Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"New" old school BBQ toy added to my arsenal

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    GregW said:
    cazzy said: wonder if I can get a stainless steel grid made.  I figured it was SS so that sucks to hear it isn't.  
    I've searched on the web to get a custom grid made. I've found places to get a round or rectangular one made.
    I haven't found anyone who can duplicate the shape of the PK grid.

Back in the early spring I sent PK support an email expressing my dislike for the PK grid. The very nice lady sent me a new grid and also a wood scraper to help prevent damage to the grid during cleaning. PK support is top notch.

My PK was way out of warranty......at least 6 yrs old

The support lady said they were coming out with a better grid. I assumed it would be a stainless grid. Apparently she was talking about the grill mates.

I wonder if the grill mates replace the standard grid, or do they simply lay on top of the grid? Well, I looked on the PK site....they show the grill mates on top of the standard grate. 

I would like to hear some feedback on the grill mate. They look pretty good.

I spoke with Martha this morning and she said they're about 6 months away from offering a SS replacement grid.  Apparently, they recently acquired equipment to do so.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options

blind99 said:
    Great looking grill. I'm jealous because I know you'll be dousing briquettes in lighter fluid and getting real grilled taste from that sucker!
    Haha...no way I will ever use lighter fluid.  That is what charcoal starters are for.  A lil butcher paper underneath and you're golden.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I spoke with Martha this morning and she said they're about 6 months away from offering a SS replacement grid.  Apparently, they recently acquired equipment to do so.
    You refreshed my memory....the nice lady was named Martha.
    I hope they hurry up with the S/S grid.

The PK does excellent steaks with the indirect/direct method. Grilled oysters are excellent also. The PK can cook very hot and really do the oysters justice. It has everything flames and smoke that seems to complement the oysters....very similar to what Drago's does.
  • cazzy
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Finally broke her in this evening!   =)

Ash (oldest daughter) walked downstairs and Kyle (son) and I were eating steak off the cutting board.  Ash asked, "we're not going to sit down?"  I said, " nah, mom isn't home!" With a mouth and handful of steak, Kyle said, "we're carnivores and are eating with our hands tonight!"  B) 

No sides, plates, forks or chairs were needed tonight!  Heck, I don't even think we used a napkin! :D

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great cook but even better dialog.  Trained 'em right!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I saw at least one briquette in there. You are doomed.

But at least you're teaching the kids well!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Great looking cook. And I did some eating with my hands today as well. Never got to sitting down as I was cutting the Tri-Tip. I had to make sure I was cutting it against the grain correctly.  =)
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I grew up with a similar grill. My mom was a master. She smoked a mean turkey breast, country-style ribs, chicken hind quarters, baby backs. Great memories. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    In the 60's that company was called Portable Kitchen.  I had one of their early grills and absolutely loved it... Somewhere in many "relocations" bits and pieces of it seemed to have disappeared but I will always have fond memories of that grill!

In the mean time... for over 13 years now... I love my eggs!!  Best cooker I have ever bought !!

Enjoy the "PK"!!

Rick
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I had one of these about 50 years ago. The best charcoal grill, before the egg, that I ever had. Top and bottom vents only. This provides great temp control. And aluminum makes it light weight and very portable. Don't know if mine was a PK but built the same.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Its definitely ole skool it it doesnt have a temp gauge. It should pair well with the Vault. Meal looks fantastic. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Chubbs said Mangrates :o 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    Options
    motowfo said:
    In the 60's that company was called Portable Kitchen.  I had one of their early grills and absolutely loved it... Somewhere in many "relocations" bits and pieces of it seemed to have disappeared but I will always have fond memories of that grill!

In the mean time... for over 13 years now... I love my eggs!!  Best cooker I have ever bought !!

Enjoy the "PK"!!

Rick
    It still is a Portable Kitchen grill...but most peeps, including them, uses it's nickname.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @cazzy ..should work nice for a 2 zone cook..fire that baby up

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI