Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Burgers

Options
SirKeats
SirKeats Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanna try using some ground brisket for some burgers for my BDay this weekend. Am currious if there's anything special I should ask/look for in the brisket I use for the grind... should it be trimmed of fat at all? How big of a brisket do I need for 4 good sized burgers (there will be 4 of us)? Any tips on ground brisket would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I actually did this a month and a half ago. I took a 7 lb. brisket and chunked it up, added Cowlick and a little beef broth/bbq sauce to the chunks and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days. I coarse ground everything and made some sausage and burgers, they were very good. There is definitely and distinct texture and flavor to ground brisket. The good thing is you can grind it and freeze it or make some chili with the meat you do not use for burgers.[p]Good luck with it![p]BBQ Bob Trudnak

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P10100532.jpg
    <p />SirKeats,[p]Did some this weekend Nick![p]I picked up a Choice Flat...and had it 2x ground![p]This patty is about 8'' accross...with Smoked Mozzarella cheese
    and Shallots inside,(just 2 thinner patties layered) @ about
    1 1/2 lbs. total![p]P10100542.jpg[p]"Seared hard and uber hot"...then dwelled on the Small untill
    the cheese was melted!![p]We shared...and it was good!![p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I had to try this after hearing about it, last Thursday I bought the flat cut brisket, missing the point I believe, I didn't trim any fat off, I ground the meat myself at home, 1 course ground attachment, and 2nd the fine ground, I then disenagrated a vidallia onion in the Magic Bullet, and added some worcechester sauce, froze half and fed about 5 people burgers, the best burger I've had in my 26 years of living. Good Luck Jason

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Chubby,
    Man you always kill me with those pictures! You are THE MAN! I did regular ole plane jane burgers last night(and some tuna steaks;) I gotta get me one of those cast iron grates. Just for grins I poked the burgers with my brand spankin new thermopen(thanks mollyshark) at 15 minutes into the cook and they were only 118. It seems I'm poking everything with it just to test it out. My wife won't even come in the room when I have it.

• Chubby
    Options
    ronbeaux,[p]Well...you have me blushing!![p]I'm with you...cast iron is the real deal for searing steaks, chops,and burgers![p]Your wife is probably wise to steer clear of you till you get this "poking thing"/// out of your system!![p]Someone....find the dogs and get them to safety!
    LOL!!!!!!!!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Chubby,
    Be careful what you poke.HA HA.

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Where does one get a cast iron grate for a BGE?
  • Chubby
    Options
    darnoc,[p]I'm thinkin'...right now...[p]He's just considered ..."armed, and dangerous"!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    SirKeats,[p]BGE make one for the Large, and the Medium![p]Check with Smitty to see if the distributer will have any avaliable @ EBTB!![p]This is on my Small...I made it by cutting out of a square blank!![p]Evans