Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killer BBQ Bean recipe needed - SOON!

Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Father's Day coming up ... going to do a butt and some BBQ beans for my 82 year old Father.[p]Any killer bean recipes you folks could send my way I would be grateful!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    meinbmw,[p]Chubby is you great bean recipe connection. Maybe he will chime in here in a few minutes! He may have posted a recipe earlier. You bay be able to search on his name![p]Smokey
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    meinbmw,[p]Here's on I've come up with over time. They're smokey and sweet, with a bit of heat! [p]
    Chubby’s “Firecracker Chipotle’ Baked Beans”[p]8 oz. chorizo or andouille, thinly sliced
    2 ½ cups chopped onions
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup bottled chili sauce
    1/3 cup dark molasses or sorghum
    1/3 cup pomegranate molasses
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    2 tsp. chipotle’ chile powder
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. ground cloves
    ¼ tsp. ground allspice
    1 (15 oz.) can black beans (drained & rinsed)
    1 (15 oz.) can canellini beans (drained & rinsed)
    1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)[p]Preheat EGG to 400 degrees dome temp. Configure a 5 qt. Dutch oven for direct cooking. Add chorizo & saute 3 mins. Add onion and saute 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust EGG to achieve eventual 300 degree dome temp. Stir in chicken broth, add remaining ingredients... and simmer, (partially covered) for appromimately 90 minutes....stirring occasionally! The liquid will reduce and thicken.[p]Yield....2 ½ qts.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Chubby, you sure about..."with a bit of heat."[p]
  • Chubby
    Sandbagger,[p]Perception...my man, perception!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    meinbmw,
    Chubby's beans are great! However, make sure you are outside when eating them and don't plan any extend trips in crowded automobiles within 4 hours of ingestion. This is the voice of experience talking here.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    d02b78ed.jpg
    <p />meinbmw,[p]They are not the traditional BBQ baked beans with brown sugar & bacon but I make spicy pinto beans and some milder great northern beans. [p]beans2.jpg[p]Both use twice smoked shanks or hocks. Both can be a meal in themselves, the pinto's go better with barbecue. Both can be made a day ahead and both benefit from some corn bread on the side.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    thirdeye,
    The beans in the top photo....have a recipe for them you can share?? Love to try them out.....

• Chubby
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Speak for your "flatulant self"....my friend!![p]Call me when you have time!!!!!!![p]Evans
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    GenesGrill,[p]Geez, I guess that would help. Click the link and look in Side Dishes. There is also a ca..cann..canned..(okay I said it)..recipe there with a similar flavor. It uses a can of beans and a can of beer and can be made in less than an hour.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Lawn Ranger,
    I did ask for a KILLER recipe, didn't I? ROTFLMAO!!!!!

• mmmmm-bean.JPG
    <p />meinbmw,
    I start with a big pot of boston baked beans (northern beans, onion, br. sugar, molasses, mustard) When they are done I flavor them up with bacon, bbq sauce, a little chili powder, diced peppers (bell, jalapeno). Then they cook in the smoker for to cook the bacon & peppers. A big fistfull of pulled pork (finely chopped) has been known to be thrown in. [p]**NOTE**
    This is a two day process!

• meinbmw,
    Here is a good recipe![p]A good friend of mine gave me his bean recipe. He also gave me a sample. GOOD STUFF! Give them a try.
    Chuck Wagon Beans
    1 (30 oz.) can Van Camps pork & beans
    4 T. brown sugar, packed
    1 sm. onion, chopped
    3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
    Bacon drippings
    1/8 - 1/4 c. catsup
    1 T. prepared mustard
    If preferred, add some garlic
    Mix in Pyrex or earthen ware bowl. Smoke, uncovered, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I use hickory chunks and keep the water pan 3/4 full.

• meinbmw,[p]These will sound strange but I just did them and they were the best beans I'v ever done.[p]8 slices of bacon
    2 can Bush's BBQ beans
    1 can of Peach Pie Filling
    1 red onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1-2 chopped chipotle pepper with adobo[p]I cooked the chopped bacon and removed leaving some fat to cook the onion and peppers. After sweating them for 10 min. or so I added the chipotles. Then addend beans, peach pie filling, salt and pepper. Cooked for awhile and then done.[p]Hope this helps,
    BULLET

• Almost forget, 1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce.[p]
    BULLET

• abarkley
    abarkley Posts: 7
    pretty easy and pretty darn good too:

1 big can bush's original baked beans(lunchroom size can)
    1 vidalia onion
    1 bell pepper
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 cup brown sugar
    1.5 cups bullseye original bbq sauce
    .5-1.0 lb cooked pulled pork or ground beef optional
    dice the onion and bell pepper saute them and the minced garlic in some evoo. pour your beans bbq sauce, and brown sugar on top of the pepper and onion and cook on med high for about 45 min. reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally enough to keep the beans from sticking. cook the beans down to your desired sauce thickness. if you get them too thick add some water back to them. put your meat in if you decide to use it about 30 min before you serve the beans. freeze what you dont use, and they are better the second time than the first time.
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Chubby,[p]Re the pomegranate molasses. Not readily available here. Can I take some 100% pomegranate juice and boil it down to replicate? Maybe add some sugar? Otherwise I will just order on the internet and wait a week or so to try your recipe.
  • Chubby
    BOBF,[p]yep...I think you could.[p]If you're ordering...[p]"Cortas" is a good brand, IMO.[p]The beans are good without it....but just not quite the same![p]PM is one of those things that is hard to replicate with other things...[p]Tamarind paste from the Carribian is sort'a close.[p]Evans[p][p]
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Chubby,
    Thanks. I bought some bottles of 100% pomegranate juice and I think I will try to reduce it down without scorching. But to be safe, I will order some Cortas. Regards, will let you know how it turns out. Now if I just had a real cane kettle I could really be in business.