Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Wednesday

Options
Round two with stir fry on the MM. It worked beautifully. Several folks are talking about stir fry lately and a few have asked for advice so I'm going to editorialize a bit - I hope it helps some folks. These are my opinions. 

First the wok needs to be hot - but what does that mean? Tonight I let the MM go with the dome closed, no top vent, bottom wide open until the dome temp was 500 degrees. Then I added my wok. Then you have to let the wok come up to temperature. I flick water into the wok and watch it's reaction to judge temperature. When the wok is too cold drops of water just sit there - then evaporate. When the wok gets hotter and you flick drops inside they will hit the pan and sizzle and carry on - evaporating in 1-2 seconds; that's not hot enough. I think the temp is right when the wok is smoking slightly and water drops roll around the bottom like beads of mercury - they no longer sizzle and evaporate. Yeah, I know - weird, huh? It's called the Leidenfrost Effect. 
Here's a link you might find interesting: http://youtu.be/0EOvh0DH_2E

Anyway when the wok is really hot it's time to stir fry. The trick now is not to add so much food that the wok cools too much. You have to either cook small amounts, not overloading the pan or have massive BTUs of heat that keep the wok hot. I usually cook the protein first and remove from the pan. The wok is usually a bit "gunky" from the meat marinade so I clean it quickly. I keep a small amount of water handy - 1/2 cup. Toss it in, use a brush and swish things around, and toss the water. Let the wok come back up to temp - it'll heat quickly by now on your egg. Add oil, cook the veggies. Add the protein back, sauce, heat through and plate up. I hope this helps someone out a little. This may not be the best way to stir fry but it works for me. 

Here are picks from tonight's cook.

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @SciAggie - that was a beautiful explanation of stir fry. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. Some people don't understand the importance of heat for these dishes to turn out correctly.  

I enjoy the fact that lots more people are posting wok cooks.  Your rocking it lately.

Your cook tonight looks crazy good!!   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Great explanation. Great cook!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Mattman3969 @theyolksonyou Thanks guys. I'm loving the MM for stir fry. I'm also really enjoying the interest folks are showing in this style of cooking. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beautiful mis en place and cook brother Sci!  It goes fast and yours looks excellent!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Great Post! Very interesting on Leidenfrost, did not know that. Looks exceptional too!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• SciAggie
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Beautiful mis en place and cook brother Sci!  It goes fast and yours looks excellent!
    Thanks. I probably should have mentioned how important it is to have everything ready to go before you start a stir fry - it does happen fast. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    ScottNC said:
    Great Post! Very interesting on Leidenfrost, did not know that. Looks exceptional too!
    Isn't that the coolest thing?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    The funny thing for stir fry cooking is all the time is in the prep. You may spend 30mins prepping for a 7min cook.  That sound bout right @sciaggie ?

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    Options
    The funny thing for stir fry cooking is all the time is in the prep. You may spend 30mins prepping for a 7min cook.  That sound bout right @sciaggie ?
    You nailed it. Having everything prepped is crucial. I even put S&P in little condiment cups - everything is measured out ahead of time. And yeah, once the first food goes in - 5-7 minutes for a cook. I've learned the hard way - you need plates ready to - where are going with things when they are ready? You need a plan before the food goes in. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the details :plus_one: Too many ancient Chinese secrets out there...I like the share the recipe and techniques philosophy. Once again, looks delicious. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @stemc33 Thanks. I'll never be rich - I always share my "secrets."
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great looking meal, and nice write up @SciAggie

Phoenix 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Spot on and looks delicious!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @blasting &  @Dredger Thanks y'all.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wow!  Just wow! Great write-up too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Always love a good wokkin.  You didn’t disappoint!

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Always love a good wokkin.  You didn’t disappoint!
    Sometimes I just forget how simple and tasty a stir fry can be. I always enjoy your stir fries as well. We should make this thread an ongoing thing. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Way to use the wok, SciAggie!  Looks great!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    very nice post & cook(s)!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great cook! And demo, back in the day. 

Do you use yolks only when making the noodles? Or eggs and some extra yolks?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:

I’ve been using one whole large egg to 85 grams of flour. That’s it...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

That sounds like something I could even do.  What is your method to make them into noodles?  Pasta maker?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Very nice! 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:

Doh! You’ve shared that with me before, but I must have forgotten. I used an egg per 100g of flour recently  and kept wondering why it was so hard to knead :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You use AP flour?
    Yes sir... mighty fine
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    Options
    You use AP flour?
    Yes, I picked this up from watching Pasta Grannies on YouTube. One large egg/85 g flour. Knead and then let it rest for 15-30 minutes. It makes enough pasta for me and my wife. 
    @caliking I use 100 g or so with XL eggs. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looks divine.  Nice work.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com