Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Torch Question

Options
I bought a mapp torch yesterday for the egg. I have a question about storing it. Do you take the torch off the tank to store or is it ok to leave on? 
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I leave it on. I hope that is OK, because I'm not about to start breaking it down each time I use it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I leave mine on but you should take it off when you bring it in doors. I store mine outside with the egg.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    LRW said:
    I leave mine on but you should take it off when you bring it in doors 
    I store mine outside in my deck box. That makes sense, as if it had a slow leak you wouldn't want it inside. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    LRW said:
    I leave mine on but you should take it off when you bring it in doors. I store mine outside with the egg.

What are the reason(s) to take it off for inside storage? I brought mine in last year when it was below freezing outside. This year, I've left it outside so far. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Any gas cylinder has a potential for a leak when connected to the torch head. Might never happen but why take the chance.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2016
    Options

All hooked up. Use for both Large and the Mini-Max. The Mini gets the smaller yellow one. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    LRW said:
    Any gas cylinder has a potential for a leak when connected to the torch head. Might never happen but why take the chance.
    Thanks for the info. I had'nt thought that it would leak. I will definitely dissemble from now on if I ever bring it in. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm in the "remove it" camp. As for gas lost with that alarmingly loud PUFF upon the final twist DON'T worry about it! I have a propane tank that is at least 14 years old that I use only to heat a brass branding iron I use to mark wood projects.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I take mine off and I store it in my shed . Worked in the Forklift Industry since I was a little kid (father owned forklift repair shop)and have seen what propane can do and how things could start leaking out of the blue . Not pretty when one goes off. I also leave windows opened in shed for air just in case .
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Makes sense.  I've got an attached tool garage with at least three torches attached to the cylinders.  I'll unscrew them tomorrow.

Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I leave it on.  The last tank i had leaked when the torch was off.  I thought that to be odd.  I wanted to be able to take it off so it would fit in my plumbing box IF i ever needed to do some plumbing work away from the house.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    One other issue to consider is ( if it's on a small 1 lb tank) dropping it or breaking off the torch. I've heard of people dropping lit torches from a ladder and blowing windows out of the house. Better safe than sorry, close tank valves and remove torches from valve-less tanks.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    The valve in the bottle can also leak if the torch head is not on there (those little valves can rust or stick.)  I leave mine on......if I reach for mine and the bottle is empty, I know there's something wrong with the torch head.  Better to know that with an empty bottle than when it's lit off.

Also, for kitchen/BBQ use, get to short green bottles.  They have a wider base and don't tip over like the tall skinny ones.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    I leave it on the bottle. More due to laziness than any concern over leaks.

As stlcharcoal says, the little valve in the bottle is also a failure point itself so choose your poison. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I leave it on and bring it in the house.  After reading this I think I'll store it outside or in the garage.  I'm not sure about leaving it out in my deck box in the cold.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    I leave it on and bring it in the house.  After reading this I think I'll store it outside or in the garage.  I'm not sure about leaving it out in my deck box in the cold.
    That's where I keep mine - deck box year around.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    leave it on, twenty years of plumbing can't be wrong.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    If I am reading it rite you bought a map torch? There for I assume hand held unit is what you bought. I'm just a dumb plumber that has used case upon case or the bottles. The only time I ever had a leak was when I removed the hand unit from the bottle. Have never had a issue with leaving the unit on the bottle. Between a on off selector and a pull trigger to ignite the odds of accidental ignition is as good as the lottery that we never win.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SuperCooper
    Options
    Wow, lots of opinions, i think i am going to go with leaving it on and bringing it inside. I work in construction and also asked one of our plumbers today and his response was "why would you want to take it off?"
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Wow, lots of opinions, i think i am going to go with leaving it on and bringing it inside. I work in construction and also asked one of our plumbers today and his response was "why would you want to take it off?"
    I agree! To each his own with your comfort level of what resides in your basement or wherever! So happens that just today I sent a 2+ pound box of matches to a collector in CA. I had collected them for nearly 55 years, but Pat has always had a fear of them! Today FedEx never even asked the contents and for $14.31 my collection of flammables are now in transit to the Shaky City!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Texag06ish
    Options
    I take mine apart. I store the fuel in the pantry and the torch head in a plastic baggie in my table.