Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grid

Options
I just used my cast iron cooking grid for the first time to cook some ribeyes. How do you guys clean the grid afterwards, if at all?

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Let the dogs lick it off
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Clean it? How come?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Leave the crud on. It hides the rust. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    no clean up here - I just scrape any crud before the next cook. The more you use it the better it is seasoned. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    i have a half circle and i just put in the latest empty lump bag until i need it again. bag will get moldy if used too many times.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I guess the real discussion ought to switch to why ever switch back and forth. I use my cast iron 100% of the time. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Cast iron 99% - original when I do pizza 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    I guess the real discussion ought to switch to why ever switch back and forth. I use my cast iron 100% of the time. 
    Me too. Not too sure where my original is. I just scrape it off with the ash tool if it gets too much crud on it. Never had a problem with rust either. 

Little Rock, AR

• Laserlarry
    Options
    To clean a cast iron pan I warm up a mixture of bacon grease and Kosher salt and scrub the pan with a paper towel.Just warm enough to melt the grease.I store the pan with thin coating of bacon grease .
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    RRP said:
    I use the original for a platform for whatever cook I'm doing . I rarely cook directly on it. I put my CI half on it for direct searing with my Ang-L Brackets giving me the other half for finishing( dwell / broil ). Holds my folding raised grill clipped directly on to a 16" drip pan for easy indirects ( with PS ). Clip the 16" right to it for raised directs. I have used it for a three tier low and slow giving me 24" - 18" - 16" grills for massive real estate in my Xl :-)
     However , if / when the original goes , I will be getting a CI or stainless to replace it. Just can't see getting rid of it until I have to . :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I get a problem with rust on super-hot cooks where the seasoning burns off... but it isn't a big problem because I just reseason it.