Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about using and storing a baking steel

Options
Hey all,

I'm having issues battling condensation in the egg overnight, which has resulted in some flash rust on my baking steel. Not sure if its just because of the recent weather, or if I need to adjust my method of storage (or lack there of...).

I've got an XLBGE with a XLWoo2, 15in ceramic pizza stone, 18in diameter 3/8in thick carbon steel plate.

I initially season the steel with a few layers of rapeseed oil, but figured out that doesn't really matter when I have the steel directly exposed to the coals with searing hot temps.

In general, I love the steel. It works well as a deflector for indirect cooks. It's been fun with pizzas. And it make an awesome griddle. Its pretty versatile and handy BGE tool.

So, a couple questions for anyone with insight or experience.

-Would putting the ceramic stone on the bottom of the XLWoo2 with the steel on felt line help maintain seasoning on the steel when using the BGE at searing temps?

-To avoid rust, do I just need to pull the steel out of the egg and store elsewhere?
XLBGE w/ Woo2

Memphis, TN

Comments