Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow-on to the wings question: how many different ways...

Options
Most people seem to do their wings 400* indirect, or raised direct. But some report 275 indirect, and there are going to be other reports as well.

I do mine at 400*, grate at the firebox level, turning frequently. And, I've seen other ways; I've seen people vortex them with the wings off the fire, for example, but otherwise firebox level.

What all this makes me think is that wings are very forgiving, and usually taste great no matter how you do them on the BGE. (Mine were fantastic, they got some of the best raves I've had for anything, even at work as leftovers the next day.) With so many people reporting great results with their method, I really think that can be the only conclusion: "Wings on the BGE are awesome, pick a method."

Anyone else thinking along the same line?

Comments

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Pretty much...though 400 raised indirect works so well for me, and is so easy with only a few check-ins to move wings around and flip once or twice, with exactly the end result I want, I am pretty much convinced that this is the "best" method.
    Toronto ON
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'd tend to agree. I've done them at various temps and setups and the results were happy eaters. For me depending on whether they're for wings alone or a specific dish dictates on prep and cook method. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    Options
    Yep - very forgiving.  I tend to go hot-indirect, but they turn out no matter how you do them, it takes a lot to overcook them.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

On the egg, I like raised direct so I don't have to deal with catching or cleaning up the rendered fat.

and I know this is heresy around here but I my favorite way to do grilled wings is on a weber kettle, set up for 2 zone cooking.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Over the years I have gathered 419 wing recipes off various forums and the temps are all over the place, BUT the one constant is that they were great for whoever cooked them. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    My best results have been at a 4:1 ratio of rub:corn starch.  Sit them in the fridge overnight and then 400 raised direct.  Crispy as can be.  No survivors, ever.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Any DP run combinations you guys recommend?  I got a variety pack for Christmas, so sky is the limit.  Thinking of a mix of dizzy dust and swamp venom or ghost pepper for some, but maybe something with less spice for the kids.  Suggestions are welcome....
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Robo2015 said:
    Any DP run combinations you guys recommend?  I got a variety pack for Christmas, so sky is the limit.  Thinking of a mix of dizzy dust and swamp venom or ghost pepper for some, but maybe something with less spice for the kids.  Suggestions are welcome....

I am a big fan of Raging River, straight up.
    Toronto ON
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I toss mine in peanut oil and rub.  Raised direct 400 come out nice and crispy.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Simcan said:
    Robo2015 said:

I am a big fan of Raging River, straight up.
    Thanks for the tip Simcan, the kids loved the Raging River ones!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    OK, wings are great with lots of different recipes and lots of different cooking techniques.

Now where is that picture of what happens when you fall asleep?

That's the only time I have seen wings done WRONG.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I do mine at 275*F with applewood smoke for an hour, indirect, flipping every 20 minutes.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    OK, wings are great with lots of different recipes and lots of different cooking techniques.

Now where is that picture of what happens when you fall asleep?

That's the only time I have seen wings done WRONG.
    Found the pic.  This is how NOT to make chicken wings.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Lots of great methods to wings, this is my way.

Yardbird, Corn starch, get happy in fridge for one hour  

Direct, flipping every 5 minutes as per my trusty Triple Timer.

I love wings (I buy them by the 40lb box)

These were last night's bedtime snack.

Phoenix 
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    All different ways to do them. I think the general consensus is high temp (400ish) either direct raised or indirect. Too low of a temp will hinder the crisping of the outer skin. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I don't cook my wings on the egg I find a weber kettle works much better. Pour out a chimney and spread it flat on one side and cook the wings direct to crisp up the skin then move them over to the other side to finish. You could get your egg really hot then add the platesetter to get the same results but it's much easier on a kettle. I also think you can screw up wings for sure with chewy skin.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Lit said:
     I also think you can screw up wings for sure with chewy skin.
    I have never been able to get crispy skin when truly smoking mine.  Hot (350 and up) never an issue.

I would say one rubbing and sitting in fridge for a couple hours does make a major difference no matter the style you cook them.  I have never done the corn starch method, but never felt the need to.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tailg8ers
    Options
    I've generally cooked my indirect around 250-275 flipping often - cooks in about an hour -hour 1/2.  During football season - do direct on minimax at 350-400 but have no idea how long generally cook them as the adult beverages tend to distort timekeeping. 
    for those of you doing them at 400 direct - how long til they are perfected - generally your ballpark time??
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:
     I also think you can screw up wings for sure with chewy skin.
    I have never been able to get crispy skin when truly smoking mine.  Hot (350 and up) never an issue.

I would say one rubbing and sitting in fridge for a couple hours does make a major difference no matter the style you cook them.  I have never done the corn starch method, but never felt the need to.

There are a couple of restaurants near me that "twice-cook" wings with a smoke then roast or fry. That seems to fix that issue. I just look for some smoke flavor, similar to if you are grilling something. Baking Powder gives the skin a fried texture at 400-425 indirect. I go 3:1 rub to BP and let it sit OTA in the fridge overnight.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    tailg8ers said:
    I've generally cooked my indirect around 250-275 flipping often - cooks in about an hour -hour 1/2.  During football season - do direct on minimax at 350-400 but have no idea how long generally cook them as the adult beverages tend to distort timekeeping. 
    for those of you doing them at 400 direct - how long til they are perfected - generally your ballpark time??
    Raised direct, 40-45 minutes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    tailg8ers said:
      During football season - do direct on minimax at 350-400 but have no idea how long generally cook them as the adult beverages tend to distort timekeeping.  

Perfect directions. Hope all is well up your way....you folks attending the Butt Blast?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always wash and dry my wings first them leave them in the fridge uncovered as long as possible. I bought one of these from BB&B a couple years ago and its great for letting wings dry especially if you have alot. You can fold the bottom legs under and it still gives you a half inch or so air gap under the bottom shelf so its not too tall in the fridge. I just put the whole thing on a sheet pan so my wife doesn't have to clean the chicken drippings out of the fridge. I didn't see them on BB&B website anymore but amazon has it. http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-459-Excelle-3-Tier-Cooling/dp/B00030CGKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454593961&sr=8-2&keywords=stackable+cookie
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't forget turkey wings:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blasting
    Options

@Lit  Good idea on the rack.  I have two of those, but never thought to use them for wings.  I've always just put wings on a cookie sheet, but your way will no doubt work better - thanks.

Phoenix 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    @Lit I just a regular baking cooling rack over a baking sheet.  I actually use the rack over a bs for just about everything.  Makes for easy cleanup when putting rub on anything so it doesn't sit in water and take the rub off or when bring stuff in off the egg so it doesn't sit in any moisture.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Do you apply the seasoning/cornstarch  after seasoning? How do you get it to stick? 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Robo2015 said:
    Try the Tsunami Spin ... it's our go to wing rub.

If you cook full wings, you can leave the tip on 1/3, cut the tip in half on 1/3, and cut the tip off the final 1/3.  Pull out three different rubs and have at it.  Then the family gets a chance at a side-by-side taste off.  Just remember that adult votes count twice.  

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Jeepster47 said:
    Try the Tsunami Spin ... it's our go to wing rub. 

Ours too, good by itself how my wife lkes it or works well with sauces, my style. 
    I dont dry, starch or prep the wings. Just season and cook hot indirect about 450ish.
    add sauce a couple minutes before pulling. The egg rocks roasted chicken. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • blasting
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do you apply the seasoning/cornstarch  after seasoning? How do you get it to stick? 
    @oldgeezeystax

I wash them, dry them.  Apply the rub.  Then cornstarch.  The flour sifter below works perfect for applying the cornstarch and for storing it, as it has top and bottom lids included - it's my "wing shaker".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004OCNL?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @blasting ... wow ... mine sometimes go on the grill partially frozen ... one of those last minute decision type of approaches. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max