Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware 3" Blackface Temperature Thermometer

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
@Jeepster47 passed along a 3" Blackface Smokeware Thermometer

Pros:  Similiar price to tel-tru replacement OEM gauge, Huge 3" Face is easily visible, Holds its calibration through abuse, No condensation in the face, little rubber seal included to seal the hole in the egg and isolate the thermo face from the egg.

Cons:  Non-adjustable (but could be a huge pro if it maintains it calibration which it appears to be doing, even after keeping it in for a clean burn and dropping it in the snow.)

Overall:  Beautiful looking gauge that is an easy decision if your Green Egg thermo needs replacing, or you just want a bigger easier to read thermo.  I have since replaced my XL egg's thermo too.  Love the look.

This is one of those things I didn't know I needed, but I am sure glad I have it.  I had seen the gauges and always thought they looked nice online.  In person they look fantastic.  The size difference is significant.  I can clearly see the gauge from my kitchen window.

The gauge has a nut on the back that looks like it is to adjust the calibration like the green egg thermos.  After talking to Matt (at Smokeware) it is actually not adjustable.

This is an area of concern I had.  My Green Egg thermo always needs recalibrating.  Since I removed the clip from the back it doesn't happen as often, but still every few months it seems I need to adjust it.  Especially after high heat cooks.

After using the thermo for a month or so I decided to see how robust the thermo was.  I cooked a chicken steady at 350 for 1.5 hours.  After the chicken was done I pulled the Woo, stone, and grate out.  I fully opened the bottom vent.  I had my smokeware cap on, but fully open.  That limits my medium to about 600 deg.  The gauge held steady at 600.  I swapped in my green egg thermo and it read the same.

After cooking all day and perhaps enjoying a few beverages I decided to pull my cap off.  I also pulled the gauge and put it in the snow.  After the gauge was cooled down and flames were shooting out the top of my egg I popped the gauge back in.  I went inside for a few minutes and came back out.  The gauge wrapped all the way and I watched it climb to "250" again.  Then all hell broke lose.  I'm not real sure what happened but the either the egg or the thermo made a loud pinging noise.  The gauge dropped back down to 200 and stayed solid.

I thought surely I broke it.  I was a little upset because it was the only blackface gauge I had.  I snuffed out the egg and went inside.  I came back out about an hour later and the gauge was now reading 300.  I swapped in my green egg thermo and it read 300 too.  I was amazed.  I brought the gauge inside and did a boiling water test.  It was within 2 degrees of my thermopen.  I was elated.  My gauge seemed none the worse for wear.  Exposed to direct radiant heat, snow, and a clean burn environment it lived.

I am very glad I have the gauge.  I have since put a white faced gauge on my XL.  I think I like the black more, but they both look nice.  An added bonus is I have not gotten any condensation in the face of either gauge.  Both my green egg gauges have condensation inside of them.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Disregard the sweating egg.  Cooking in the snow sure makes an egg sweat.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    I got one of those a few weeks ago. I check it for accuracy before I used it and it was right on. So for I like it, but now I am a little concerned since it is non-adjustable. I thought it was until I read this post.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    trout1 said:
    I got one of those a few weeks ago. I check it for accuracy before I used it and it was right on. So for I like it, but now I am a little concerned since it is non-adjustable. I thought it was until I read this post.
    So far I have had no issues.  If it survived my abuse I am pretty confident you don't have anything to worry about.

I think the adjustable nature of the Tel-Tru's cause more problems than they cure.

Thats why I abused it.  Before I bring up cool gadgets to the board I want to make sure I like it and think it will last.

(I have a bunch of ill advised purchases/gifts.  I don't tend to talk about those unless someone asks)
  • the_crease
    Options
    Nice write up which reminds me that I need to check the calibration on mine 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

(I have a bunch of ill advised purchases/gifts.  I don't tend to talk about those unless someone asks)

So you don't like the mangrates?

I really like the look of that thermometer.  I'm very surprised it cannot be calibrated - seems odd.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

So you don't like the mangrates?

I really like the look of that thermometer.  I'm very surprised it cannot be calibrated - seems odd.

I found it odd too.  However, after wrapping the thermo and dropping it in the snow and it still being within 2 degrees of my thermopen, I will take a non-adjustable one.  With the calibrateable ones you are only adjusting the zero.  You shift the face in relation to the dial indicator, you do not truly calibrate it.

Also, I love my mangrates, but won't ever openly admit that .. oh wait, dang it.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Full disclosure:  Matt sent me a set of the new gauges in exchange for giving him feedback from an engineer's perspective.

@blasting ... The non-adjustable feature bothered me also.  And, the nut on on the backside - that doesn't do anything - seemed to be taunting me.  I don't like to give up control. It's taken me a month to accept the change and decide to give it a chance.

My dealer has complained about the dome gauges always going out of calibration.  So one day I watched his guys assemble an egg.  They stuck the gauge in the egg, installed the useless clip on the stem, pushed the clip tight against the ceramic, and then spun the dial to center it.  The gauge was instantly out of calibration.  I think the same screw-up happens when the "average" owner uses the egg ... or the kids spin the gauge ... or the OCD guest straightens it out ... or you bumped it reaching for your drink.  I've check the calibration on my older gauges periodically but, since I removed the "useless clip", they haven't needed adjustment.

I think the non-adjustable gauge will be an improvement for the majority of egg users.  With it, the percent of thermometers, that are reading correctly, will be increased.

Oh yes, Ozzie did contribute to my acceptance.  He's my son, and I love him dearly, but that boy can screw up an anvil ... so if the thermometer can survive in his hands, that's good enough for me.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Jeepster47 let it go.  I was 7.  I didn't know that anvil was a family heirloom.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    nice writeup.  I like the look of those, very sharp.  what are some accessories you regret or don't use or don't like?  a few I can think of, both purchased as gifts: a wireless steak thermometer.  4 little probes that go into steaks.  they read doneness, not degrees.  totally useless.  and a reusable beer can chicken holder. all the chicken fat dripping all over it is disgusting and you'd never want to clean it or reuse it.  that's why you would use.... wait for it.... a beer can.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    @Jeepster47 let it go.  I was 7.  I didn't know that anvil was a family heirloom.
    NOW - we REALLY want to hear the rest of that story!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @blind99

A cheap instant read thermometer, a basting mop with a cloth head, square griddle from Nordicwear that was teflone coating, rack for hanging chicken legs, and small mesh wire fish and veggie basket.  I am sure there are more.

I have used all of the above, but I have found most the "do 1 thing better" cooking gadgets make that one item more complicated to cook and way harder to clean up.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I've never calibrated my BGE thermometer, and I've never had a problem.  But I also removed the clip ages ago.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Could've swore Matt said it would have a calibration adjustable nut. Hmmm...I guess as long as it holds cal it's okay. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Could've swore Matt said it would have a calibration adjustable nut. Hmmm...I guess as long as it holds cal it's okay. 
    There is a nut, but it doesn't adjust like the tel-tru's.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Hmmmm. I got one for the holidays and "Calibrated" it by dipping the probe in boiling water and turning the nut/dial/indicator. I think it did the trick and temps seem right. 

Pic below. Same thermo, right?  I love it -- easy to see temp from inside!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hmmmm. I got one for the holidays and "Calibrated" it by dipping the probe in boiling water and turning the nut/dial/indicator. I think it did the trick and temps seem right. 

Actually that is a different version than mine.  If you look my numbers are on the outside of the hash marks.
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I know it's weird but I like having my guage show the degrees past 700 up to like 900. Is that useful? Probably not but I like it. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options

Actually that is a different version than mine.  If you look my numbers are on the outside of the hash marks.
    Ha!  Like a Highlights magazine "find the differences"!  Tough for an old guy to do on the mobile device . . . anyhoo, I was able to calibrate on this model. And, with the contract of the white on black and large numbers, it's much easier to see from further away.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing just mentioning Highlights magazine says enough. I'd bet there's a whole demographic here that will have to google that. 

(Not me though)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Loved Highlights, it was the best thing about visiting the dentist.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I remember all the kids in school fighting over it when the new issue showed up in the library.  Undoubtedly some **** kid would circle all the answers in the pictures at some point and ruin it for the folks after them. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I remember all the kids in school fighting over it when the new issue showed up in the library.  Undoubtedly some **** kid would circle all the answers in the pictures at some point and ruin it for the folks after them. 
    sorry, I became an ass at an early age
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for the well written review.  The thermo on my XL is acting up.  Calibrated it with boiling water, but the needle is acting "jumpy" and not working as it did.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Interesting that they have different versions of this relatively new accessory. Like @HendersonTRKing, I got mine for Christmas and it was adjustable. The numbers on mine are also on the inside of the hash marks. Just for kicks, I went to their website to see which version they are currently selling. They had 2 pictures in the description for this item, and you guessed it - One picture has the numbers outside the hash marks and the other picture has the numbers inside the hash marks! Not sure which version you would get if ordering one.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/black-smokeware-temperature-gauge

I do like the gauge because it is easier to read from inside the house. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Eggaroo ... Which thermometer?  That's a hand-eye coordination test on their website.  Click on the one you want to order when it goes by. :o

Based on your question, I e-mailed Matt and asked which gauges are in the supply chain.  He said to call and they would provide you with the one you want ... either adjustable or non-adjustable.

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Lol. Thanks @Jeepster47. I guess if one would order online it would be luck of the draw. I like having the one that can be recalibrated as stuff does happen. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eggaroo said:
    Interesting that they have different versions of this relatively new accessory. Like @HendersonTRKing, I got mine for Christmas and it was adjustable. The numbers on mine are also on the inside of the hash marks. Just for kicks, I went to their website to see which version they are currently selling. They had 2 pictures in the description for this item, and you guessed it - One picture has the numbers outside the hash marks and the other picture has the numbers inside the hash marks! Not sure which version you would get if ordering one.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/black-smokeware-temperature-gauge

I do like the gauge because it is easier to read from inside the house. 

Might be be par for the course with smokeware. The cap also came out then after the fact when many I think complain about the shutdown they release the shut off cap in addition. so they sold some thermos you can't calibrate then fix and sell the right model.... Something seems off.
    but at least they get free beta testing huh.

send the one you can't calibrate back for the fixed one.... I would.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @SkinnyV ... Nothing is off.  Smokeware, like any good small business, is constantly striving to improve their product.  The ceramic cap, for the BGE company, is a positive shut down for daisy wheel users.  In a like manner, the flat cap is a positive shut down alternative for Smokeware cap users.  Quite a few daisy wheel and Smokeware cap users don't even use the alternative.

Likewise with thermometers, Smokeware is constantly working to come up with a better product.  I'm not the only individual Matt has provided product to in exchange for honest feedback.

Smokeware is not the only small business, providing product for BGE owners, who change their offerings over time.  Let's see, Chad increased the wire diameter on his KABs 'cuz we were using them without the OEM grate ... damn, I've got two of the old ones.  Tom changed the oval drip pan frame from plate to wire 'cuz it holds it's shape a little better ... damn, I've got the old plate one.  Luckily I think the kinks are worked out of the Mini-max woo, so that I'll have the advantage of one of the new ones.  Flameboss has come out with a couple of new controller models ... damn, my son was stuck with the semi-old FB100 until recently.  Firecraft and Rockwood just worked through some shipping issues with lump ... damn, some folks got a box of dust before that.  I'm sure if I spent more time, there would be many, many more examples of small BBQ businesses continuing to improve their product to make our life more enjoyable.  Oh yes, forgot, the Big Green Egg company has modified their XL dome and the fire-ring on the Mini-Max, and ...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @SkinnyV I understand your point, but I think you missed mine.

No dial gauges out there can be calibrated.  All you are doing is adjusting your zero.

If this one holds the zero, and it has for me, then I much prefer it over one with an adjustable zero.  I do not think anything is off.