and then sear (before or after), you get much more of what you are paying for

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Did a couple Tomahawks a few weeks ago, 250 pulled at 117, then seared. Perfection.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I like to reverse sear big steaks. Cook them at around 300 until they are 110. Take them off and open the vents to increase Egg temp to 600 or so. Sear each side a minute or so until you have your desired internal temp. You can't go wrong with this method. 
    Second this method. 

And I am impressed you made it past Super Bowl 32.  Gotta love the commitment though.

I ate 2 - 16oz ribeye one evening.  We had extra and it seemed like a bad thing to waste.  I felt like crap and sluggish the whole next day.  Hats of to the guys eating a 50 oz T-bone.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Napping at halftime?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    With that many steaks that big I would Sous Vide them and then sear them off on the Egg to whatever doneness that person wants. Then they will all be equally perfect and you won't have to worry at all about them all being done right.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Reverse sear would serve you well.  Please post whatever you do!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2016
    Options
    With that many steaks that big I would Sous Vide them and then sear them off on the Egg to whatever doneness that person wants. Then they will all be equally perfect and you won't have to worry at all about them all being done right.
    I ran the calculations for a steak 2.5 inches thick. The Polyscience Toolbox warns that the center of the steak would not reach pasteurization temp in 6 hours or less with a 130 deg water temp. The safety of a steak this thick would require 132 Degrees water temp and 8 hr 20 min cook time.

From what I have read the steak needs to be at pasteurization temp in 6 hours or less to be considered safe.  It is dependent on the thickness and water temp. I had thought going at the 130 Deg water temp would allow for a good sear on the egg. I don't think upping the water temp to 132 deg would cause you to overcook during the sear.

A 3 inch thick steak would require higher water temp to stay in the 6 hour safe zone, and additional time.

I think this would be a good application for Sous Vide as long as you are within the food safety guidelines .
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Those are gorgeous pieces of meat. I gotta go with consensus here- reverse sear for such a thick steak will not let you down!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Those are gorgeous pieces of meat. I gotta go with consensus here- reverse sear for such a thick steak will not let you down!

Personally, I would not consider any other way.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Steak. They Never Disappoint. Enjoy. 
    Side Note your handle is rather fitting for SB50 :smiley: Go Broncos!!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Google "Peter Luger style"
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Oh my word what wonderful hunks of meat. I don't know if I could sentence some of my friends to the gassers. Those beauts reverse seared would be amazing. Has to be a way to get them done on the egg. multiple grates for indirect, pull and do them 3-4 at a time to finish? Oh man that would be amazing.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• chadpsualum
    Options
    Do only the 'special' people get the steaks cooked on the Egg?

You could always do the low part of the cook on the gasser and then fire the egg up high for the final sear.  Since it's only a minute or so per side you could do all of the steaks that way.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @cheffy65 - great looking steaks right there.  Technique?
    And-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sherriff
    Options
    Ok, Reverse Sear it is! 

Just to clarify, 3 of the guys are designated to cook all the steaks and they like the gasser. 

Every year my steak is hit or miss.  This year I am cooking my own on the Egg.  If others want to join, that's fine.  The others can can gas all they want. 

One question, to bring my steak to 110 at 3 inches think, at 250-275 degrees, how long approx am I looking at?  Just want to try and eat around the same time as the gasser guys.

Thanks for all the info.  Pics to follow of course!!!

Sherriff
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I have looked at that picture for the last three days. I have decided to ask.....what do I need to do to get an invite.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sherriff said:
    Ok, Reverse Sear it is! 

Just to clarify, 3 of the guys are designated to cook all the steaks and they like the gasser. 

Every year my steak is hit or miss.  This year I am cooking my own on the Egg.  If others want to join, that's fine.  The others can can gas all they want. 

One question, to bring my steak to 110 at 3 inches think, at 250-275 degrees, how long approx am I looking at?  Just want to try and eat around the same time as the gasser guys.

Thanks for all the info.  Pics to follow of course!!!

Sherriff
    Nice thing about reverse sear is you can let it rest between roast and sear to help with timing.

"If" you can get your steak the night before...course salt it and put on wire rack in fridge over night. Pull it out 3 hours before you start cooking it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SherriffTerrific tradition!  
    Phoenix 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Whatever you decide, please post pics!!!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Yeah, that is better than my superbowl tradition...falling asleep before it is over.
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    Very nice...I guess there won't be many side dishes with this meal! Looking forward to hear how it all turns out and see some finished pics. Good luck!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Very nice...I guess there won't be many side dishes with this meal! Looking forward to hear how it all turns out and see some finished pics. Good luck!
    I would just like to gnaw on all the bones.